1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Bloodborne PS4

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Gengar, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm a little annoyed that story bosses are showing up in Chalice Dungeons (Rom and BSB), but there are some real crazy enemies in there that don't show up in the regular game either.

I finally got all the weapons too. The last one only obtainable in CD. I've only really used the cane, blade of mercy and burial blade.

Chikage looks like it could be awesome, but I don't have enough Bloodtinge to take advantage of it.

There's a Gunblade too, lol. I might try it out.

2. Gengar

High Score:
    Jesus, I can't stop thinking about the fucking story. From handled a Lovecraftian horror story better than anyone else could imo.

The vague and bewildering nature, and the way plot ties into mechanics has only ever really been done by them before. It works much better in this setting than it does in the dark fantasy one of the previous games.

Is anyone else interested at all in this? Or you all just here for the gameplay?

3. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I have some mixed feelings. Yes, it was a rather excellent Lovecraftian horror story. But it wasn't advertised as one, and it was a bit of a surprise, and I felt like the tone of the game really shifted that way after Rom. It was almost abrupt. Yeah, there were hints and you see it all on your second playthrough, but it was almost like From was telling two stories, instead of one, and the first one got abandoned halfway through. It all does tie together in the end, though.

I personally prefer dark fantasy over Lovecraft, but what is there was definitely very well done.

4. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

Well, I got this game because I wanted to finally make myself play a From software game and beat it without giving up. Have had trouble getting into the Dark souls games. Can't really comment on the story yet, as I'm taking my sweet time through this, but I do love the atmosphere of the game. Old Yharnam was fucking insane. And whatever the heck those sack motherfuckers are. About had a heart attack the first time one of them killed me lol.

5. Gengar

High Score:
    It's not abrupt though, your insight (hur) allowed you to uncover the truth of the situation.

Everything is there from the beginning. Everything ties to The Old Ones, you just don't know that, because humans aren't meant to know that. You need to uncover that as your character gains insight and delves deeper into madness.

There's no way the game would have had that affect on me if I was expecting it.

Rom is also the guardian of the veil, which is why it's the turning point. No Rom means the veil is lifted, means we now see.

It all seems to have started with experimentation of Old One blood, which drove people insane/ mutated them. That lead to fleeing Byrg and founding the church and continuing experimentation, which lead to the beast plague, which leads to hunters to slay said beasts, but hunters are going crazy so they need to counter that, so they seemingly inject Old One blood into them to fight off the beastial transformation (represented with wolf on fire scene in the beginning), which could just be a ploy to facillitate the birth of an Old One, but does that imply Gehrman is working for the Moon Presence, but then why offer to sever me from HD and not allow me to be reborn? So does that mean Geh is not working with MP?

That's just a peek into my mind since beating the game. Round and round it goes.

I HAVE TOO MUCH INSIGHT!

6. Gengar

High Score:
    Well, when transferring my save onto another system to show it to a friend, I accidentally overwrote my advanced save with the one i already had on my USB for getting multiple endings.

Countless hours lost. I was lvl 201 after hours of grinding and not far off chalice dungeon trophy.

Back to 120 and being forced to do all the chalice dungeons again? Nope. Won't be getting this platinum... Sigh

I thought for sure there'd be a more recent save in my ps+ storage. Nada. Either writing to a usb stick removed it, or it doesn't naturally write there.

I'm...so shattered :(

7. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Aw nah fuck that noise.

8. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

I'm pretty sure that would make me cry like a baby.

9. Gengar

High Score:
    I GOT IT BACK! I'M A GENIUS!

I began investigating why the fuck I didn't have an automatic online backup when I found in my - ignored - notifications I have a shit load that say 'Failed to Upload *Game-X* save data to the cloud' or whatever.

Like, a lot. For loads of games.

I then found out (the stupidest thing and the thing I hate most about my console/ service) that PSN allows only 1GB of cloud save storage per account.

That may seem like a lot, but my saves for Dragon Age are like 100mb cumulatively (of what actually uploaded, I found an extra 500mb of saves that didn't upload because not enough space...), and it uploads, like, all your saves. Even the ones you don't care to back up, for even the shittiest of tiny games.

It also automatically uploaded my 'save' from NBA2K14. The one I made for the 15 minutes I played the game before realizing it wasn't for me and deleting/ selling it. All 600MB of it...

I did a furious culling of the save data I didn't give a shit about (so annoyed about the cap btw. Microsoft has unlimited cloud-save storage...), hoping it would ease my rage somewhat. When finished, I went back to my notifications and to the most recent 'failed' Bloodborne save upload (obviously done before my fuckup) then found out I could 'retry' the upload.

