1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

All Hallow's Eve: Yea or Nay?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mournthewicked, Oct 19, 2005.

?

All Hallow's Eve: Yea or Nay?

1. Yea!

99.4%
  2. Nay!

0.6%
  1. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

i experimented with religions... i was pagan there for a bit.. never experimented with the satanism garbage but yeah.. and my uncle is one of those bible belt preachers... i got the whole "j00 i5 d4 d3b1l!!" speech...

god i hated christianity before but by that time... i was ready to crucify Christ myself...

2. HashBrowns

HashBrowns First Year

The house I grew up in totally turned me off religion for life. Besides IMO religion is mainly so that the sheep will feel better about the inevitability of death.

3. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Christianity basically mind raped the towns it'd take over, adding in the holiday's it deemed "safe" and rewording them a bit to seem like an original idea, and vilifying those deemed "bad for the spread of religion"

Satan, Lucifer, I forget where the roots of those words come from, but they had been around for centuries.

The goat like devil? Greek/Roman mythological being the Satyr, etc.

I went through the bible once and dissected it, its a fucking shame how fake and what an utter ripoff that religion is. Almost every chapter contradicts one that has the same events, even when the "authors" were sitting next to each other. Toss in the fact that the Old testemant was written long after all the guys involved DIED, and the new testament was written specifically to add more spin to the religion and you just have one giant clusterfuck.

And am I gonna go to hell for having unclean thoughts about Mourn and those damned vampire teeth?

4. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

she 18 so it's legal to have thought like that....moral wise i donno

5. Warlock

Warlock First Year

correction. she SAYS she's 18 large difference

6. Burt

Burt Fourth Year

1., I highly doubt you were Pagan. You might have been Wiccan, or some other neo-Pagan spinoff, but not Pagan. Most Pagan literature is gone. We only have a vague idea about what they worshipped, and we don't really know how they went about their worshipping (although, there's apparently "evidence" that their worship was simmilar to modern Christian worship). If you were a Wiccan, I'd like to point you to this site. And actually read the essay, don't just glance at the headder and say that it's Christian propaganda.

2., don't just wave your gun blindly at Satanism. Christians say that Satanists worship the devil -- but this is untrue. Satanists don't worship anyone; they embrace their own selves. In reality, nobody really practices Christianity anymore -- in fact, if someone were wholly Christian, Republicans would probably bemoan them as a Communist. Satanism, on the other hand, embraces Capitalism as a part of its religion, in the same way that Christians should embrace Communism. Satanists simply stand for the benifit of ones self and ones loved ones over the benifit of the Sheep.

While I disagree with many aspects of Satanist philosophy, it still annoys me when people repeat propaganda without even realizing it. Read Anton LaVey's books before you start judging Satanism -- LaVey, by the way, was the one who founded the Church of Satan.

3., if you reject Christianity, then you are the devil. That's what 'devil' is defined as, you know? Someone who refuses Christ.

If it were all logical, it would be philosophy or science, not religion. Religion is religion because it requires faith. Don't think for a minute that the Pagan religions that were 'ripped-off' were any more logical than Christianity.

I do agree that Christianity mimicks several aspects of the religions that were floating about the Mediteranian at the time, but you must realize that they weren't 'ripping off' anyone. They were simply carrying with them aspects of the religions that they had left.

In the Western World, when we think of religion, we think of temples and churches. And that's what the Egyptions and Greeks and Romans all thought of as well. Today, when someone tells you that they 'cast magic' by sitting around, naked, in a circle of candles with twelve other naked people, you think it's odd.

This whole 'thinking that foreign stuff is odd' deal isn't new by any means. And people won't take a religion that does something that peculiar as seriously.

In the days of Christ, there weren't just four or five major religions, three of which were variants of eachother. There were dozens of temples dedicated to dozens of different faiths just in once city. Churches competed against one-another for followers. And doing something strange, while getting you attention, would also make people think that you're a joke.

The Christians simply understood basic marketing stratagy: supply and demand. So they made their churches just what the local people wanted them to be. They gave the local people all the holidays that they wanted (altering them so that they were celebrating the Christian Trinity, of course).

Yes, the Bible was written after the Church was founded, but that doesn't mean that the people who wrote it were trying to trick their followers. The Bible has survived, more or less in tact, for thousands of years. If the Bible hadn't been written, then Christianity might have been forgotten, or drastically altered. They were trying to preserve Christianity as they knew it when they wrote the Bible.

7. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

good point

random question but what are the 7, or whatever number, sins again...i know lust and glutton donno the rest...i just wanna see how many of them i've done.. :twisted:

8. mournthewicked

mournthewicked Mistress

You want proof? I would think that me saying I am is enough. I don't lie. I turned 18 on August 8th this year.

Yeah, I've had those teeth for a few years. They are really good quality. XD No, vampire teeth are sexy. I don't mind.

I know many adults around where I live who style themselves "Pagan", though. And I'm not talking about people in their 20-30s, I'm talking about mid-40s+.

9. Midknight

Wasn't saying they were, my point was more towards, the Christians utterly take every word as truth, instead of looking at it as a general slap upside the head. The whole book basically says, treat ppl the way you'd want to be treated... no shit duh!

