1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

BF2 help

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Antivash, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I think a few people round here play BF2... i .. acquired ... and installed it and need a it of help... it wont seem to run for me.. i get the first splash screen and then a black screen before it dies and i get windows again... any ideas on WHY this would happen and a solution to ix it?

2. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Re: Prolly not the right place to ask this buuuutt....

It doesn't work on a great range of video cards. Look in the readme and see if you have any of the EXACT cards listed.

I had the exact same problem with my ATI 9250 256mg PCI Card. It supports the AGP version of it, as well as older ATI PCI cards, but not the PCI 9250.

I'd start it, get to a splash screen, then it'd go black and eventually I'd hear music. This music plays while a fullscreen background video is playing, and evidentally it's shitty coding is what keeps very specific cards from ever being able to play the game.

It did it again to me once I upgraded to my Nvidia 6800, turns out that time it was my firewalls popup box asking me if I wanted to allow it access that was blocking it.

If you're only getting one splash screen however, and you're not getting the radio chatter/music, try this

3. Antivash

fuckinf bastards... dun support my video card >_<

4. Midknight

5. Antivash

128Mb Gforce4 MX 4000 .. gonna upgrade when i get paid the 9th prolly...

6. Midknight

ew. Yeah I recommend getting a 6600GT (GT ONLY) or a Geforce 6800. Both AGP cards will run most anything out atm in amazing detail provided you have other decent equipment to back it up.

BF2 is without a doubt the harshest game out atm, I've got a gaming rig and I can't put most of the settings above medium with 4xFSAA, and I can't use the special lighting or shadows at all or I go under 40 fps.. which for this game is crippling, The game starts to stutter, and you will not hit shit.

A friend has a 3 ghz dual core AMD, with a PCI-E 7800, with 2 gbs of Ram, and he can hit medium on most settings, with lighting and shadows, and runs smooth at 80fps+ with 2x FSAA.

Check my specs in the spec thread, see if you're anywhere remotely close to it, if you're not, honestly, either the game will run like someone painted it with dirt and feces, or you won't run it playable at all

7. Antivash

blah ... only running an AMD Athlon XP-M 2800+ (2.13Ghz) with 512Mbs DDR... gonna pick up a 256 card the 10th... or somwhere there around... if i cant run it with that i give up on yje thing... its an EA product.. cant be THAT good...

8. Midknight

Nah it's actually the best game EA's ever put out.

You AMD will be fine, generally AMD runs games better then Intel's anyhow.

You'll want at least a gig of ram, and a 2 gig swap file. This is one of the very, very few games that will utilized every drop of RAM you throw at it. The difference between loading times alone going from 1 gig to 2 gigs is mind numbing.

Look into the cards I mentioned, you can get them easily for 100-150$ tops on ebay or newegg

9. darkinferno9908

darkinferno9908 Second Year

Question, are you running peerguardian 2 or a firewall which you have to allow connections? Because the game connects (trys) to the internet when it first loads and if the firewall blocks it then it's not gonna work.

And yea, it is a very good (and draining) game.

10. Midknight

I run Peerguardian2, and Sygate Firewall, as well as a hardware router.

You just have to make custom rules in order to let the game do what it wants to do

Or you could simple make a rule to allow anything, but only to BF2.exe. Very simple.

As for Peerguardian, turn it off when you played BF2, it's not worth it to have it up, the only time Peerguardian is ever helpful to me, is when I run Azerus, and then I get several hundred hits an hour from blocks. The only time I get blocks from it that have gotten through my firewall are ad sites or popups if I'm not downloading something via bit torrent

11. Antivash

arg...middy, oh great god of BF2!...ive got a problem i cant figure out... my game crashes after the map load screen thingy... any idea why?

could it be because some evil hacker uploaded a disk image of the game to my HD or something else?

Specs just to be sure if you can help:
    AMD Athlon XP-M 2800+ (2.13Ghz)
    512Mbs DDR Ram
    256MB DDR ATI Radeo 9550 8x/4x AGP
    MS WinXP Pro SP 2
    Battlefied 2/Battlefield 2 Special forces with 1.2 Patch

12. Midknight

if it's an illegal copy I can't help I know it's rare to get that sort of copy working with this game. I forget why but I remember reading it on the forums.

Check out planetbattlefield @ http://www.forumplanet.com/planetbattlefield/forum.asp?fid=13392

I also remember I had a crash issue like this whenever I modified the bf2.exe to ignore whether or not the play disk was in the drive. BF2'd still check it if it was in to pull something at map load and crash on me, or give me a punkbuster file modified msg.

13. Murton

Murton DJ OEM DLP Supporter

for your *cough image* version, try getting a patch from gamecopyworld for your copy you bought but want to have no cd in the drive *cough*

I bought my game *cough* and used this patch i found there to stop my dvd being sacrificed.....

Works well....

If you want to play mulitplayer, buy the real version, then you can get a real Serial. Single player just aint as good as multiplayer is.