1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Carnival of Dark and Dangerous Creatures by DragonDi - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by The Berkeley Hunt, Jan 18, 2011.

1. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

Title: Carnival of Dark and Dangerous
    Author: DragonDi
    Rating: M
    Genre: Drama/Angst
    DLP Category: General
    Pairing: None.
    Chapters: 32
    Words: 173,547
    Updated: November 6, 2008
    Published: July 21, 2008

Summary: Four years ago, Remus Lupin lost his friends to death and betrayal. Now he finds himself betrayed once more, and in a place where death may very well be preferred.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4412736/1/Carnival_of_Dark_and_Dangerous_Creatures

Good fic for fans of Lupin, or dramatic fics in general. The plot is basically Remus getting kidnapped and stuffed in a carnival.
    While he is there, they use him as a carer for the animals, and as a show for customers. The guys who run the place also make a show of his transformation, and takes his blood and fur. While Lupin does make grudging friends with a captured centaur, things also go to shit down that avenue as well. He eventually gets away, but it takes a long time and a lot of effort to heal the scars he gains while there.
    While I normally wouldn't even read the first chapter of a fic like this, it did win some award or other so I checked it out. It turned out to be a lot more brutal in its portrayal than I thought it would be, and it was surprisingly immersive as well.

I was impressed with the author's characterization. Lupin is at no time out of his character, even when taken to situations far outside where his character is usually taken, which is even more of an achievement considering the story doesn't explicitly break canon at any point. The drama if the situation is portrayed very well. the author is equally good at showing the challenges of life as a werewolf as well as life as a slave in a carnival.

My criticism of this fic is that it does slip into angst a bit too much, and the characterization of Moody is a little more protective than I usually like. Grammar was not a problem, which is always nice to see.

I give it a solid 3.7/5. It may not have the same awesome quotient as some other fics have been known to have but it did make me give a shit about what happened, which is pretty rare nowadays.

Checked by Minion, July 28, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2013
  2. b0b3rt

b0b3rt Backtraced

I got up to chapter 5 and agree with your comments on characterization and such, but I just couldn't get into it. Not sure why, but it didn't hook me. I'm going to avoid rating it until I finish (if I finish), but I'd otherwise give it a 4/5 for writing and idea.

3. Izzy Azrael

Izzy Azrael Muggle

Good use of characterization. Though not much of a lupin fan, the idea of the mild mannered Lupin having to deal with such extraordinary situations throws him into a new light. Your vivid descriptions of his emotions and pains add to the realism of the story, allowing us to see the true torture he goes through, something that isn't approached by many fan-fics I've read so far. All in all, an enjoyable read. 4/5

4. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    An interesting and fun read. I'm not usually one to go for a fic that doesn't have Harry as the main character, but this one really isn't half bad. Definitely getting into it.

4/5

5. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

On reflection, this deserves like a 2.5. Do not recommendo.