1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Avengers: Endgame (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by ScottPress, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Am I the only person who thinks that the actresses portrayal of Captain Marvel is fucking amazing?

I admit it fell slightly flat in Endgame. In part because she didn't get much of a part.

But in the Captain Marvel movie I really loved the portrayal. I don't understand what people really mean by wooden, unless they're referring to what I took as deliberate (and non-standard) characterization.

2. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I too enjoy Captain Marvel's characterisation and Brie Larson's portrayal of the character. She's a bit vanilla in Endgame but that's because they filmed it before the Captain Marvel script was written, so she literally had nothing to go on. In Captain Marvel itself I wouldn't call her character "wooden" at all. It's true that Larson shines most in her character scenes (such as those she shares with Monica Rambeau and the kid) rather than in action/SFX sequences, but that's no bad thing.

3. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

I, for one, felt she only had around 3 to 4 expressions in CM which she rotated around in the name of “acting”. It wasn’t really something you’d expect from an actor of her caliber. Her portrayal just seemed to lack depth. This was massively reinforced in Endgame, though I agree it wasn’t Brie Larson’s acting which caused it here.

4. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    For me it’s less of a matter of her acting and more that the character just doesn’t work right now.

I’d have introduced her after endgame, but her whole story arc in Captain Marvel would’ve played out over several movies. Rather than instantly on thanos’s level she would’ve had to grow her power over time. Much like Tony/Thor

So she’d reach her endgame power level in a movie fighting galactus or whoever the next villain is.

5. KGB

KGB Headmaster

Brie Larsenon makes Daniel Radcliffe look like Ian McKellen

6. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

Something people keep missing about Captain Marvel is that she's not actually a really likeable person. I'm not talking about Larson - I'm talking about the character. Look up her wiki page - she's been through some convoluted shit, and a remarkable amount of that shit has taken her away from earth and humans.

People keep comparing her to Superman or Thor, but a closer analogy is actually Dr. Manhattan; seriously overpowered, but largely divorced from humanity. Not to mention that this version of her came up as an Air Force pilot - a lot not exactly known for being humble in the first place - as a woman at a time when it was a boys' club, after being a super-ambitious female with more than a few males in her life telling her to stop being that way.

If it seems like she's got a chip on her shoulder, well, anyone would. Spending your whole life having to outperform everyone else just to get a modicum of the same recognition or respect that you deserve isn't exactly going to encourage a jocular, jovial side. And yet, she's not cold. I'd say, at worst, she's reserved. And in a world inhabited by Thor and Tony Stark, there's going to be some contrast.

Larson is not a bad actress, not by a long shot - which means she is giving the directors and producers the performance they want.

Just my two cents.

As for Shuri, I remember this discussion from the Infinity War thread, but that scene could have been saved with two lines: keep her condescending question as it was, hell, even keep the tone, but have Bruce's response be, "We wanted to, but the technology doesn't exist." Then she can just answer, "Well, it does here." Bruce (and by extension, Tony) don't have to appear dumber - just, as Howard Stark once was, 'limited by the technology of their time.'

Likewise, the A-Force shot could have been more organic if they had a dozen 2-3 second shots of the women approaching that spot, rather than just magically appearing - and yeah, I know, they have magic now, but even that requires portals outside of the Sanctum.

Just teeny, tiny, minor things that make moments like that so much more digestible - and, let's face it, unassailable. Because when moments like that are earned - moments like the Rotating Money Shot from Avengers 1, the Shield/Repulsor Shot from Civil War, or Lightning Landing Shot from Ragnarok - they not only resonate with the audience, they become serious fucking highlights rather points of contention.

7. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

While very likely true in Larson's case, it should be noted that that's not necessarily the case. Even the best actors can have a bad run while shooting, or the director might not really know what to do with the character and so give sub-par direction, or the writing might be off, etc.

A very good case study of that is the Star Wars prequels; pretty much every actor in there was fantastic, especially Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman, but the acting quality almost across the board was subpar. A bad script, bad director, or even just a shitty day for the actor can pull some real stinkers out of even the best performers.

In Captain Marvel's case, honestly, my feeling is that it's a combination of the comic elements you mention and her being an entirely new character (and archetype, to a certain extent) to slot into the framework, and the folks involved simply weren't all that certain how to go about doing it properly.

8. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Just got back and I liked it even more the second time.

Even Thor was less annoying and worked much better for me. Cut two funny scenes and add two subdued scenes, like he was at the beginning of the film, and he would be perfect if not for the ending. Leaving Asgard doesn't work with the rest of his films. My opinion may change depending on what they do later with him.

Only thing that hasn't improved for me is Sam getting the shield. It felt even more unearned and if that was the plan from the beginning, they really should have build up his character more in the previous films.

I do have a one question.

How did they decide the order of the O6's actors giving their signatures? Mark Ruffalo placement before Chris Hemsworth with his three solo films and Scarlett Johansson who was before him in the MCU and is a bigger star is quite odd.

9. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    At a guess, I would say that it has to do with star power and overall importance & recognition of the characters. I had no problem with the placement, though I couldn’t tell you why. There might also be contractual obligations to consider (e.g. actor/actress “x” gets placed here over actor/actress “y.”)

10. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I agree it's that, but I can't tell how Mark can beat Scarlett in a pure star power (as in a popularity with fans) or Chris in overall importance to the MCU. The only thing that I suspect is giving him an edge on them is the amount of awards and nominations he has compared to them.

11. Ched

Carol Danvers (in her movie) struck me as a woman who thrived in a male-dominated field and did it without ever trying to play a sexy/flirty card or by really letting others see her that way?

There's plenty of other badass women in the MCU but all of them (that I can think of) capitalize on the "sexy" and/or "flirty" and/or feminine tropes in ways that Danvers doesn't (even if it's not intentional on the part of the character - Garona gives off typical bad-girl vibes, Black Widow is the spy who can play any role, and even Peggy hits some standard badass-lady-in-charge tropes). I can't help but wonder if part of what everyone dislikes about Danvers/Marvel so much is that she's not conforming to an easily identifiable trope in terms of her personality and character? But she resonated with me in a way none of those others did.

Maybe that's not the reason though. I will admit that her portrayal was strange in some ways and I'm willing to accept that people found it off-putting enough to not like her as a lead. None of the bits I liked came through in Avengers 4 regardless. I'd have loved to see some of the banter she had with Fury going on with the other Avengers, like when she rescued Stark or helped them get Thanos early on. Taure explained it though, given the filming order and whatnot I think she just didn't get written in to take advantage of her potential.

As for Shuri trouncing Banner... I get why that irks people. I don't think she needs more time to grow into herself exactly - vibranium is her area - and I think that her smartass remark to Banner could be 'teenager' more than anything. But it would have been really simple to tweak that scene so she didn't come off as like she did. Even changing Banner's response from "we didn't think about it" to "you can do that?" would have helped a ton. Bonus points if they had her tell Banner something he didn't know was possible, only to show him immediately have a light bulb moment along with her and prove he's on the level. In other words I think Shuri being a smartass teenager who really is THE expert in her niche field (Vibranium) works - it's the response to her that didn't.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  12. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

13. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

That's sort of the issue isn't it? That she doesn't need to grow.

14. Ched

No? I'm fine with her starting point being plucky kid sister slash vibranium expert.

She can grow from that. She can grow up. Get better. Mature. Learn other areas of science that she doesn't know. Have a character Arc. But she hasn't got to do a ton of that - she's not a lead, she's playing second fiddle to her brother in his movies. Her character arcs haven't got to be as extreme (though they do need to be there - BP2 will show us if they are).

My problem is with the scene not with her. Just have Banner show he's equally brilliant, showcase his experience and genius, and all good. But the writers made Banner appear dumb.

Also someone compared her to Peter. I'd say that he's probably smarter in raw intellect, sure. But that's not how it's so far been portrayed and I'm okay with that still. Their childhoods are incredibly different. A genius daughter of the King of the world's most advanced nation is going to have one hell of a lot more opportunity for growth early on than the kid going to school in Queens and keeping his head down. But Parker is already better in a lot of ways - instincts, cleverness, maybe incisive thing - just he's not got her research cred or training. It shows.

15. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Endgame has made 1.7 billion in a single week. Holy tits.

16. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

Every major chapter has grown significantly since they were introduced. It’s kinda the point of the movies...

17. Hymnsicality

Hymnsicality Seventh Year

Brie Larson was fucking amazing in Room. It really, really makes it look like she's just phoning in her performance with her three facial expressions of smugly stoic, determined stoic and default stoic in endgame.

It also doesn't help that she's so dismissive and condescending as an individual outside of movies. Like her crusade against critics being all 40 year old white "dudes" and how a wrinkle in time was not written for them so clearly their opinions shouldnt matter. Just annoying.

I dislike shuri, but then again I pretty much dislike the entire cast of black panther for various reasons except Michael B Jordan's character. Dude was charismatic as fuck. The movie would have been nothing without him.

18. Agent

Agent High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I agree that Peter is smarter in raw intellect as are probably Banner and Tony if nothing else then by experience alone.

It's a question of resources. Shuri has had access to Vibranium which opens up whole avenues of research and development. Of course, then you can make the argument that Tony has has had the same advantage by being born to someone like Howard but the point of Banner and Parker still stand. Parker was able to build his own web fluid using high school resources. Based on her (Admittedly limited) appearances, Shuri hasn't shown the same level of creativity.

I will say though that Banner saying "We didn't think of that." is valid for two reasons.

1. They didn't have much time to do anything. It was a very "In the moment" and time sensitive situation.
    2. Ultron had already pretty much built most of Vision.
    3. Vibranium, the thing Vision is made out of, is Shuri's area of expertise. Banner's is bio-chem.

19. Ched

It sounds like you're agreeing with me but you replied so I'm not sure if you are disagreeing instead, lol.

Clearly the solution is to go watch the movie again.

20. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm not big on the film's explanation of time travel effects. The Harry Potter version is better: You can't change the past because you already did it.

Cap going back and finding Agent Carter and then living out his life knowing he one day had to go for a picnic and finally say hi to his friends again is much nicer than "he went to an alternate reality and then came back to deliver a shield."