1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Bungle in the Jungle: A Harry Potter Adventure by jbern - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by jbern, Apr 13, 2006.

1. gabriel

gabriel First Year

two more weeks huh?
    :puke: hard to read the part about ginny looking good, i know had to be done but still. the rationalization of dating ron because he wouldnt handle her dating harry seems a little extreme :?: where did that loyality come from?
    fluer in lingerie, if you bring a camera into the pensive with you, can you take pictures of the memories :twisted:
    very original what you did with luna, or atleast i have never seen it before, it will be interesting to hear the backstory on that. a defensive response to her father being the editor of the quibbler? why go out of your way to ensure you have no friends

2. Myst

Myst Headmaster

I enjoyed that chapter. It was very interesting as usual. You know a Harry/Luna would be a pretty interesting pair in this fic if you actually do it, especially with just a one sided thought process.

I also liked how Bill has worked out. He wasnt so damn cliched as with lots of Harry running to Bill stories.

and Finally, I liked Fleur in her knickers, haha Harry will cherish that memory.

3. Xanatos

Xanatos Professor

This story is really shaping up, and i really cant w8 till the next update, i'l leave a very long review after the next chapter, but congrats, this is one of the few fics i look for updates, well done :cheers:

4. The Sinner

The Sinner Looked into the void

Somewhere between the heretic and Un'aria
    So far this story is platinum material. Though the Dumbledore-steals-harrys-money is cliche a bit, the plot twist you instituted was wonderful. I would have never thought to do it the way you had, nor many others.

Recently I have come to find myself longing for Harry/Luna stories or at the least a very brother/sister relationship amongst the two. You set it up to be very interesting in later chapters to come, which I do hope come often and to completion. The way you depicted Luna to be was wonderful and something I have not often seen, if at all. Please, do not refrain from doing more of it!

Bill has me curious. Who's side is he on? Is he for Harry? For Dumbledore (which right now seems unlikely)? Is he for himself? Or is he neutral? It will be interesting to see where you take him.

It just came to my mind that the way events are playing out for Harry, him leaving and everyone throwing a hissy, is also part of Dumbledore's plans. Maybe Luna is also part of the plan, though she is not aware of it. Perhaps Bill is too, and taking Harry to South America was a way for Harry to get training? Who knows! Conspiracy abound!

Keep it coming mate!

5. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

I agree about Dumbles.

(Finally thought I should review)

That is my one big complaint. In the interests of full disclosure, I should mention I help beta this.

So...BOY, was I WAY OFF about Luna, eh Jbern?! :D

I thought she was portrayed a little too crazy and OOC but people seem to LOVE it. I agree with Sinner, about the whole money thing, and tried to suggest a way to justify/explain it to Jbern. He didn't take my advice. Eh, what are you going to do?

ANyway, this story is MUY fantastic (that's Spanish for "Very")

And this story still rocks. So, Jbern....UPDATE!!! :D :D :D ;)

6. Athenia

Athenia Groundskeeper

Although I'm never big on overly vengeful Potter fics, I would find it really hard if you had your Harry ever really forgive anyone in this story regardless of them believing they did the right thing. Unless your IQ is under 80 and you have no common sense(or your morally inept), how can you ever think it is ok to more or less drug someone, erase there memory, use their money and convince them that they should be dating you? Especially if you are that person's friend? I mean really, Harry has SAVED two of the family's lives, given a whole hell of a lot of money so that two more Weasley's could fulfill their dreams, were best friend's with another Weasley and they go "Oh, it seems like a good idea to robe this person of their choice, their memories and their grief" No matter how much you think a person would be better off happier (cause really, who isn't better off happier) Rape of the heart and mind seems a whole lot worse than what we put people behind bars for. Anyway, rant aside, months apart, while making him no longer think homicidal thoughts, probably shouldn't make anyone who isn't a weakwilled "mamma's boy" ever forgive something like that.

7. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

There is a big difference between "forgiving someone" and "not going on a murdering rampage that will put you into Azkaban".

8. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

Good idea with the pensieve, harry should definetly buy one, or maybe even steal dumbledores. Could you imagine: Dumbledore's pensieve go's missing right under his nose? it would confuse the hell out of him..

9. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

Hi all. Thanks for the comments.

Dark S - Glad you are giving this version of Luna a chance. We'll see what develops with her. There's a bit of a backstory there.

Gabriel - It's hard to understand Hermione's motivations. Unfortunately, since I am only giving you the same info that Harry is getting you may have to draw your own conclusions. That said, if you try and look at it from her perspective, she got to see what Harry looked like when he was trying to be her boyfriend. Maybe she didn't like what she saw? From what little I have provided, you know that Harry became very serious and was trying to be bookish to impress her. Maybe her guilt was finally catching up with her?

Myst - There will be at the very least a correspondence relationship between the two. I didn't know there were a lot of Harry running to Bill stories?

Xantos - Chapter 4 will be out next weekend. I need to revise it a little and then send it off to FairyQ.

Sinner - Thanks for the comments. In chapter 4 you get to see the first written exchanges between the two. Bill, well he is on his own side. Aren't we all? He is a good guy trying to do right by people the best he can. Dumbledore does have a reason behind his actions. You will find out when Harry finds out. As for the cliche, well there are reasons behind that too.

