1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Almost Recommendable Worm Fanfiction

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by NoxedSalvation, Nov 12, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Plotless

Plotless High Inquisitor

Wow. Your thoughts in your comment are exactly the same as mine. I didn't like almost any of the recommendations, but they have such a cult-like following that they win despite of the blatantly missing quality of work.

2. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    On the best of 2015 list:

Don't really follow the Worm quests, so no comment there.

One Shots: Meh, Provocation I wasn't too hot on, but I guess it was sound enough, burnout was meh and uninspired, a bit clichéd. Dusty Silk Costume was okay and haven't read Guardian although it seems to have three chapters, so not sure why it's in the one shot category. Now that I did, it's okay, I guess, but nothing spectacular and most definitely not a one shot. Also, not written or updated in 2015 so, doubly confused why it is in the best oneshots of 2015 list.

SI and OC: Well, going to preface this by saying that I don't very much like the Worm SI. I prefer the form of SI that has been made popular by DoS, the SI that is reincarnated into the fandom world and grew up in it, got used to it and its conventions over a life time. Not the type of SI that gets sucked in through a DVD or a wizard dumped him into this world or whatever. Generally speaking, those tend to be bad because of that premise alone.

Dire Worm was amusing, IIRC but not exactly quality material. Nero story is hilarious and entertaining in small dosages, one chapter a time but can outstay its welcome. Last chapter especially was very lackluster, so, not sure if its charm has worn off or if that chapter in particular was of low quality.

3. Angush

Angush Squib

High Score:
    The description for the category in the nomination thread specified it was actually for oneshots and shorts (5 chapters or less). But the category itself was just called 'oneshots'.

It does seem kinda silly that Guardian wasn't actually touched in 2015. But I think the OP put the wrong link in there. This oneshot, is also called Guardian, and is by the same author, and was posted on Dec 24, 2015. Though I only know that because it was posted just after I posted part 1 of Alexis. I'll let him know to correct it.
    Do you prefer that kind of SI with knowledge of canon from birth, knowledge that grows over-time, or just as an SI?

4. Nemrut

High Score:
    Honestly, whether you call it an SI or an OC with knowledge, doesn't really matter to me. As long as it is written well and avoids certain clichés or tropes, I'm usually on board, no matter which of those you listed.

In general, I do prefer OCs since I very, very rarely am convinced that the SI is an SI. It's almost never the author as they are in the story but rather a character based on them. And that's for the best, really, since very few people could do what the people in canon can do, and having some armchair general stumble into Worm and dominate the place just reeks of badfic, no matter how it is written.

The SI or OC reincarnated, on the other hand, gives them time to acclimate to the setting, if they have knowledge on the setting, that way, they can spend a lot of time preparing and I don't necessarily mean get super strong before they are 8 but rather, know which direction to take in life in a relatively early age, grow up with whatever supernatural element is there.

It works excellently for NAruto. Someone who just gets dumped in there or takes over the body of someone or whatever, just doesn't work for me there. on the other hand, if they are there since birth, go to the school, learn as the canon characters learn, then that's a lot more believable but also effectively not a SI anymore. At that point, with over a decade or two of whole new set of experiences and skills, that's a completely different person, an OC by all means.

I realize that you don't really have that opportunity in Worm, if your SI is born roughly at the same time as Taylor, well, so what. You don't get powers until you trigger and you can't really influence that. Guess you could go something like be a child to a canon cape but meh.

Dunno, so far, haven't really found an enjoyable Worm SI the way I have in other fandoms.

As to the knowledge type, the knowledge helps shape them and have them act in a certain way and I guess I kinda like that. But I also enjoyed an SI without any knowledge on the source material or limited info on the setting, so, it really depends on the execution.

5. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

I think there are some major limitations based on universe.

