1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Alexandra Quick and the Thorn Circle by Inverarity - K+

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by ray243, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I agree more or less. This has been a great book, and I've enjoyed the hell out of reading it, but I'm not 100% sure where it's going.

This chapter in particular was fantastic though. Archie knows now, apparently, we've had it out with Claudia, Livia gets to see/understand how good Alex is (or perhaps how lacking she herself is), the demon!thingy is back and killed Martha, Alex has been practicing a ton, etc. Great chapter all around.

2. Meneldur

Meneldur Third Year

Based on all that we've seen until now, I'd say it's pretty obvious it'll be some sort of decisive fight against John (or his minions), which will at least reveal his motivation.

3. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not much happening. Seems more to be a transitioning chapter.

4. Meneldur

Meneldur Third Year

True, although I will note that it seems to have resolved the question of Alexandra's relationship with Claudia, advanced her relationship with Livia, and offered us very interesting hooks for next year.

5. Ched

I gotta say, I loved this paragraph:
    Something about the imagery that provoked just made me laugh out loud (really) and grin, while still managing to convey a sense of creepy. Nice.

Plus the repeated reference to it as some form of a "baby mummy" makes me giggle while reminding me of how wrong the thing is.

I'm beginning to think that this is all leading up to some big revelation somehow related to the Stars Above. So far their participation in this book hasn't really warranted naming it after them, but there's still time.

I was also really impressed by this bit nearer the end:
    Just something about the pacing/wording of several points in this chapter impressed me as being quite well done. *shrug* The bit with Brian was another one, or some of it was. As was some of Alex's irritation with how the adults don't seem very helpful (or to believe her) half the time, but then they seem to know about stupid stuff like her practicing the Patronus.

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  6. Ched

Another good chapter. Though making the thing a gift was a bit... out there.

I really, really hope that the adults believe Alex this time when she tells them what happened. It'd be really pushing it if they didn't this time.

7. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

Oh noes!!

Evil cliffhanger is evil.

Monday needs to hurry up and come.

8. ray243

ray243 Seventh Year

Wow, can't wait for the last chapter. I am surprised that John wasn't responsible for the attacks on Alex in the first half of the year. I wonder who is really responsible for it.

9. Ched

Yeah, that got me too. More curious than ever about the stuff surrounding Mary Dearborn. Great chapter though. The scene where he's slashing at Alex was suitably scary and in character both.

10. ray243

ray243 Seventh Year

Seems like Alex has finally been properly punished for her actions. I would be very interested to see how she developed as a person in the next book.

11. Anme

Anme Professor

Shame it's over again. I will be waiting for the next one.
    I liked the last few chapters the most of the book. And indeed, it will be interesting to see how the next book will start now that Alexandra is expelled.

12. Meneldur

Meneldur Third Year

Properly punished? I need to gather my thoughts a bit more, but if this was a normal situation, I'm pretty sure she (or her parents) could sue them over endangering her. I think this was simply a foregone conclusion that had to happen at some point. But in any case, I think the school is at much to blame as Alexandra, if not more so; nor does this preclude Alexandra from getting a magical education elsewhere, or continuing to practice magic.

Also, I'm betting she'll be getting a wand from the Grannies while there on Jubilee, and that will certainly be interesting.

13. Ched

Hm, yeah, I'm getting a bit tired of Dean Grimm being so inept at dealing with Alex. We repeat the same thing over and over, where Grimm knows that Alex is going to do something and yet she continues to not try to work with Alex at all. I know that she shouldn't have to, but even so.

Also a bit tired of Alex pushing away her father so forcefully. I know she's mad and has good reason to be, but it still starts to grate.

At any rate -- this was a great book and addition to the series, but I didn't quite feel like it stood up to books 2 or 3. I'm looking forward to book 5 though, plenty of places that things can go from here!

14. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

I loved the action and Alexandra in this book.
    But the adults in this book are even more incompetent than before. Dean Grimm is an idiot, her dad is an idiot, etc.
    There's no end to the havoc that results when no one tells Alexandra anything. Its so obvious that if something isn't done about something Alexandra will take action into her own hands...and yet, every single time, adults find it neccesary to keep her in the dark and otherwise marginalize her. It makes little sense.
    but otherwise, this book was amazing.
    5/5
    I just hope that Inverarity has a great explanation for why the adults in this book were so dumb.

15. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Have to agree, I was on Alexandra's side the whole time. Her life was in danger over and over again the adults were never enough to protect her so, she always had to handle stuff herself. It's unreasonable to expect such a person to lay low just because they said so without offering proof. She has every reason to think that they are incompetent/are not doing enough.

Sure, she did dumb things that she didn't think all that much through but if she had obeyed the adults the whole time, she would have been dead a long time ago.

16. Juggler

Juggler Death Eater DLP Supporter

So the school's wards really can be weakened by a (fairly intelligent, but not exactly special) ninth grader? And Dean Grim is outraged that students got hurt because of it? I'm still a bit tired of Alexandra's character, because her unrelenting bitchitude grates on the nerves, but she's fast becoming one of the only likeable characters.

I think it would've been a strong point to make in the conversation between Alexandra and her father, that John had kept fewer truths from her than her father had. Despite attempting to hurt her at every meeting, the guy still did better for her than her father had.

Lastly, I found the parity of the fates of John and Nigel, insofar as Alexandra is concerned, to be a really cool similarity. Somewhere along the line I got the feeling that John dying would mean the same for Nigel, and while Nigel is still alive, he now has no active participation in her life. Maybe I was just slow to the uptake (I'm not going to read through this whole thread), but in a story with such normally visible themes, that was a nice touch.

17. Ched

That reminds me -- in the previous chapter I thought Larry was a bit stupider than warranted as well. He should know enough about Alex at this point to give her the benefit of the doubt when she says there's some kind of fucking monster in the woods and that he should get away from where it might be.

Other kids might not have believed Alex. Larry might not have believed other kids. But in that situation having Larry more or less blow off the possible threat didn't feel right. He knows that Alex isn't a coward and isn't likely to severly overestimate a threat, and he knows that if there really was a monster lurking about in the woods that chances are it's probably got something to do with Alex.

That said... some folks seem irritated with Abraham Thorn, and he's one of the few adults that I'm not irked with. I like him and his character, and it's a pity we don't see a bit more of him. I mean, sure, he's the "bad guy" in many senses, but he does seem to genuinely want to protect Alex. More importantly he's one of the very, very few people in this story capable of properly protecting Alex, and she knows that. All the other adults in her life might blow her off when she talks about what she's done, or that there's something/someone trying to kill her, but Abraham generally seems to believe her. That should count for something.

And despite it being somewhat in character for Alex, I'm about ready for her to have told Abraham about the seven years to live thing. He'd be a great resource, and it's not like she's telling him about something she's going to do (in which case he could act to prevent her).

...but yeah, other than that, what Garden said to a point.
    It does make little sense. It made sense in the first two years or so, maybe even in the third year. But by this point it's patently obvious that if Alex sees a problem that could get her or her friends/family killed, and can't see that much of anything is being done, she acts. It's not really something she should be faulted for, given the circumstances. Dean Grimm should by all rights have at least told Alex what was being done/planned about the baby!mummy!monster, or at the very least let her know that she was believed and that they hadn't just brushed off the threat. Including Alex just a little in things like that would go a very long way with her, but time after time they just don't.

I get that part of that is because in the "real world" Alex is a child and children aren't supposed to be involved in stuff like that, no matter the circumstances. So from that standpoint I guess I can't fault it, but still.

Still like Tsotsie reasonably well, if only because he seems straightforward for the most part. And at least a little bit more willing to listen to what Alex has to say without trivializing it than most adults.

18. ray243

ray243 Seventh Year

It seems that the teaching staff have a real problem in regards to communicating with youths and children in general. However, even if they did tell Alex how much measures they put in to protect her, there is still a chance she would think that those measures aren't enough.

19. Ched

Heh, I've gotten in such a habit about reading this story that I did a double take just now when I said to myself "...and I can read AQ at midnight, so I need to be done with X by then..." only to realize that AQ is over for, I assume, at least a year. :facepalm

Inverarity has some end-of-story Author's Notes here. I hope you don't mind me posting that here Inverarity, since you haven't posted yourself since the story ended, but I thought others might be as interested as I was.

20. Inverarity

Inverarity Groundskeeper

No, I don't mind. You are all welcome to comment there as well. I've enjoyed the comments and discussion here, and I hope you are all around for book five. :)