1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dead Link Back To The Place Where It All Began by ZeroTheDestroyer - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Azrael's Little Helper, Oct 2, 2008.

1. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

I don't know why its in the bin as I quite like it.

I DEFINITELY think you should cut characters.

Part of the problem is that we have a shorthand for some of the characters. McGonagall we know as a stern, fair, but tough lady. If you mention Dumbledore's "blue eyes twinkling", we all know what you're talking about. But this has SO many OCs. And they simply aren't given enough time to breathe.

I think what most people don't like is Harry sitting around and stumbling into things (Canon!Harry in a lot of ways). I like the dueling stuff that was interesting, and the "love stuff" is fine.

IMHO, its all fine as long as there is a sense of movement, progression, and change to the character. If he's going somewhere and is setting goals.

Ultimately he serves as a vehicle for reader identification. Most of us aren't so goal oriented. Afterall, we aren't at the center of a national war. In fact, most of us go to work/school, see movies, read fanfiction, etc. In addition, wandless!Harry was fun for a bit, although at some point he should either get a new wand (even with trace) or have some kind of a breakthrough. At some point it becomes a bit of a stretch.

Ultimately, Harry's life should have a lot more shit in it than ours. Give him some big tough obstacles, then let him over come them in an interesting way. He should be trying/shaping his own destiny, as truthfully, so much of OUR lives seem to be shaped by outside forces.

Make him an outlet. Make this a story YOU would want to read.

But I like it, so....

UPDATE SOON!!!

:)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  2. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

I am working on cutting a lot of people out, frankly after reading my story I was scared at what I had created, There are so many suspense and holes in it and made me pretty angry at a lot of points becuase I leave so many things hanging.

I'll try to update, but the next update will probably be a remake of the entire fic, but with an additional 6 chapter at the end to conclude the story, I am more or less at the end of the story at least for this arc.

At this point my feelings on this fic don't really matter too much, I honestly just want to write a good fic, post it, and then work on the next book.

3. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hmm, i've avoided it as of the reviews, but I do like the idea.

If you did post a rewrite, i'd definitely read it.