1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Best free anti... everything?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Evran, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Evran

Evran Dark Lord Grimwulf DLP Supporter

Sorry for the dumb post, but I would like some recommendations for the best free anti spyware/malware/adware/virus/trojan out there. I used to use Spyware Terminator back when I was using XP, but currently most of its features don't work for vista 64-bit. Any recommendations would be fine. Thanks in advance.

2. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Well I'm not expert but I use Kaspersky, it has lots of features.

I'm really impressed with its firewall, any kind of network activity it will detect and block, tell you whats going on(Inbound/outbound, port, Ip etc) and asks you what to do.

I use this combined with a tiny program called Tea Timer, which is a tool that's part of Spybot S&D. Tea Timer will detect any changes in the registry.

3. Knox

Knox The Last Remnant DLP Supporter

At the crossroad where the demon lies. Waiting to
    Avira is pretty good, But I would recommend you find a few (Two or Three) All in ones that work together and don't cancel each other out. Avira, Avast, and AVG/AVG Spyware, Those three work well.

Ad-Block, as far as I know also works with these, I'm not sure as I haven't re-downloaded it on my laptop after I had to re-install everything.

4. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Idiot. -__- You pick one Antivirus and that's that. Change to another one if you must, but don't run multiple Antivirus programs at once.

Personally I use avast as my Antivirus. It's very good at not letting shit past it. Be forewarned, however, that the update alerts can scare the fucking shit out of you if you have the volume up high but aren't listening to anything. <_< Also, for the last few days it's been randomly using up 100% of mah CPU and slowing the computer like crazy. Pisses me off as the whole point of avast is that it's supposed to be very resource friendly and work in the background (which it used to be). Gonna see if wiping it and reinstalling will help (also bear in mind that my computer is a piece of shit that's dying so that may most likely is the cause and no fault of avast's).

Anyway, Avast, Avira AntiVir and AVG are the three best in most people's opinions. From the little I know, Avira is slightly better at detection of viruses, whilst Avast has the most features (no scheduled scans though <_<).

I use Ad-Aware for adware and PG2 (not sure if it has been ported to vista) and a good router as a firewall and they've done me well so far. Apart from that, the best defence is just common sense when using the computer (never run an executable from a source you don't know can be trusted etc.).

5. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

I usee AVG and Ad-Aware SE. Both are decent. Ad-Aware gets rid of spyware/ad-ware.

6. Evran

Evran Dark Lord Grimwulf DLP Supporter

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll go with Avira and Ad-aware.