1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Battlefield 3

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by fash, May 12, 2011.

1. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Just wondering, is anyone still playing this?

New Addons (allright, "DLCs") are out, today Armored Kill has been released - downloading now.

2. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Been waiting for AK for a while. Also downloading now. Can't wait to get in game :3

3. Grinning Lizard

Grinning Lizard Supreme Mugwump

Saw you playing yest World. Now I have a decent connection again I'm slowly getting back into it. Not sure about buying any of the expansions though - are they particularly worth it?

4. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Well, depends on what you like. Since they've all got a specific theme, it's easy to pick out what you want.
    Back to Karkand: BF2 Maps
    Close Quaters: pure Infantry Combat
    Armored Kill: Tanks, tanks, tanks

If you get Premium (as I did), you'll get all those plus the two following DLCs, or you can just get the one you like. If you like Battlefield, here's your opportunity to get more of it ;)

5. The Arid Legion

The Arid Legion Professor

I used to play almost every night back when I had good internet, these days though 100kb/s is insanely fast for me, so buying Premium would be a waste of money. Planning on getting back into it once I move to an area that'll support an ADSL line.

I truly cannot wait for that day.

6. coleam

coleam Death Eater

I still play, though I haven't tried AK yet (something got fucked up in my game between last night and this evening and I can't join servers anymore). Unfortunately, it looks like most of you are in Europe, which isn't really conducive to being able to play together.

GL: I'll pretty much echo World on the expansions. If you liked BF2, the Back to Karkand is definitely worth it. You get Karkand, Wake, Sharqi, and Oman, which are all excellent maps. Close Quarters is fun, but polarizing. It's really only good on small servers (the maps are designed for 16 players, and work decently well up to 24), and there aren't any vehicles. There's one new game mode (Gun Master) that's somewhat reminiscent of CounterStrike's Gun Game, so if you were into that, then you might have fun. I personally like CQ, but it can be difficult to find a good server for it since they're often empty or are set up for 64 player, high ticket matches. If you thought 64p Metro was bad...

Weapon-wise, the new expansions are hit-and-miss. B2K didn't have anything amazing in the way of weapons, but most of them (except the Jackhammer) are at least decent. Almost all of the CQ weapons are great though. The engineer kit gets some higher rof guns, which it needed, the assault kit gets a great long-range gun (SCAR-L) and an all-purpose gun (AUG) that's pretty good, recon gets an amazing short/medium range sniper (M417), and the SPAS is a good alternative to the 870 for pump shotgunning.

AK gives some enormous new maps and a few new vehicles, but I haven't tried it yet, so I can't give you any opinions on it.

Edit: something ate my formatting...

Edit 2: Noscript ate my formatting?

7. bob99

bob99 High Inquisitor

I actually just started playing the base game. I picked it up when it was on sale for $10. My handle is midfield999 .

8. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Well AK is a complete bust on the 360. Unlike PC where Bandar can have 10+ vehicles in the air at one time, 360 can have 6...

The large scale maps simply don't translate from PC to consoles.

Amount of players has always been the one thing PC constantly has going in its favor, it's rare to find a console game that can boast the same amount of players in a server that a PC can. A damn shame.

9. chriar

chriar Third Year

I'm in the same boat as bob and picked it up for 10$. My handler's Chriar.

10. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Woah wait, $10? From where?

11. bob99

bob99 High Inquisitor

Origin. Every Battlefield game was on sale for $10 (excluding BF3 expansions) to celebrate the tenth anniversary of Battlefield.

12. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

For Australia, I believe the price was $20 or $25. Forgot which.

13. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I really hate the Operation Firestorm map. That seems to be where the highest amount of bullshit happens to me, be it Origin randomly getting disconnected or a disproportionately high amount of deaths on my end. I mean, I suck anyway, but I seem to suck more there, which is really saying something.

Also, I hate how when you earn upgrades for a class on one side -- the US for example -- they don't transfer over to the other. I unlocked like three guns and a few mods for each with my US Engineer, but when the game forced me to play Russia I was back to sucking with a completely vanilla AKS-74U again. Considering I don't have any choice in the matter as to what side I play as (typically if I try to switch to my preferred team the game switches me back, in order to keep the teams balanced), I think punishing me for it is pretty dumb.

