1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone else having problems with Fanfiction Downloader?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Portus, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Portus

Portus Heir

I've been using Fanfiction Downloader v 4.0.2 (and before that, version 3.8) to download fanfics for a long time now, and it's been pretty great. Until now, the only problems I've ever had occurred when downloading fics from FanFicAuthors.net, when the program would leave the latest chapter empty.

Now, though, is a different story. For the past week or so, I've been trying to get the updated chapters from FFN, FicWad, Portkey and even Fiction Alley, and the program craps its pants every time I try. I've even gone with the newer version 4.0.3 (you have to specify the path each time instead of everything going into individual folders underneath the same downloads folder) with the same results. Every time I try, the program tells me it can't find the path specified or can't create the folder, but I've checked and as far as I can tell, everything is in order. The folders aren't read-only, the path is the same as always, etc., and it still bombs out.

Anyone else having similar difficulties? This is the only downloader I know of that will pull from FFN, FicWad, Portkey, FFA and Fiction Alley. If there's another suggestion as far as downloader, I'd be happy to try it out. The one I currently use is the one from http://www.home-eisele.de/

Thanks for the help.

2. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Well, I'm not using that, so I'm gloriously unhelpful there, but I had problems with the DeFFnet-izer for a while in the past, and after I set-up my system new, I remembered that I'd seen a thread here (actually, just ten or so threads under this one :p), and I've been using it since; just the other day in fact. It works quite well (if you have Windows, that is).

The thing is however, that you need Microsoft's .net, but since I'd already needed to install that anyway (much as I disliked it), that was no problem.

Also: it apparently supports PatronusCharm :D

Edit #2: Err, I saw you already posted in that thread ... don't you want to use this, then, or where is the problem?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  3. Portus

Portus Heir

I would have replied to Sesc's post before now, but the left arrow key on my keyboard has been stuck off and on for two days, so unless I could type something backwards, it was very difficult to post.

Anyway, I'm more than happy with Graffer, for what it does, but it doesn't seem to support downloading from FicWad or Portkey, and although there are precious few stories both (a) worth reading, and (b) still in progress on either of those sites, there are a few that I keep up with, and I'd like a way to download the updates.

So, I guess either no one else uses FF Downloader, or I'm the only one having problems with it. I suppose I'll have to break down and send a question to the person who made the software...

4. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I just checked v 4.0.3 that I downloaded roughly 8 months ago.

Besides gay sound when it was done, I had no problems at all.

5. MellowYellow

MellowYellow Fourth Year DLP Supporter

I seem to be having no trouble.