1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Awaken Sleeper by Water Mage - T - Dresden Files

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Memory King, Apr 15, 2008.

1. artenry

artenry Guest

My primary concern is how the system of magic of Harry's universe meshes with the system of magic of Dresden's universe...

I'll accept the fairy hair wand with minimal dubiousness, but I personally found it iffy that Harry Potter's magic actually worked in the Dresden universe the way it does in Potter universe...

It seemed to be too flawless of a transition. Maybe if there were some backlash, or some side effect, or some difficulty that can't be surmounted as easily as obtaining a fairy hair wand....

2. Water Mage

Water Mage Denarii Host

I'm pretty surprised with how slow I'm getting into the crossover myself. Usually I just jump right into it, but I restrained myself with this fic. Its my first Dresden crossver and I want to do it right, and not ruin all the potential the story has. The chapter I'm working on now is officially the beginning of the crossover, and the first Dresden Files character is introduced, and I've rewritten it twice so far.

That's where the inspiration for the story comes from. I gave it a nod in the prologue's author notes. I never did finish it though. It started to deal more with politics and Buffy became the baddest bitch on two legs, and every SG1 character got on their knees for her, so I gave it the deuce and never went back.

I thought about this too before retrindocuing his magic. It was drained for a few months before he performed any magic, but then I thought if there should be balances or counter balances that comes from him being in a different universe. There was a discussion about it a while back in the WBA section that was a few pages long. But I came to the conclusion that there shouldn't be anything that affects Harry's magic. Different universe or not, Harry's magic comes from some internal part of him. All he needs is a "magical instrument to channel it". The two magics arent "meshing". His magic is his own. Dresden characters use magic by having a strong will, talent, and ability to direct forces of life around them. Harry just waves a wand. They are at their core two different forms of wizards, and that fact will be touched on in the story.

The difficulty you speak of may factor if Harry attempts actual Dresdenverse magic...

3. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

This is exactly my take on it, and what I am doing in my story too.

They are essentially two different types of wizards. The "meshing" challenge should come when Harry needs to use a DF magic and has difficulty with it, or just in the interaction between Harry casting his type of magic and some DF wizard casting theirs - in the latter I took the "Man who knew too little" track and use it for comical affect. My guess is Watermage will be using a different tact.

Take for example the sheer years and depth of training DF wizards need in concentration and training the mind, the only faint parallel we have of that in Potter verse is Occlumency, and even the limits of that magic are stretched by fanon. Following -Mage's last comment if Potter is to try anything remotely requiring the disciplining of mind and will that DF wizards need he should crash and burn and be as good as about a wet behind the ears Brownrobe.

@ Watermage~

I am holding off on a proper review because I really haven't seen the full reveal of your premise yet. What I have seen of it so far shows competent but dry writing.

I personally love reunion fics, so seeing him with Lily and James is usually a plus for me, but their characters are so far pretty mundane. I hope that you are suckering us into discounting them on purpose. I have two idea where that could go easily.

Aiden, though wildly popular so far, hasn't really made an impact on me, it comes from an over use of the 'creepy kid' theme on horror flicks in the last six years or so. I just keep waiting for him to break out in an appropriately hair raising nursery rhyme. My preference of him would be to break away from something that could become a part of the montage of creepy kids. Also I don't think Aiden being a Seer should make him completely weirdo, keep in mind Ivy's character.

The wand thing, I repeat...was a good idea, hardly the sticking point, dubious or whatever, though I would've loved seeing the little fae doing something to Harry for fun. The wand's quality should be a little less than his phoenix wand, yet even in Potter verse a sufficiently powerful wizard is able to use any instrument, a wand is just preferable.

Two things I would like to predict:

After having built up James' wealth so much, he better be part of the The Venatori Umbrorum. Otherwise businessmen fail in magic sexy ratings.

Knowing in Dresden verse magic follows the mother's line, Lily better be a closet wizardess, she did give birth to Aiden, after all. And also a magic-less Lily also fails in magic sexy ratings. Vash, Shez, and I are very particular about Lily, don't disappoint us.

