1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

American revolution - historical books

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Jibril, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

I am looking for some good historical books about American Revolution.

I'm especially interested in works about involvement of European volunteers (especially Poles - besides Kosciuszko) in the war.

To answer one possible question. The Peasant Prince: Thaddeus Kosciuszko and the Age of Revolution is currently somewhere over Atlantic on it's way to my country.

I would be truly grateful for all contributions.

2. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The best way to find good books for this sort of thing, in my experience, is to check out one or two of the more famous authors' books on the subject and use their bibliographies as a guide. I've never studied the American Revolution personally, but I'm sure you'll be able to find some more than you already have.

3. coleam

coleam Death Eater

One of the better books I can remember off the top of my head is David McCullogh's 1776. Can't remember if it has anything about Poles though,

4. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

@coleam45 - Thanks. I will look for that book.

@Aekiel - I knew that and I was going to do that, but I was more interested in what you have personally read and can recommend as a good book on the subject. Anyway thanks for contribution.

5. Solfege

Solfege Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Gordon S. Wood's The Radicalism of the American Revolution is a book I'd definitely recommend. He doesn't cover the war itself nor the role of foreigners in the war, but what he does provide is a unique view into the cultural background of the American colonies at the time and the subtly changing ideologies of that time. He defends his thesis admirably, why and how the American Revolution was so radical a historical event, although he can be a little repetitive at times.

Unfortunately my U.S. History course did not cover the war in explicit detail so I cannot help you on this front, except to say that McCullough is a renowned historian and I would second coleam45's recommendation 1776 despite not having read it myself.

6. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

WATCH THE PATRIOT, IT'S VERY HISTORICALLY CORRECT AND FACTUAL

7. Garrus

Garrus Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Mel Gibson really knows how to tell it like it is.

I don't know where you would find about European volunteers in the American revolution, but 1776 by David McCullough is really good.

Edit: Oops, someone already recommended David McCullough. I would check him out, he is considered one of America's top historians, and he's a very good writer on top of that.