I have to say that the game looks very pretty, though someone in charge seems to have a hard-on for sunglare.

14. coleam

coleam Death Eater

This shouldn't be happening. The only guns that you can't use immediately on the other side are the starter guns, which are the last ones in the unlock progression. For example, Russia can't use the M4A1 until you've unlocked everything else, but as soon as you unlock the SCAR-H (the first unlockable gun for Engi) both sides have access to it. The previous unlocks are anti-aircraft missiles and AT mines.

This is generally a server-dependent feature that's included in many of the autobalancer plugins that server admins use, not a feature of the game itself.

15. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hm. I'll check again when I play next. Maybe it was a one-time bug or something.

16. bob99

bob99 High Inquisitor

17. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not availible in Aus :(

18. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Slightly altered version of my review on Battlelog (xbox):

Armored Kill is a complete disappointment.

My headset can't pick up a Tank Destroyer five feet away that's shooting at my side, due to update changes to audio. No sounds for disable, rarely sounds for incoming javelins, and that's not even mentioning the sliding. As I'm going up a mountain, for the life of me it's impossible to stop so I can aim and fire. I'm either slowly sliding forward, back, or side to side. It's ridiculous.

I've been switching between my Classic server and multiple AK servers from the same region. I have nearly a second latency on Armored Kill, while having none at all on my Classic server. This makes it near impossible to time shots and it's absolutely impossible to dodge tank fire. You don't know you're getting hit until you're already disabled! Client-side hit detection is bad enough, already...

The AC-130 is so incredibly weak, with a ridiculous AA weapons system that hits its own wings more than the enemy. It takes me one full salvo from the Anti-Air to decimate it. The guy on the inside doesn't even have the time to find me, given that the sounds are so out of sync, before he's disabled. Maybe gets one shot before he's blown away.

Heavy Explosive has absolutely no explanation. Hell, the noun is in its own definition. Maybe they should point out that it can hit a larger area, so works better against ground infantry, but I'm still not even sure if that's the case.

On the note of texture loading errors, this is a regular occurrence while moving along any of the Armored Kill maps; especially with the inclusion of more than two edestroyers and an air vehicle. Everything becomes incredibly sporadic and FPS drops down to nothing.

Let's not even mention the fact that while you're driving around on the maps, your vehicle shakes so bad and clips below the map so often that immobile fire is the only way to possibly shoot. Oh, wait.. that doesn't work because of the sliding issue. Funny, that.

All in all, I'm incredibly disappointed with this expansion. I would have happily waited until the holiday season to pick this up, if more time was spent fixing the incredible number of glitches and issues that must have been glaringly obvious to game testers and designers. If they weren't... I'm not sure what to tell you. For shame, Dice.

19. coleam

coleam Death Eater

It's not quite so bad on PC. I've definitely noticed higher latency/rubberband effects on the AK maps, especially during the spawn screen, and my overall latency has gotten worse (though I just got some new roommates, so it may be that they're hogging the bandwidth).

We also have the "no lock-on tone" glitch, though it sounds like you get it much more often. I've only had it happen to me once that I can think of.

In general, though, I really like the expansion. The gunship is decently balanced in conquest - it can dish out some serious damage, but it goes down pretty fast to compensate. It's still OP in rush though - but no one ever plays rush on the new maps.

Tank destroyers are fun, though I wish they had included the LAV on the new maps as well. The "jihad quad" is a shit ton of fun once you learn how to drive it without crashing into things, and makes a faster, harder to hit version of the jihad jeep if you're so inclined. I haven't figured out the mobile artillery yet - in skilled hands, it can rape, but it takes a bit of practice to aim properly.

The new maps are fun, but quite different from a lot of the previous maps. Bandar is enormous - so much so that even in a 64-player match, it can still feel empty. However, it also has tons of vehicles, so you usually have no problems finding a quad, jeep, or tank to get around in. The other three are a little more reasonably-sized, but still large enough to support massive vehicle warfare. I think Alborz Mountain is my favorite - gorgeous scenery, and enough cover that tactical infantry play is still a viable option despite the number of vehicles.

All in all, this definitely feels like an expansion designed more for PC players and 64-player matches. Which is only fair, since Close Quarters feels more like a console expansion.

20. bob99

bob99 High Inquisitor