...wait did I start this out with me not wanting to give a proper review?

4. Water Mage

Water Mage Denarii Host

Thanks Nuh for the input. I completely agree with some of your points. Its way better than the ff.net reviews of "zomg! pleaz update lik now!"

5. Kang

Kang Denarii Host DLP Supporter

zomg! pleaz update lik now! I lik luv ure fic!

*SLAP*

Sorry... I was channeling my other soul's fangirlness.

A query; what will the Knights of The Cross,(Is that right) do about the fact that Harry has destroyed his soul(s)? Or the White Council?

Methinks an Showdown is on the horizon.

6. neren

neren Slug Club Member

Excellent chapter where we finally see Harry use some magic. My only gripe with this is why didn't Harry take out Peter? Peter rushed at Harry and Harry rolled away. Why didn't he just stay there and cast a shield or blast Peter away? Why didn't he shield himself from the lightning? I understand that this scene was used for character interaction but couldn't he have won the fight without help? For someone who had seemingly lost his magic, surely he would have been spell happy and proceed to sling spells left and right.

7. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

Wow, Elaine? I figure Harry would be involved in SK, but didn't see this angle coming.

8. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Agreed with the above. For the Ministry's best Auror, Harry's dueling is decidedly sub-par.

9. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

10. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Apart from the dodging lightning and not shielding against the wind curse it was pretty cool. He just helped take down a Warden :p. He's in so much shit I don't believe it.

Aekiel

11. Water Mage

Water Mage Denarii Host

Thanks for the comments about the fight scene at the end. I changed the last fight scene around a bit. Not drastically but just added in a few things in the fight between Peter and Harry, so it flows better I think.

12. neren

neren Slug Club Member

Er, Ryuugi Shi made a good point. Your url links to the work by author and not to the Dresden Library. Nice addition to the fight scene. Harry's dueling is much better now. I also liked how you used German instead of Latin for spells. I've never read the Dresden files so I don't know how magic works in that universe. Overall, 5/5 since Harry got to use his magic, good introduction to new characters, and apparently sets up a meeting with the White Council.

13. Water Mage

Water Mage Denarii Host

I was too tired when I posted that. Fixed now.

14. Ph34r_n0_3V1L

Ph34r_n0_3V1L First Year

Why is Harry verbalizing his magic? I would have thought an Auror would have mastered non-verbal magic, as it's 6th year curriculum. Other than that little query, just wanted to say that this is a great story, and keep up the good work.

15. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

(Points, upset that he has to do this again.)

16. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

Great chapter. I really look forward on how you are going ot weave together the story. Agreed with Harry's dueling scene from the above posts. As a former Auror you would think that he would be prepared for whatever was thrown at him and that he would take even more caution against unknown magic. Silent casting would be cool ;)

So, if Elaine is about 22 then this is taking place about 6 years after Harry killed Justin?

17. Aekiel

High Score:
    Silent casting would be a big thing in the Dresdenverse, given the necessity of an incantation... Can't remember if you can voice it in your mind though. The first time someone notices his lack of incantation there's going to be a big fuss over it.

Aekiel

18. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    But Harry doesn't know that, so there'd be no reason for him to hide that particular skill. In addition, when in a duel for your life, the last thing that you're thinking is "People might be shocked if I use X magic". You'll do whatever is needed tosave your own life.

19. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

I liked this chapter. Nice to see the crossover starting up and the real story actually beginning. The revised fight scene is a lot better than the original. When you said we would be seeing a Warden showing up soon this isn't quite how I had imagined it, lol.

As for the silent casting bit, yea it would make sense for Harry to be casting some stuff silently. In Dresden Files though it isn't always necessary to say the words just like in HP. I don't remember where it says this but, sometime Dresden says that the words are just guides for a person's will. In all of the more recent books he doesn't shout out the shield spell like he did in the first few books.

20. Aekiel

High Score:
    Hmm, I might just be being forgetful today, but the only time I remember him implicitly casting non-verbal magic was when he couldn't actually speak and just let loose, and that fucked him over pretty badly for a while.

Aekiel