Retry an upload for a file that was no longer there.

Turns out it was.

For that to have worked, there must be a a file put aside somewhere on the system before it uploads that remains in limbo if it fails. Really odd.

The Platinum is back on!

This really has nothing to do with Bloodborne the game, but knowing how precious every bit of progress you make in this game is, I recommend you all do a culling of your cloud-save storage and turn off automatic-uploading for games you don't want backed up.

That 1GB limit nearly killed me :(

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  10. Exile

Exile High Inquisitor

I'm getting close to purchasing this game. I know it's not the most efficient build but I really want to do skill and arcane. Maybe bloodtinge. I'll probably stick with the threaded cane most of the game because from what I can see its the most versatile weapon in the game scaling with skill.

So if the o'mighty board could give me a few sugestions on useful spells (or whatever they're called in bloodborne) or sweet guns I'd much appreciate it.

11. Gengar

High Score:
    Guns aren't for damage. The only one that is needs a lot of strength. (30, I think, to use the cannon).

The only reason to level bloodtinge that I can see is for Chikage. It's a katana that scales super well with skill and bt, the L1 xform has you stab yourself to cake it in blood for extra dmg, but while it's enabled, you slowly lose health.

Threaded cane is what i started with and I maxed skill first. It has a relatively low scaling, but you can still add damage buffs to it (fire/ bolt paper).

Blade of Mercy (sword/daggers) and Burial Blade (sword/scythe) are the only weapons you can really segway into from that if you level Arcane next. The only other Arcane weapons are Str based.

I don't really use the spells, despite having them all and 50 Arcane. Maybe I should. I feel like that would be... unsafe though.

12. Exile

Exile High Inquisitor

Actually what kept me away from the souls series was the heavy reliance on shields so I'm looking forward to the guns stun mechanic.

HAve you toyed around with the hunters bone? The spell that speeds up rolls and dashes to look basically like teleporting. Looks crazy. Specially with a quick skill weapon.

13. Gengar

High Score:
    I did. I found my dodges were plenty quick without it tbh. It uses bullets instead of MP though (same with all magic items, no MP here. 5 bullets IIRC), and it doesn't last long.

The funny thing is, the enemies I'd find it most useful on are the ones I'd want to stun, so I need my bullets anyway :/

It needs low arcane to use anyways (16 IIRC). You can easily try it out for yourself.

14. TMNTurtwig

TMNTurtwig Professor

It and the Executioner's Gloves are great in PvP. Not so useful in PvE tho.

15. Gengar

High Score:
    Yeah, can't speak for pvp. BB and all other Souls games are single player to me.

16. Legacy

Legacy Death Eater DLP Supporter

So I decided to test whether you can actually play the game with a gun focused approach. Turns out ludwigs or the repeating pistol plus focusing on bloodtinge and using blood bullets actually hits like a god damn truck. Only took getting wrecked repeatedly by the guy at the end of Eileen's quest line with the chikage and repeating pistol to make me want to try it.

Seriously, fuck that guy.

17. Gengar

High Score:
    I mean, yeah, but you'll constantly be killing yourself for bullets :/

That's why I'd probably go skill THEN bt, so you'll be perfectly set up for chikage when you get it, while not gimping yourself too much on the way.

If you think those hit like a truck, try the cannon. It hits for thousands, but it consumes 10 bullets.

Awesome for finishing off bosses though if you built that way.

Edit: Actually, maybe belay that. Rifle spear seems to scale equally with BT/ skill. Might make full bt build viable.

18. Gengar

High Score:
    Ugh, these Chalice Dungeons...

Fought my hardest boss yet at the bottom of Ailing Loren (which is just a shitty hard dungeon full stop), you should all do it for the Beast Claw weapon though.

Dat Abhorrent Beast though... I cheesed the shit out of him. Legitimately, but cheesed all the same XD

19. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Bloodtinge build is not that bad. You do 300ish damage with 50 bloodtinge Evelyn with decent blood gems. Can do more. That's less in pvp, but you have that bone marrow ash for a reason. You can sac your health for bullets, and immediately hit an enemy to regain it. Combined with the more bullets and bullet gain from v.atk runes, it's pretty swell. Your guns do nice damage, and Chikage 2h mode is insanely beastly.

I do like one-shotting people with the cannon, lol. And it's also very good against some bosses.

20. Gengar

High Score:
    Yeah, you're right, but Chikage and Evelyn are both at Cainhurst IIRC. That's kinda late.

Then i remembered rifle spear. Good stopgap. I might try it. Just wanna see what dmg I'll do with Chikage transformed...