Chuck - People like original ideas! I'm betting the first person who wrote a redeemed Draco story got all kinds of kudos. Its one thing to have an original concept, but the proof will be if I can successuflly pull it off. I did take your advice about the money thing. It just isn't in this chapter or the next one (since you have already beta read it) that argument will be in chapter 5. I tried to insert it into chapter 3 but it didn't work there.

Athenia - Two months can be a long time. One of my big beefs with JKR is that her basic plot hasn't changed through 6 books. Somethings going on at Hogwarts. Harry knows. Sometimes Ron and Hermione believe him,sometimes they don't. No one else does though.

He'll deal with his feelings about the rest of the Weasleys, Hermione and Dumbledore. You'll notice that the next few chapters will include many refernces to how pissed off he is. Gradually they will taper off as he starts to realize that there are more important things - staying alive being one of them.

IP82 has a good point and Killginny has a good idea about the pensieve. Harry will acquire one of his own at somepoint in the story. I already have an idea or two I am tossing around in my head.

All for now. Happy reading,
    Jim

(Does anyone know what's wrong with FF.net? I haven't been able to log in for two days. I know it's not just me, because there haven't been any new stories posted since the 27th.)

10. tridentwatch

tridentwatch Looked into the void

Hey me too! I cant log in ff.net either. Try posting your fic at ficwad or something eh?

11. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

That twist with Luna was one I have never seen. Great idea.

I have read a lot of betrayed and revenge seeking Harry fic. If you don't mind a suggestion have Harry eventually forgive them just that he doesn't forget. Or have him pull their strings for a change. Turnabout is fair play and all that...

"It was for the greater good" Harry replied mockingly.

12. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

ff.net is back up.

I really enjoyed the Luna twist. Harry!Luna is one of my favorite pairings, so I'm hoping that that is where this is going. I'm also rather looking forward to seeing Harry train up for the scene at the start.

The story is really coming along. Good job.

13. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

Tridentwatch - Yeah I already have a copy up on ficwad. Nice site. Not too much traffic goes there. Chapter 13 of my other story has recieved almost 6000 hits on ff.net. Ficwad has barely topped 300 for the same chapter. So it's a nice place for a backup, but it would be nice if it had more readers.

Niffler Lord - Thanks for the encouragement. I'll take your suggestion into account. Harry still has a long way to go. Current plans have Harry returning to England no sooner than the end of September or beginning of October. He'll have seen things and done things. He'll be a different person than the naive boy seen in chapter 2.

DarthBill - Glad you enjoyed it. They will have a relationship. How deep it goes remains to be seen. Most of it will be through correspondence for half of the story.

Happy reading,
    Jim

14. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

Chapter 4 is up!

Okay Chapter 4 is up for all your reading enjoyment. I am going to try and get further ahead, but in June and July I have to study for my CCIE written exam. Until fan fiction writing starts paying, I have to keep up on my certifications to keep myself employed.

Anyway, hope you enjoy Harry and Luna's correspondence. Maybe this explains a bit of her actions.

Happy reading,
    Jim

15. Myst

Myst Headmaster

Mm yes, that does explain some things, a relativly good chapter. Slow although, since being on an airplane is ridiculously boring, we need some fun activites <cough>Jungle Exploring</cough>. ;)

/Myst

16. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

Great chapter, thought a tad slow. I’m beginning to see a Harry/Luna paring done is a unique way, which is good. I also liked your portrayal of Luna and the Harry’s thoughts.

Are you going to skip some time to when Harry returns to England?

17. Xanatos

Xanatos Professor

I was just wandering about the people Harrys gonna meet in the jungle, are they going to act as mentors, friends or trainers?

18. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

Very nice. Kind of sucks that Harry had to tell Bill about Luna. People don't usually like it when they tell you a secret and you immediatly tell some one else. That Harry saw some of himself in Buzz Lightyear was great, if a little depressing. Keep up the good work.

19. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

Myst - We'll get to the jungle, but first there's a shopping trip, some introductions and three hot Canadian teenagers to deal with.

Niffler Lord - That's what I was shooting for something unique. Hard to come by in the world of fanfiction.

If I get the chance, the one plot bunny circling my mind right now is a silly story Ginny runs smack into Luna right outside F&B after getting the diary. Their cauldrons spill and Luna ends up with the diary. In this case Luna is crazy like in cannon. Follow the misadventures of the Diary of Tom Riddle as it tries unsuccessfully to possess, coerce, threaten, plead with and bribe Luna Lovegood into opening the Chamber of Secrets. What do you think? I was chuckling at the possibilities.

Xantos - The answer is some will be tolerant of him, some will mentor him and others will befriend him. He is going to be introduce as a cousin who will do be the camp cook and stand a bit of liethfold guard at night. Imagine you are a seasoned Hitwizard hired to do a protection gig for a research trip into the jungles of SA and the head of the expedition brings his snot nosed cousin along and the kid keeps pestering you to train him.

DarthBill - Luna will let him know that she wasn't impressed with his secret keeping skills. Good thing Harry only saw himself as Buzz Lightyear, considering Nick Cage's character in Leaving Las Vegas was suicidal.

Back to the grind,
    Jim

20. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

ROFL! This is the best plot-bunnies I've heard in a long time. Oh, I do hope someone takes this up if you're unable to do it...