1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Avada Kedavra- Child's play to deal with

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hw597, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Rakkety Tam

Rakkety Tam High Inquisitor

I'm pretty sure that is what a Notice-Me-Not charm does. It allows you to blend in without actually having to blend in. It doesn't make you invisible to other people; it just makes them not notice you when you do something strange or abnormal. When combined with using magic to do your job for you, people just see an employee doing his work. This gives him plenty of time to keep an eye on the PM.

2. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

Pretty sure he's thinking of Aranea Exume (sp?), the spider-flinging hex from the second movie.

Also, he learned both of those spells after concentrated and repetitious study. The Patronus took him months to master. (I think Remus may have been off-kilter in using the Boggart/Dementor in training him, which would explain why Harry could teach it to the DA in a much shorter span of lessons.)

3. ViolentRed

ViolentRed Professor

I always thought a Notice-Me-Not-Charm makes an observer simply skip over your position. So it works all the time, not just when doing something out of the ordinary. All wizards in the Muggle world could wear it if that were the case and they clearly don't.

The thing is, though, I've tried to verify this with the Lexicon, Wikia, Google, ect. But there doesn't seem to be any mention of the spell in canon. It's actually a fanon spell. I had no idea.

4. Hw597

Hw597 Seventh Year

Did not notice that post but I will gladly answer you. Its simple really. Line of sight. Casting the killing Curse is the act of murder. You have to be fuel it with the desire to litterally take your hands around someones neck and squeeze the life out of them. Not just picture it but see them and want it in that moment.
    So for it to work you have to be looking at them. You could go to their house but if they are behind doors you can't see them.

And yes I think it should pass through a tree trunk and wards should have no effect on it. You can't stop death-you can only avoid it. The death curse should reflect that. Even if it did stick to the original idea of curse. your options should be dodge first rush then break casters concentration.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  5. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

This was intriguing enough to dig into. The earliest reference I could find is from 2003 (in a slash/mpreg story, no less), and the spell comes in regular use/reference in 2006/2007.

Edit: I thought I had found some earlier references, but Google mistook in-chapter date references as being actual dates.

6. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The name may be fanon, but the spell effect is canon. It's on the Leaky Cauldon, for one.

7. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

I would imagine that a lot of those objects are already enchanted to do things on their own, like beating eggs or stirring a bowl; and, that once they are activated, they operate just fine on autopilot.

It's not like Molly is simultaneously controlling every moving object in her kitchen...

Implying that an enchanted object performing its function is a measure of skill is like saying that the performance of an animated quill is proof of Rita Skeeter's excellent penmanship, or that using a broom to fly somehow means it's the wizard's abilities allowing him to defy gravity, not the broom's enchantments...

And Voldemort pretty much blew that out of the water in DH.

Oh, and baking in your kitchen is hardly comparable to fighting to the death in the middle of a war zone. There are a few performance-affecting factors inherent in the latter that are simply not present in the former.

In short: Please tell me you did not just compare Molly's kitchen to the Battle of Hogwarts, or even the scuffle at the Department of Mysteries.

Then explain his rap albums. :cool:

I was about to jump all over this, but I see ViolentRed and wordhammer have it thoroughly covered.

From the standard grab bag of anti-muggle spells.

8. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, that's actually a canon spell - repello muggletum, or something.

9. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

The Marauders.

/flees

Studying muggles would be useful, but not necessarily the class Muggle Studies.

Is it's uselessness fanon or not (I don't feel like researching) ?

Yeah, well, the Karate Kid learned an invaluable defense technique through waxing Mr. Miyagi's car, so fuck yo' couch :mad:

Ash
  10. ViolentRed

ViolentRed Professor

I think Percy called it a soft option and Hermione dropped it after Third Year.. no wait, did she? Or just Divination? I think she did. Either way, she never complained about it being a waste of her time (like with Divination) and might have even found it quite fascinating (from a Muggleborn's viewpoint anyway). I don't think Hermione would have kept quiet about a subject if it had been truly useless. So it must have been a fairly decent class.

11. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Either way, it got the teacher killed, by Voldemort himself, before a live death eater audience.

12. Evan Tide

Evan Tide Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Can't forget about the Muggle Studies professor before that getting possessed by Voldemort too.

