1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Assassin's Creed Three

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Sol, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Sol

Sol High Inquisitor

Evidently there was a leak somewhere about Assassin's Creed III, and Ubisoft finally tired of the rumors and released the box art. Creed III will be set during the American Revolution, and the new ancestor definitely has some Native American influences going on.

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012...rican-revolution-setting-confirmed/in/2600079

Looking forward to see how they modify gameplay for this one. Not a whole lot of metropolises in colonial America. Personally, I was hoping for Russia or the Far East, but I think this has definite potential. And really, who doesn't want to tomahawk some damn Redcoats? More details to be announced by Ubisoft on Monday.

2. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Let's go scalp some white folk. :awesome

3. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I was expecting France during the Reign of Terror, or maybe Victorian Britain. Definitely not colonial America.

4. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

It's unhealthy how much I can't wait for this. The American revolution setting should be awesome, I was worried that they would try and do it all with Desmond in modern times. I hope they manage to make the combat more difficult, in revelations it was far too easy.

5. Legacy

Legacy Death Eater DLP Supporter

I'll admit I'm curious how they intend to pull this off, can't wait though to see how Ubisoft plans to turn the history of the world on its head this time.

6. Grinning Lizard

Grinning Lizard Supreme Mugwump

Was looking forward to feudal Japan after the hints in the first game. Ah well. My inner ninja shall remain mostly dormant.

Edit:

Saying 'I'm looking forward to killing redcoats' is daft. Probably more to it than that, considering that Washington's already been mentioned. Speaking of which, here's hoping for a decent plot.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  7. azrael

azrael Professor

I'm actually hopeful for a secret "Assassin" side of the war (possibly siding with the natives?), separate from the Revolutionaries and the Redcoats, like in the first Assassin's Creed where you killed Crusaders and Saracens. That doesn't seem too likely though

8. Exile

Exile High Inquisitor

They haven't been bad with plots thus far. Sure- the first set the bar pretty high but they've managed to keep an extremely good story in all of the games. Maybe Brotherhood was a bit watered down.

I was also guessing Victorian England or France. Seemed to fit the image so much better, but in a way I'm almost glad they are doing the American Revolution. For one, being American it will be interesting to see such a historically international group of game designers take on the USA in its infancy.

Secondly, a lot of games today are happy with the wash, rinse, repeat pattern basically used by first person shooters and rpg games. They come out with new material but if you get past that it is inherently the same games over and over again. With this drasticly different setting it will be awful challenging to just recreate what has been so successful for the Creed in the past. There will certainly be city themed play but hopefully they exploit the fantastic wilderness of the rural colonies.

If they can successfully pull off the major shift in background then they will pump new blood and heart into this already fantastic series.

9. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I have to admit I haven't been a big fan of the series for a while now, I think Yahtzee nailed it on the head in his review of the last one but even I admit this sounds damned interesting.

10. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    The AC series is awesome, that's for sure. AC 3 will probably be awesome, too.
    I'm a bit wary of the setting going to the American revolution, and for there being three more games. I'm not sure how many more plot twists or subplots they can add before they become too many.
    Was hoping for some kind of end-game soon.

And, as always, I'll eat my words when the game (which I'll buy first day) does come out. Until then though, that's my stance on the matter.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  11. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

As a historian writing about the French Revolution/Napoleonic Wars I'm relieved that Ubi will not rape that period with their Advanced Precursor Race With Magic Powers (it's the most irritating part of the AC franchise). But still - I want my XIX century Assassin's Game! ;)

Personally, I want to see more than the Revolutionary War. Maybe the 1812 War and/or Barbary Wars (which is my personal favorite because of American propaganda that stated that they were the only civilized nation to fight against the pirates at the Mediterranean Sea - while Europe was busy dealing with Napoleon rampaging across the entire continent and owning pretty much everyone :awesome

12. Sol

Sol High Inquisitor

How is that daft considering the only info we have is an Assassin tomahawking a redcoat in front of an anachronistic American Flag?

13. Exile

Exile High Inquisitor

I think it would be cool to have the Assassin's fighting for the loyalty and leadership of the fledging nation that is America, racing against the Templars to do the best good for the founding fathers. Almost like a competition, even though we would know who wins in the end. But then there would be the one or two politicions that believe in the Assassin's and that is how they keep a small footing in the new country. There would be less outright killing of templars (still some) but you would be more of like two major consulting firms jocking for position with a new promising company.

14. Audeamus

Audeamus Sixth Year

Some screenshots of AC3 have made the rounds in internet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT: Last pic stretched the forum so I'm linking to it instead.

Looks great imo. Really digging the change of scenery after 3 installments of renaissance. And ambushing people during a dark night in the forest is going to be awesome.

15. Red Aviary

High Score:
    I'm getting a Red Dead Redemption vibe out of this with that deer hunting picture.

16. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

Hm.. also hoped for France or London... I liked the cities and the possibilities they gave you. Pretty sure that America doesn´t have that much to offer on that front.
    And I am the only one who would like some new clothes for our Assassin? Something less suspicious?

17. Red Aviary

High Score:
    For cities, I would imagine colonial Boston is present, considering the role it played in the Revolution. Possibly colonial New York, that was pretty big too.

Aha.

18. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

You know, from the looks of those screenshots he doesn't seem to have a hidden blade. Could the tomahawk have replaced it? And there's a bow and arrow as well to give us some new gameplay.

EDIT: There's some more leaked details here.

19. Legacy

Legacy Death Eater DLP Supporter

Reading that line made my hopes for this game drop just a little bit. Please don't have us buying a city again and quite frankly the less Desmond I have to deal with the better.

20. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Either that or Japan. I just think the free running, which is what made me love the game along with the story, is going to take a giant hit. And yeah having a guy running around in that cloak amongst a bunch of twats in powered wigs doesn't make a bit of damned sense. I really hate the setting, I hope they pull it off.

I'm glad AC3 isn't full on Desmond, they still need more time to develop his character before I believe the transformation/personality shift he started in Ac1. But then again I haven't finished Brotherhood, or even started on Revelations yet.