When you're throwing an SI/OC into a complete fantasy world like Naruto, then even if they have no idea on the source content, there's still the stark culture clash that can be explored. You're seeing how someone from our world, with our values and mindset deals with being thrown into a darker, more violent world. Another aspect that's often explored is being an adult in a child's body - they're smarter (and hence become geniuses), they struggle to interact with people their own age and they often worry/creep out people older than them. That aspect also gives a good explanation on why they become powerful prodigies and become main characters in the plot - they can learn faster and better than their peers.

The majority of good SIs (Vapors, Dreaming of Sunshine, In Bad Faith, etc) I've read do NOT actually explore the premonition of knowledge and events that much, as the story often changes enough by that point that the knowledge is moot anyway.

In Worm however, the world is almost identical to our society apart from capes, so the storyline is mostly limited to exploring the OC/SI's knowledge of canon to be worthwhile. I think as a concept, those stories will generally be limited to fun fics with very little depth, banking on various 'reveals' throughout.

Given the nature of powers, and the lottery bag aspect of them, it's hard to make the SI powerful without making them seem like a Mary Sue. It's not like their world experience from this world is particularly applicable as a Cape, and if they ARE reborn as a child, well, they may as well just be any other character from that universe (rather than an SI/OC). So really, all they have is their knowledge of the future.

That's why I think Going Native did a decent job. It's actually trying to build the character, his friends, his currently situation up before jumping back into him affecting the main plot. It has somehow managed to keep that aspect of having knowledge of the canon without feeling too cheesy about it. Which is I think the best possible way a Worm SI fic could turn out (well that, or a more comedy focused one one like I, Greg).

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  6. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

I have yet to read a full on serious SI story where the character has foreknowledge that could not be improved by just removing the foreknowledge

7. bornagainpenguin

bornagainpenguin DLP Archivist

Title: Paranoia
    Author: Rescind
    Rating: T
    Genre: AU
    Pairings: None.
    Links: SB
    Summary: Armsmaster gets called to Winslow High to deal with a parahuman whose fear aura has completly taken over the school. Can he and Ms Militia keep it together while investigating the cause of the dilapidated school's latest troubles? And can Dragon make it there in time if they can't?

Thoughts: With only two parts so far a bit early to judge but I really liked the way the author makes use of known canon elements to feed a certain psychological dread. Felt very cinematic, which has its pros and its cons but I liked the use of multiple versions of the same character. Really don't want to say too much and spoil it.

8. Reign

Reign Fourth Year

The omake chapter of Memetic Me brought back some good memories when I realized what it was referring to. The overall story is damned good. Lots of potential.

9. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

10. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

11. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
  12. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

RWBY Archive Features | Other Fandoms Almost Recommended Archive

Edit: Worm Features Guide

1) A "Tag" system simplified from the AO3 to avoid retarded over tagging. Current tags are:

a. OC/SI (story is OC/SI Centric)
    b. Quests (CYOAs included)
    c. AU (Large changes to the Wormverse required to qualify. Alternate power stories that follow canon plotlines too closely, feel like fix it fics, or have only minor differences from canon won't count. As a rule of thumb, if you dive into the middle of the story and won't feel lost, it's not an AU)
    d. Min (Minor Character Centric. Basically, any non-Taylor centric story. A note will be added specifying the character in question)
    e. AltPow (Taylor has an alternate power)
    f. Light (Humor/Crack/Parody/Non-serious stories/Stories where the tone is meant to be hopeful)

These tags are not the exactly the same as the ones posted in the RWBY Archive as fandoms develop different "cultures" so to speak.

Note: Feel free to question certain tags on the Archive. I'm certain I messed up somewhere so if you feel a story has an unnecessary tag, or lacks a tag, contact me.

Also, some stories do not have any tags. This might be because A) I felt they didn't fit into any of the categories or B) I'm not familiar enough with it to add tags.

2) A * before the story's title indicates it is in the DLP Library. This also means that if a viewer chooses to filter view the list by title, stories in the DLP library will appear first.