Voldemort doesn't like that class either, does he?

Also, conjuration possibly isn't used because it's magic being changed into a physical item. If the Killing Curse can't be blocked by magic and actually goes through magical shields, it could be possible that it phases through conjured items as well.

That would require a preexisting non-conjured object to intercept. Even then, it'd possibly require something decently large becasue it shatters a solid, relatively large, gold statue into tiny bits.

13. ViolentRed

ViolentRed Professor

No it's not. Conjuration is creation with magic, not from magic.

14. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    And yet, 5 seconds earlier a Killing Curse bounced off a different statue without leaving a mark.

Makes you wonder why one statue broke when the other was unaffected. Size, perhaps? The best defence against all forms of magic appears to be the Earth itself and, to a lesser extent, walls. I guess when an object gets large enough it counts as part of the scenery and takes on whatever properties walls and the ground have which is so effective at absorbing or reflecting magic.

15. T3t

High Score:
    I attribute it to what I hereby dub the Rowling Syndrome.

16. Blazzano

Blazzano Unspeakable

Above all else, magic is about intent. Given that, the varying behavior of the statues starts to make sense.

Dumbledore, though gay, is still the sort of wizard who thinks witches should be in the kitchen, or alternately entertaining him in some crude fashion. So the statue of the witch tackled Bellatrix and presumably would have had a nice little wrestling match with her, if time had permitted.

The statue of the centaur? More like cen-tard; Dumbledore knows that in a wizard duel, centaurs are little more than cannon fodder on hoofs. So the centaur statue behaved like cannon fodder, and shattered when hit by a Killing Curse.

And then there was the statue of the wizard. Dumbledore believes that wizards should comport themselves in a boss-like fashion at all times, and his intent carried through. The statue kept Harry out of the fight like a boss, and blocked Killing Curses like a boss. I wouldn't be surprised if it did some victory pec flexes under its golden robes, because that's just how Dumbledore rolls.

17. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Meh, semi-necro.

Was reading something just now when I suddenly realized that unlike objects used to intercept it, I had never seen clothes explode when hit with the Killing Curse.

I know we've had clothes brought up repeatedly, but I can't help but ask, whats the difference between the clothes a person is wearing and a statue used to intercept the spell? Could it be that when anything attached to or touching a person is struck, the holder receives the effect?

My question came about while reading a fic in which a plethora of weapons were stored in a vault, amongst them some shields. I'm a fan of sword-wielding-Harry, and I've contemplated the possibility of Harry having a shield of some sort, this got me thinking about it being massively OP by being able to block the Killing Curse, which in turn got me thinking about objects that can block it and why only some of the things it hits explode.

The selectivity of it all just doesn't make sense.

18. T3t

High Score:
    Fuck up on Rowling's part, probably, like most other inconsistencies in the HP universe.

19. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

But like other fuck ups, you can create your own solutions to stay true to canon while making some sort of sense.

I personally like the argument that the statues intercepting spells blocked them because they were made up gold, which has special magical significance/properties.

I've also seen the argument that if you imagine the spell as a sphere of energy, the spell 'detonates' when the center of the sphere contacts an object. When the center of the sphere hits the statue, the edges of the sphere are contained within/around the statue, making the spell not affect the caster. When the sphere hits clothing however, the center reaches the clothing and the edges are enveloping/touching the target, causing the spells detonation to affect the target as well.

I don't like that one nearly as much though.

20. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

No, not a fuck up, just a quirk of magic. And don't start on the connection thing, if you're looking for a physical link, you've already run out of magic. I'd say it's this:

A Killing Curse kills a person.

Typically, a person includes clothes.

Thus, it doesn't matter if the clothes or skin is hit -- the target being hit is always the person.

And now you can come and bring me all sorts of special cases (But what if Moody's peg leg is hit? And what if Harry catches a Killing Curse with the upper right screw on his glasses?) and tell me that the rule above isn't 100% clear, and then I'll say yes, it's not 100% clear and that's why it's magic and not a physical Theory on Conductivity.

Edit: ... made of gold? What is this I don't even

Edit 2: Orly. Seems I managed to forget that. What a pity that now I remember.