1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

au 7th book, something replace deathly hallows

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by joseph, Mar 15, 2013.

1. joseph

joseph Squib

Looking for novel length rewrites or just different version of how the 7th book could have been done .

what are the best, what are your favorites ?

I am reading the harry potter series to my gf, and I really disliked the 7th book .

Any help would be amazing .

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Er. I'd actually suggest going through the real 7th book the first time, even though it's crap. As for which ones rewrite it and do a good job, well, a lot of them also redo the 6th book. Check out the DLP C2 though for ideas.

But yeah -- which ones did you like reading? I'm drawing a blank right now on books that redid DH but left HBP alone. If I think of one later I'll post it.

3. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Horcrux hunts tend to be a bit boring. Some "alternative HP ending" stories of note:

Fayr Warning's Reign of Power. Alternative 7th year.

Shezza's Denarian Renegade/Knight/Lord series. Mostly an alternative 4th-6th years, a crossover with Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series.

Arsinoe de Blassenville's The Prefect's Portrait. (Alternative 6th year + series ending).

jbern's Bungle in the Jungle and sequel. Alternative summer before 6th year + 6th year/series ending. Also, though it's a rookie effort and lacks polish, his To Fight the Coming Darkness (alternative 6th year).

Cervus's Sistat Inter Bitu pe Marvos. Alternative 7th year.

Ella/Deadwoodpecker's Backward With Purpose: Always and Always and sequel. A completed retelling of the series that's very good.

If you don't mind a bit of time travel, A Mother In Law's Love might qualify (picks up after 6th year).

If near-canon, canon-pairing, occasionally fluffy stories are to your liking, you'll find a ton of them over on Phoenixsong.net. Start by checking out stories by Melindaleo, Myth & Legend, Antosha, etc. (Most on this site would find them tedious, but if you or she are still early in your fanfiction reading experience, they might be enjoyed.)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  4. Anme

Anme Professor

Harry Potter and the Death Hallows Do Over!

Your post made me think of this one. I liked it back then and it made it into the library here. Stays fairly close to canon so could probably be used as a replacement of the actual book.

If you want to get away from canon more, there is always the C2 or the recommendations above.

5. joseph

joseph Squib

hmm we haven't got the 6th book yet, so if it made the ending of story not suck I am all for it .

---------- Post automerged at 12:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 PM ----------

Oh man, that looks really good, going to start reading tonight , thanks for the suggestion !

6. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Resonance, Revolution, and Resolution were one of the very first fics I read when I had first gotten into fanfiction. Resolution was about 35 chapters in then, and now it's up to 80+ and 750,000 words, and still going. Not saying it's good, as it's been about 5 years since I read it, but there were a lot of good parts that I still recall today. It covers 6th and 7th year and later.