1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone familiar with Lovecraft/Cthulhu?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Andro, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

I was wondering if anyone was familiar with the Cthulu Mythos by H.P. Lovecraft? I've begun working on a crossover on a whim, beginning with Harry raiding the Nameless City to recover the Necronomicon in his search for the power known not, believing that it contains dark powers.
    He summons the spirit of its writer, who tells Harry about how the book actually details the Old Gods, like it did in Lovecraft's stories, and about the locations in the mythos. Harry makes him create a map of the world as Abdul Alhazred, the writer, knew it, which would serve to make him aware of the Old Gods, which would make an excellent way to introduce the Cthulhu Mythos

I have some ideas, such as Harry meeting/fighting an assortment of both Light and Dark wizards living in the Dreamlands, maybe including Dumbledore, all of whom have succesfully survived in the Dreamlands long enough to reside there permanently after death.

Harry, while clashing with Voldemort and his growing forces, attempts to ally himself with the Elder Gods, who are benign towards humanity, for their aid.

I think the "power known not" that Harry is searching for could be something the Elder Gods have collectively imbued their power into that can control the god Cthulhu, who Harry can use to wipe out Voldemort. He is given this device in exchange for battling the rest of the pantheon opposing the Elder Gods.

Does anyone have any ideas to incorporate into this?

2. Nobody

Nobody Backtraced

No. No no no. No controlling something like Cthulhu. Something like that is considered completely beyond control, by nature.

3. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

That sounded really stupid, looking back at that post.

Perhaps the Elder Gods giving Harry a device to free Cthulhu, that he uses after he leads Voldemort and his Death Eaters to the sunken city where he resides, and letting it decimate them as he goes to a safe distance, then using some method to return Cthulhu to statis (possibly the Elder Gods intervening again?)

4. Oberon

Oberon First Year

No no no, the Elder Gods wants to keep Clathulu down. They're the ones that are rearranging the stars so that Clathulu would not walk again. Oh, and the Elder Gods gives exactly jack and shit about humans. To them, humans are no bodies, barely insects that they squash if you annoy them.

5. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn! Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

The Elder Gods are incredibly opposed to the idea of Cthulhu waking up. They've been known to take an interest in a person or two, but going so far as to give them a wake-up-the-Great-Priest button? I think not. Besides, if someone does manage to wake him up, the world is fucked. Both Harry and Voldemort lose.

Sure, it might be fun to have a crossover with the Cthulhu Mythos. Just keep Cthulhu itself out of it.

6. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

nowai make it so Voldemort wants to wake Cthu-Cthu up. 'cause he's a crazy fucker.

7. Glernaj

Glernaj Stab Executive DLP Supporter

The best part is Cthulu himself isn't even the worst of that mythos... He's just a priest. Unless I read it wrong, but I'm pretty sure it specifically called him a priest. Although, you want some fun Lovercraft stuff to cross with? Try The Colour Out of Space, or maybe Nyarlethotep.

8. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I had an idea for this age ago that never really panned out. It was gonna be Voldemort summoning the armies of Cthulhu for his own twisted means, but he screws it up (on account of not knowing everything) and starts the process of waking Cthulhu.

The Elder Gods intervene by ways of dreams, given to Harry to help him oppose Voldemort (and thus not die) and to seal Cthulhu back up before he can break free. Cause they're awesome like that.

Unfortunately I lost my muse before it got off the ground, but if anyone wants to use it they're welcome to it.

Aekiel