3) Oneshot/Short/Snippet Column for sorting purposes.

4) A Status Column which tells a reader whether the story is FIN (Finished), UPD (Updating) or DISC (Discontinued). Stories warrant a DISC status if story has not been updated for over a year as of the last archive update. Stories where the author declares it to be discontinued also receive a DISC status regardless of last update date.

5) A Crossover Column - in case a story features crossover elements.

6) Filter views to allow viewers to Sort by Author or Title, and to hide stories that are oneshots or abandoned.

7) DLP links to where the story is discussed. DLP links were taken from a combination of the WbA, the Review Board and the this thread, depending on which had the most active and useful discussion to help a reader decide whether to read a fic or not.

8) Recommended Column - Yes, Maybe, No. This is my compilation of the general reception on this thread for a certain story. Newer posts have a heavier "weight" than older ones (Working under the assumption that newer comments more accurately reflect the state of a story's updates). There's no specific formula for this or guidelines other than "It looked that way to Halt" - so take this with a grain of salt. Also, while I tried to remain neutral as possible, there were cases where my opinion probably affected a decision.

9) A notes system to compliment the Tags system. These are basically more detailed information and can range from informing a viewer about a sequel/prequel to the story, specific information on the powers or settings that would make the story stand out, or even specifying which minor character has a large role in the story. This system is not complete either.

I've also enabled comments on the Archive Excel. If anyone has any issues with it, or suggestions, you can leave a comment there.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  13. Halt

Compilation Done

I encourage people to read the post above for a full explanation of the features.

14. Plotless

Plotless High Inquisitor

I love you.

15. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

16. Onii

Onii Slug Club Member

I love you.

17. Halt

Not that I don't appreciate being appreciated guys, but thumbing up is enough to satisfy my ego. I'd rather visit this thread and see discussions and recommendations of stories than seeing "I love you's" over and over again. Let's not pollute yeah?

Anyway: Spirit of Nature updated recently. I posted it For Review.

Crossposting premise:

18. Halt

Arc 1 of Yet Another Worm Fanfic by Thinker6.

A hilarious oneshot parodying "the five scenes that never appear in canon but show up at the start of 50% of Worm fanfics. With extra tropes."

Scene 1: shoved into the locker
    Scene 2: trigger event
    Scene 3: important people foreshadow that the protagonist is important
    Scene 4: waking up in the hospital with dad
    Scene 5: diagnosed by Panacea

I found it in the Worm Fanfic Tropes Thread.

19. Nemrut

High Score:
    Posting it here because the story is still in its beginnings but if this keeps up, going to put it up for review.

Title: The Art of War
    Author: SixPerfections
    Rating: M
    Genre: AU and OC
    Pairings: None so far
    Links: fanfiction.net, sufficient velocity
    Summary: Lung has a teenage daughter who's been estranged from him for most of her life. When she triggers unexpectedly he sends for her to come live with him in Brockton Bay. Now she has to reconcile her socially conventional morals and upbringing with being the newest cape of the ABB. When in doubt she will turn to the ancient texts for wisdom, including her favorite: The Art of War

Sounds a bit cheesy, especially with the Art of War stuff, but honestly, it's been fun and interesting so far. Nothing amazing but I liked the insight into both, the ABB structure and Winslow. I also like that it's taking its time with introducing the canon characters, who, so far, have been Oni Lee and Lung.

So, yeah, like it. It has potential and hey, non Taylor centric story. That's novelty right there.

20. Dark Belra

Dark Belra Minister of Magic

From one of the dudes who did Outcry, comes Umbram Mortis. 4 chapters so far, all pretty much just set up at this point for the rest of the story.

Concept is pretty simple, Taylor dies in the locker and years later Emma is a thinker for the PRT when murders start happening to the former Winslow faculty. It's more or less a horror. Updates are coming at a pretty decent rate and the story is shaping up to be maybe something.

Not open for further replies.