Trust me I had to do a report on it when I was 16 for the church my mom was forcing me to go to, when I disagreed with the good Father about the religion. Well over half of the Mainstream Christian religion is utterly ripped from pre-existing ones. They didn't "bring" it with them peacefully. The existing religion was killed, or tortured most of the time, and their religion absorbed, twisted, and used against them most of the time. Giving some of the forceful converts aspects that they recognized, and already worshipped, made the conversion process easier. The church was among the leading causes of death for quite many years back in the day. Whether is was from crusades, stupid choices, etc, they still axed quite a lot of heretics/heathens/anyone who didn't think like them

Sorry, 12 nutjobs, naked, casting fake spells is fucked, no way around that. Greek oracles that sat next to braziers full of various opiates on fire didn't "see" anything other then the hallucinations.

I agree about the supply and demand, often forceably. In the dark ages, the church was pretty much the only place you'd find literate people. Their interpretations of laws, and the Bible helped shape much of the world, but keeping the peons mostly ignorant, enlightening them only in what the clergy saw fit. Hell, the holdover from years back, the Catholic church, has so much power and money, it's considered a seperate nation from the damned country it's in!

And as far as satanism goes, i dunno what the true core belief of it is, but when the majority of people I've seen who practice it do it only because it means they can have drug induced orgies while cutting each other, it doesn't lead to me giving a damn what it's really all about.

IMHO, with the world so Christian oriented, calling yourself the "Church of Satan" is utterly fucking stupid. That's like going into a white supremist bar as a black, gay, rapper, with a white, gay, rapper on your arm and expecting to be given a fair chance.

10. Midknight

That's when you just call them gay-gan and get it over with.

Pride is excessive belief in one's own abilities, that interferes with the individual's recognition of the grace of God. It has been called the sin from which all others arise. Pride is also known as Vanity.

Envy is the desire for others' traits, status, abilities, or situation.

Gluttony is an inordinate desire to consume more than that which one requires.

Lust is an inordinate craving for the pleasures of the body.

Anger is manifested in the individual who spurns love and opts instead for fury. It is also known as Wrath.

Greed is the desire for material wealth or gain, ignoring the realm of the spiritual. It is also called Avarice or Covetousness.

Sloth is the avoidance of physical or spiritual work

Personally, Lust and Pride are my worst =( Ah well, without sin we'd all be a buncha carbon copy idiots who'd go to hell the minute you stepped on an ant, or your white blood cells "killed" a bacteria in you

11. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

this is bad. because if these are sins, which is stupid of this because everyone did at least of them, then i'm burn in the deepest pit of hell...i pretty much did everything but sloth...i donno if i should cry or laugh. :?

12. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Same here...I'm guilty of every sin but sloth. I'm also an atheist, and good point Mid, the next time some religious weirdo gets on my case for killing a fly, I'll tell him he's killing millions of lifeforms daily.

13. Burt

Burt Fourth Year

Exactly, exactly. The Papacy was it's own nation. It was a government -- the most powerful government in the continent. It wasn't a religion. I think that there should be a distinction between the governments that used the religion, and the religion itself.

The Satanists say that they're referencing some old definition for 'satan.' I don't think that they expect to be given a fair chance. They expect to get the worse deal. It's a weird masochistic thing, I think -- I don't quite get it myself....

Which is why the Christians did what was normal instead -- built temples. The Wiccans and Neo-Pagans don't seem to agree with this "go with the flow" philosophy, though... so they sit around naked instead.

Do neither. If you don't know anything about your religion, you can't really say that you're a practitioner of it. Either read the bible and go to church, or say 'fuck it all' and become an atheist. Don't just limbo like my dad.

My dad, by the way, was raised Mormon, but calls himself Christian, and doesn't practice either.

14. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

Which is exactly why they are labeled as sins. So the only possible way you can escape the fiery depths of hell is by their religion.

And that is my biggest gripe with religion. I am always told that it doesn't matter what I do as long as I believe. I don't know about you but when I hear the words "All you have to do..." I automatically think ripoff. There is something seriously fucked up about a theology that states that you could rape and murder a dozen women and it won't matter as long as you believe in Christ. That is subverting rules of morality and ethics that is worse then what they claim atheism does and I cannot find a valid reason for supposedly benevolent and merciful God to have a Hell where there is no chance for redemption when you get there. In terms of the afterlife I think Eastern Philosophy is far more rational where you continue into the life cycle until you learn to lead the life of a sage, it is basically saying that eventually everyone succeeds and it overall positive outlook on humanity that is far more helpful then the negativity that surrounds the Western religions.

15. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

I'm Hindu not christian.

16. Burt

Burt Fourth Year

Then why do you care about the sins? o_O

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ok lets save this conversation for the religous topic that has been made, and get back to Halloween.

i love halloween its cools, free candy parties, weird people, parties, girls are kind of earsier to get with, plus its a shiut load of fun going around and tippying houses,a dn setting off stink bombs on door steps.
    Haha one year me and my friend where jumping a fence to get into the community pool so we could cut through it, unfortunatly it had barb wires on the top, while that didn't stop us it didn't help when the wire reipped my pants leg from the crotch to the foot end, man was i getting a breeze that night.

Anyone around here raising some evil demons and shit and doing some cult sect vampire shit that you see on tv?

Or are you going out and getting really drunk and wasted and having fun scaring little kids shitless.

Are you going to a haunted house or dressing up, or trying to have sex with your girlfriend while her parents are in the other room.

18. Avitus

Avitus Groundskeeper

me n my brothers will probably try n do some kind of seance shit to scare my dad, its really fun lol

19. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

All Hallows Eve is a religious holiday, which has been commercialized, thus I find the conversation mostly on topic.

Raise evil demons? I'm sure everyone who eats too much candy will be raising demons that make your friends and family cringe at the odor...

20. HashBrowns

HashBrowns First Year

I'll just go to some party get wasted and hook up with some chick. You know, the usual.