1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot Bowling For Hogwarts by zArkham -T

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by Methos, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Methos

Methos High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Title: Bowling For Hogwarts
    Author: zArkham
    Rating: T
    Genre: Drama/Tragedy
    Library Category: General/ almost recommended
    Pairings: none
    Summary:
    Time and time again the Bad Guys do bad things and get away with it. Time and time again the Good Guys take the low blow and just soldier on with their upper lips stiff. What might happen if someone couldn't hold it together? How would Magical Britain react? More to the point; who would they blame? A little One-Shot in documentary style.
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10755544/1/Bowling-For-Hogwarts

zArkham takes us what happens when people are bullied enough to the point it explodes.
    The life in Hogwarts during book 1-5 are rip for that, bullying is one by many people are rarely they are punished, when you try to stand up to them, you end up suffering more.
    Until a big event happen that throws everything into the wind, in this case the character who does it, isn't the usual suspect

I really liked this one-shot and it leaves opening for new world AU to explore in the aftermath of this events.

Grammar, writing skills and other technical stuff, can't really comment because i'm poor judge for all the above.

I'm not sure yet how to rate this one-shot 4/5 or 5/5.

2. Lord Murtaza

Lord Murtaza First Year

This one-shot absolutely reeks of angst.

This piece shares similarities with those Wrong!BWL/Betrayed!Harry fics, wherein the protagonist has been dealt a ludicrously horrible fate and proceeds to completely destroy all perceived *enemies*. Those fics aren't necessarily bad - provided you enjoy a good old wank fest - if they're done in a tasteful and tolerable manner. I myself occasionally enjoy them as decent time-wasters.

Unfortunately, the same could not be said for this flaming pile of garbage.

The fic reads as though the flame of righteous fury herself has descended from Valhalla to smite all those who have done our precious protagonists harm. Snape? Malfoy? Mustache-twirling Dumbledore? None are spared in this 8k word-long rant about how Harry and company have been oh so so wronged.

The fic in it's entirety might have even been tolerable if the writing was any good. There is a pathetically thin attempt to add dimension by bringing in different characters to be in 'interviewed' - but they all sound exactly similar to the extent that the names before the text had no meaning. Pacing is all over the place, and makes an already banal piece even more of a pain to read.

2/5 and even then I'm seriously considering changing that to 1/5.

3. buzzer

buzzer Slug Club Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not going to rate because I only made to the end of Hermione's interview, but what I did read was very cringy and includedo tropes that I'm not a fan of including slight Muggle wank and Dumbledore bashing. It seemed to be classic indy Harry stuff and I've read enough of that recently.

Credit where it's due though the idea to tell the story in interviews separated with scene setters was something that I quite liked.

4. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This is trash. The format is annoying and a poor way to tell a story. The plot is a godawful handful of cliches - which can be okay, but they're executed exceedingly poorly as well. The author has clearly misunderstood everything JKR was attempting to accomplish and has little understand of basic literary device.

Out of everything here, the only novel element was the disclaimer. And even that was irritating, because of what an absurd piece of wank it is to include such disclaimers.

2/5

5. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

The only nice thing I have to say about this fic is that the author has a decent grasp of the nuts and bolts of writing. Grammar, punctuation, and spelling are all generally correct. The style is amusing, but it’s executed poorly. I don’t read stories to read a script.

Otherwise, this is a pile of shit, and I will never have those twenty minutes back.

1/5

6. Vallaquenta

Vallaquenta Squib DLP Supporter

Egh, one of the greatest mistakes in this story is the 'telling, not showing'. It's an acquired taste yet I feel that it greatly reduces the quality of the story. This story also regurgitates pretty much all of the indie!Harry fanfic:
    • Evil!Dumbles
    • Dumbles imprisoned
    I like the original concept but feel like it's just two persons; the people don't seem to have any character; all conversation is the same.

All in all, the story feels like https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12335841/3/The-101-Guide-To-Writing-the-Ultimate-Fanfiction, it really does!

2/5 (not 1/5 because of the original concept)

7. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

1/5

This is pretty cringe worthy on a lot of levels.

First, the use of an interview style doesn't really work - it's a kind of style more suited to a jigsaw puzzle, with each interview giving us a different piece and forming a part of the overall picture. World War Z does this well, showing us multiple perspectives (not just people reiterating the same points which gets boring) and shows us how things developed as a result of those interviews.

Here, everyone kind of says the same thing. After the first two people, nothing new is really added.

Then we get into other problems like treating "school shootings" rather lightly (there's no maturity in the discussion) or the fact that such an idea wouldn't even really work in HP world given every kid is trained with a magic gun (ignoring the fact that the academics tend to be the elites in terms of skill, it's hard to imagine a one sided slaughter that the story tries to sell).

Certain turns of phrases just irked me the wrong way too - Leader of the Light, is the one that sticks out in my head and this whole simplified Light vs Dark political system of the HP world apparently.

I feel there's definitely potential with the idea, in the right hands, discussed with the right weight, framed in the right way. But this has none of that and can't really go above a 1/5 for the piss poor execution.

8. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I knew it was going be a school shooting inspired story from the title.

It's a shit fic. I'd give it a zero if I could, but a 1/5 will have to do.