1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Child of Mercy by Fayr Warning - K (but its hardcore)

Discussion in 'Dark Arts' started by ChuckDaTruck, Oct 8, 2005.

1. PsychicLunar

PsychicLunar Third Year

Fayr mentioned somewhere that the problem with Reign of Power is what Child of Mercy's was, she doesn't know where to go. She more than likely will finish.

Harry's characterization in Child of Mercy is done really well so far, and as far as I could gather from her other fic, she can stay rather balanced with that. I'll have to wait and see though, but this is one of my favorite wandless magic, terrorized Dursley, prodigy Harry fics.

Ravenclaw Harry is starting to come up a lot, damn. That means I have to do something else.

2. Voivod

Voivod Guest

the whole thing with not knowing where she was going with this until now worries me. Well I'm fine with whol elemental thing, partiocullarly after Fayr's short little explaination.

This characteraztiopn of Harry is my second favorite. Happy Red Prince beats it out. Although his constant questioning is starting to annoy me a little bit

3. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Yeah. Her comment about not knowing where a fic is going makes me doubt we'll see the end of this one or Reign of Power. I just re-read this one finally. Her style is very engaging and I certainly enjoy it. But I think I'll need another half dozen chapters before I'll read more of this one.

Lately, I've been preferring barely average completed fics to the endless amounts of brilliant and unfinished WIPs out there. Of course half the time those average completed fics started out as brilliant WIPs.

4. PsychicLunar

PsychicLunar Third Year

I don't really trust WIPs very much because a lot of people don't continue them after awhile. I'm just in denial that one of my favorite authors would leave her stories hanging. This one, however, hopes very much that RoP and CoM will eventually be finished up, though writers' block is stubborn and bad. Very, very bad. ::Smacks Writers' Block With Binder::

The constant questioning is tiring sometimes, other times I'm satisfied that he truly is pursuing answers in a way that I honestly think a particularly ambitious, eleven year old, unofficial prodigy would. Ask until you get what you want. Hopefully Harry will grow out of this as he gets older, but for now it's tolerable as he is technically still young in the head despite being consderably mature and slightly... would jaded be the word? It's not quite what I'm looking for, no... vindictive, forceful, discreetly sadistic for his age, whatever it is, on the assumption that the fic continues I hope Harry's personality undergoes a few changes as he gains more experience.

Like dropping the "constant questioning" for more productive ways when what he needs is more than he can ask of teachers. Meh...

5. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

Loved the new chapter.

6. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It wasn't bad, fairly enjoyable.

7. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

Good update. Finally get a better sense of the politics of this world. Marcus Flint is WAY off canon in this story, but it works. Perhaps he's a little too much, but then again, why not him?

Pretty good. I like the golden powder thing. Interesting stuff.

8. DreamRed

DreamRed Seventh Year

Ah, I've said it before but man I love this story, especially Flint. Nice to see Harry getting some obstacles in his magical learning and having to find a different way of doing things rather than the fanon cliche of the young!powerful!Harry who can do everything without having to do much more than frown.

9. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

Yeah, but Flint is irking me. Tom Riddle is FUCKING VOLDEMORT. The comparison between the two irked me. Enough that it ruined the fic? Absolutely not, this is still one of the best fics going, but it certainly is a big leap.

If Voldemort is one of a kind and in the same league as Albus, then it kind of reduces the importance and uniqueness of Harry, Albus, and Tommy if Marcus Flint suddenly joins the league of omniscient and worldly cool guys.

On a second reading, it doesn't feel entirely right. I don't mind "the Circle," but making Marcus such an awesome leader that he warrants comparison to Voldemort doesn't sit right with me. Harry doing shots waqs odd, butr there's something deliciously evil about it.

(^^)
    --

P.S. That figure on the left is supposed to be an evil smilie. I don't know why the removed it.

10. the-caitiff

the-caitiff Death Eater

I've got no problem with Flint. I really like the Circle, it shows us alot more of Hogwarts than canon. Anyone with much experiance in the "real world" knows that the "Old Boys Club" or "Circle" or whatever you wish to call it is a very real thing. These groups are not only inevitable, but damned influential too.

