1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

B Movies; To B or not to B?

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Jon, Nov 2, 2020.

1. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

So, I blame @Selethe for this thread and @Mishie for being Mishie.

Last night we somehow got from watching Into the Spiderverse (A++ movie) to watching The Boy Who Cried Werewolf.

It was a terrible movie in an amazing way. You know, the 'so bad it's good' 'so good its great' type of movie. I highly recommend you watch it, though don't do it alone. You definitely need someone to throw popcorn at the screen with.

Other honourable mentions are every Vin Diesel movie that he funds out of his own pocket, e.g Riddick and The Last Witch Hunter.

What other movies have you guys watched that would fall into the same category?

2. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I personally dont believe in the concept of "so bad its good."

That being said, I full expected Return of the Living Dead 3 to be horrible... but it's actually my favorite zombie movie of all time.

The idea that a person slowly turning into a zombie would use extreme masochism to replace hunger with pain just to prevent themselves from eating a loved one is quite endearing.

3. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    What was that 40 minute movie that had a Kung-Fu cop fighting Hitler alongside a Tricericop dinosaur partner?

Also there were laser raptors.

Either way, that's the best film I've ever seen.

Edit: You're fucking welcome.

4. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I watched "Cockneys vs Zombies" when ill last year, and the entire thing felt like a fever dream. It was good fun, but not sure I'll ever be bothered to watch it again.

Planet Terror was pretty great, although I hated the missing reel - just a cop-out to skip the story along. But I lent the DVD to someone at my old job, who was fired without warning, so I never got it back, and didn't enjoy it enough to want to re-buy.

5. haphnepls

haphnepls Seventh Year

Not really sure if this belongs here, but here you go.

In the trailer, it is helpfully said: "Nothing in your education or experience can have you prepared you for this film..." If you're either into symbolism or LSD trips, give it a go.

6. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Tremors, hands down.

It's an absurd movie about Kevin Bacon vs giant sandworms, but it's a cinematic masterpiece. Not one line of dialogue is wasted, every moment is tightly plotted, and every character is memorable.

7. Meerkats

Meerkats Unspeakable

I don't watch a lot of these but I think Zombeavers(?) is the one I had the most fun with.

8. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    First sharknado movie

9. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I always recommend Dog Soldiers as a classic B comedy/horror. Some British squaddies fighting werewolves in the Scottish Highlands. What's not to love?

Also, not sure if Event Horizon counts as a B movie, but that's another cult classic horror film I really like. Both have the advantage of having Sean Pertwee in them, and he's one of my favourite C list actors.

10. Sword_of_Dusk

Sword_of_Dusk Squib

Gotta be most of the Sharknado films. They all suck, but something about them makes you want to keep on watching.

11. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

The Core baby! Gotta drive an unobtanium train-tank-drill to the planet's core so we can set off nukes to re-fire the core that stopped revolving. As far as Vin Diesel movies, I thought Pitch Black was a legitimately good movie.

12. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

You can't call the Core a 'B' movie no matter how badly written - it had a huge budget. The Sharknado films qualify for being only 2-3 million apiece. I can't say if Pitch Black qualifies at 23 mil, but it definitely earned its cult/sleeper-hit status.

13. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

What defines a B-movie? The quality, budget or the audience reaction to it?

14. yargle

yargle Professor

I'd say it is a non-specific combination of quality and budget. Audience reaction is what separates the cult classics from the regular B-movies.

Anyways, my movie collection includes (asterisks denote movies I still actually need to get around to watching):
    • Plan 9 from Outer Space
    • The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension
    • Jesse James Meets Frankenstein's Daughter (please note that this title is a lie, it's actually Frankenstein's granddaughter)
    • Billy the Kid vs Dracula (the other part of Jesse James Meets Frankenstein's Daughter double feature)*
    • Abraxas: Guardian of the Galaxy
    • The Brother from Another Planet*
    • Bloodtide
    • She Gods of Shark Reef
    • Highlander (rip Sean Connery)
    • Santa Clause Conquers the Martians*
    • Lifeforce
    And several more, many of which I have to actually get around to watching.

Honorable mention goes to the actually not a B-movie but has the ultimate B-movie title: Pillow of Death, a 1945 horror movie starring Lon Chaney, Jr.

I really need to update my movie spreadsheet.