1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Battlefield 3

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by fash, May 12, 2011.

1. logiccosmic

logiccosmic DA Member

Just started up.

Oh god, the dying.

2. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

Oh yes. You will die. You will die often. You will die to bullshit grenades that come out of nowhere, you'll die to bullets that seem to curve around corners.

Oh yes. You will die.

But like all the others said, as a noob, kills arent that high of a priority. This is a team game. Medpacks, ammopacks, and defib usage is a high priority and they give points and ribbons!

Of course if you've got an enemy kill him.

Normal: About 10 bullets from the M4A1 I think? Two body shots for sniper rifles unless head shot of course.

Hardcore: 5,1(anywhere),5, 5

Hardcore is hardcore. XD

Most servers will turn off minimap and spotting. Turns out camoflage... actually works. I've stumbled ontop of an enemy sniper. Backed into someone hiding in a bush.

3. Myduraz

Myduraz Headmaster DLP Supporter

Atleast 3 body shots for the starting sniper rifles.

If you're planning to spend a lot of time sniping, I'll recommend leveling it up on a tdm canals. It has a good layout to play recon and get kills whilst remaining relatively safe. The distances are short enough and the surroundings aren't going to cause you alot of issues camouflage wise. 'Safe spots' would include the catwalk, and the docking bay beneath the crane.

Cranecamping may seem like a good idea but any competent player, and especially a sniper, will feed on you easily.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  4. coleam

coleam Death Eater

Where are you shooting people that it takes 10 bullets to kill them? As long as you're on target, it's anywhere from 4-8 bullets in the chest to kill (depending on distance and gun). ARs and carbines generally start with around 25 damage/shot out to 10m and drop off to 14-17 or so at max range. The primary difference between ARs and carbines is that carbine damage drops off quicker. Headshots do double damage, so you can generally drop someone in 2-3 headshots with an AR. One thing that's key in this game is learning to control your instinct to "spray and pray." Burst fire is much more accurate and will usually kill faster.

I'm personally not a fan of hardcore. I do like some things about it: lack of 3D spotting an minimap, no health/damage regen, but it's far too easy to get kills. For example, a bolt-action sniper is a one-shot kill on any body part at any range and you can drop people with 3 shots to the chest at close range with many automatic weapons. Sure, it's more "realistic" that way, but the way they achieved it isn't particularly good. All they did was drop max health to 80% with no other balance considerations. As a result, some guns are pretty overpowered. TKing is supposed to make people think more about where they're shooting and throwing nades, but in reality, at least in your average PUG, you tend to get idiots who still treat it like Normal mode and spam fire down the corridor you're trying to advance down.

5. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  6. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

I played on a Hardcore server for the first time last night. The same guy, who ended up winning the round (Scavenger, Azadi Palace), team killed me four times for absolutely no reason. In none of the times were there any enemies anywhere near me. Ugh.

I want to like Hardcore, but I just can't stand friendly fire. This is just one instance in a long line I experienced in BC2. Though I liked BC2's hardcore when the Carl Gustav was banned.

7. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

Scavenger? Isnt the one with no ammo or anything? He probably killed you for the ammo.

Still he's a dick. usually I just leave the server. i dont like to play with perpetual team killers.

On Hardcore, Team killing sucks. Most times its an accident. Walk into a room, freak out that there's someone else there. Kill him. Realize oh shit that was my teammate. Just make sure to take culpability in chat after.

As with all MMO games you'll have your trolls, sore losers, dicks, idiots and so and so forth. Case in point, my most recent game Karkand Conquest Assualt. Defending Team. We're losing. but not too much not like last game where it was like 500 to 100 when I joined. This time its a closer 120 to 24.

Some guy starts calling us all(server wide. I checked. I asked. He said it was all of us. His team included) scrubs and losers.

This guy.

Was on the Winning team.

the WINNING. TEAM.

What.

How do... I dont understand. How can you be a sore winner. That doesnt make any sense. I dont get it.

8. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

Yes, Scavenger is the mode where you start with only a pistol and you have to pick up guns located around the map. Usually you only pick up enough ammo for maybe two clips of an assault rifle, one for light machine guns, and maybe 15-20 rounds for shotguns. It's a lot of fun when you don't have someone team killing you.

I never considered he was after my ammo, but that could be a possibility. I did get lucky with guns on that round and picked up some good ones. He never once apologised for the team kills, despite me calling him out on it from the second time onward. I was a pretty unhappy chappy by the end of it, though he bailed after that round. Only reason I stuck around was because I was second (by a significant margin).

There's always one person who wants to ruin the fun.

I wish more servers played Rush (in Australia at least). Had an amazing run the other day on Damavand Peak and Kharg Island, nabbing six M-Com stations. Seine Crossing, the one time I've seen it on Rush, was a load of fun too. I think I'm in the minority with my enjoyment in it though. So many people just want to camp. All I want to do is the objective.

9. bob99

bob99 High Inquisitor

You also could have gotten a bad server. Most HC servers I've seen kick you on your third teamkill. But if you want a different experience, try a crouch only server. They kick you for running or walking. I occasionally accidentally log onto one. I don't particularly like them.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  10. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Most HC servers I've been on have the option to kill the team killer by writing !punish into the chat (or !forgive, if you're generous and he's not being a dick).

One variation I like is TDM on Canals with Bolt Action Snipers only (i.e. the ones where you have to pull a lever after every shot) on Hardcore. HC means you one shot kill everyone you hit, I recommend not using a scope (or 4x at most) for this.

11. coleam

coleam Death Eater

You don't drop your weapon/ammo when you die in scavenger. The only ways to get more ammo are to pick up a new weapon when it spawns, die, or find the lone ammo crate on the map.

12. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Yeah it's constant at first, then gets better. Once I get reflex sight up I'm usually okay on the gun I'm using. I wish to god the early unlocked sniper scopes weren't shit. I miss mil dots, I guess they come later after the shitty 4, 7, 8x scopes?

Thanks for the tip about chopper gunning, I didn't know that counted, but it makes sense.

13. coleam

coleam Death Eater

Yep. You can see the unlock progression for a weapon by clicking on it on the Battlelog weapons page. You get the holo sight on the semi-auto rifles (i.e. SKS, SVD, Mk 11) at 50 kills. 80 for bolt action guns. Red dot/Kobra sight is 90 for both guns.

14. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

I think mil dots are on 8x scopes? And 12? I know the m39 EMR has an 8x scope and it seems to have mil dots. Or maybe Im misremembering.

M416 is an OP gun. Nice magazine size and people dies when I shoots.

15. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Just got and End Game and holy shit this is awesome. The bikes add so much chaos to Capture the Flag. Especially when just as you have the flag bearer a person speeds by and he hops on and away. And then giving chase on your bike and you switch to passenger and gun them down. I haven't been able to stop playing.

16. bob99

bob99 High Inquisitor

17. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Close Quarters, the worst out of all the DLC's.

18. coleam

coleam Death Eater

Why do you think they picked it as the free one? But seriously, it's not that horrible, so long as you don't try to play it on a 64-man server. The maps are designed for 16-20 players, and are actually pretty excellent with those numbers. Once you hit 24, it starts feeling just a bit crowded. The problem is that no one wants to run small servers on PC.

19. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

That's why it's pretty fun on PS3. Just running and gunning for a bit is relaxing after awhile.