For a belivable super/elemental!Harry, good politics, and very nice characterization, 5/5!

11. Thorn

Thorn Professor

(lord its been a long time since I posted here)

I don't think it is so much as Flint has the power of Voldemort, or even the potential , its that he has good charisma.

I can't wait for the next chapter though, I wanna see some more development in the circle dammit.

12. Afiz

Afiz First Year

Checked out the latest chapter; its 'quality'. Looks like Harry's is slowly introducing his face (making friends) into the exclusive political circle, albiet unkownily on his part.

This continues to be one of the best HP(s) out there. Just curious though, should this fic not be in 'independent' forum page of the site!? It doesn't look like Harry is particularly dark, maybe different but not dark. But then he's only eleven. So we shall see.

New chapter; five *****. deserving of noting less...

Hope the author atleast takes a notepad with on this pending vacation.

Fiz

13. deathtehfluffybunny

deathtehfluffybunny Fourth Year

I always like the interaction he has with his family, showing more of the background to his personality, good chapter.

14. Oujou Akaash

Oujou Akaash Unspeakable

i always liked her story but there is only one that i never liked. politics. i understand politics is increadiably important but involving a 11 yeal old kid with politics is disturbing. even if he was a genius with a different personality.

15. Fayr Warning

Fayr Warning First Year

Well....hello.

Anyway, this Harry story was always meant to be dark in the sense that this Harry wouldn't forgive or care about anyone other than himself. Can't exactly be a hero if it means putting your neck on the line. If its a question as to why it's posted in this "dark" category I wouldn't know--it was posted on here before my time.

In other news, I didn't get to finish the next chapter before my vacation. So there will be no post to ring in the New Year. I will be taking a notebook on my trip so hopefully there will be a new chapter a day or two after I come back.
    :)

16. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

I have a question Fayr. Are you going to continue Reign of Power or do we need to consider it abandoned? If this has already been discussed someone I didnt see it and was just wondering.

17. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

GAH!

Look, I like this story, I really do. I would give it a 4/5, or maybe even 5/5. Except for one thing. The whole fucking:

"Shiva help her..."

“Don’t mind him Hermione; Harry here’s a one of a kind—thank Shiva for small favors.” Padma assured. “So what sort of mischief did you two get up to?”

:wall:

No. I have never heard a Hindu ever say that. Hindu's are not like Christians, contrary to popular belief. I know, it's hard to believe, but they really aren't. They do not use the gods names in that fashion like Christians say, "God!" Hindu's don't say, "Shiva!"

And I'm guessing any Indian born and raised in England, as I believe the Patil twins were, would ever say that. For fucks sake, I've lived in India for the past 5 months (and it fucking sucks), and I haven't heard a single one ever say something remotely similar. Geh. You have no idea how fucking irritating it is. Hint of advice: if you don't know anything about a culture/religion or it's traditions, either do some research, or just don't mention it at all. In the case of the Patil twins, there was no reason to even put it in there. I mean, what was the point of it? Showing off your considerable knowledge of Indian culture?

/rant

Now that that's finished...I liked the story, it was well written and had a decent plot. Just...please...change the whole Shiva thing.

18. Klael

Klael Headmaster DLP Supporter

I agree with Sree. It made me cringe; I've hung around a few Indians myself, never heard it. If 'Oh my God' weren't a pop culture referrence (which it really shouldn't be), then just blurting out His name in vain in such a way would be found to be in poor taste, to say the least.

19. fantasyfreak

fantasyfreak Fifth Year

Yeah the Shiva thing is a pain in the but I also used to know and still email a foriegn exchange student from India in my old High School he never said anything like that the whole time I have known him

20. Solcry

Solcry First Year

Er, I'm actually Indian myself and, truthfully, I really don't care. Its true that we would never actually say it out like that (as we're a tiiny bit more respectful to our god) so its not quite accurate - but honestly, we don't care. Its not really something to make a fuss about..