1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

City of Sin by Misty Rain of Jiangnan

Discussion in 'Other Fandoms Review Board' started by BTT, Jul 6, 2020.

1. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Title: City of Sin
    Author: Misty Rain of Jiangnan / 烟雨江南
    Rating: R
    Fandom: Original
    Genre: D&D-ish webfiction
    Library Category: General
    Pairings: Harem
    Summary:
    Every drop of this family bloodline is stained with sin. They are the embodiment of contradiction; calm yet maniacal, with great memories yet often forgetful. They pledge themselves to their dreams yet often compromise, are angels that are also devils… It’s why I hate them.

And also love them.

The only hope of his family, a youth with the blood of elves and demons walks on a battleground of annihilation and rebirth. He wills his way through boiling lava and icy depths, making a killing on this field of despair to strike down the lofty figure in his sight. One day he’ll grasp his blade tightly and survey his surroundings, only to find no more enemies to kill.

Review:
    I think it's worth stating, just to be entirely clear, that this webnovel was originally written in Chinese (by a Chinese, as far as I can tell) but has a Western setting. In fact the setting is pretty much D&D with some minor changes, such as the world being separated into planes which are basically just "dimensions" or "worlds" here or whatever.

Still, you can tell the author also wrote xianxia. There's random Dukes and their offspring popping up to posture arrogantly at the protagonist only to get smacked down, there are tiers that the protagonist transcends more and more as he grows stronger, there's Laws which are the foundation of absolutely everything. Homophobia is present, but a transwoman is treated with surprising decency somehow. Sex (of which there is a lot) is never tender and loving, one party is always trying to rape or "defeat" the other. The MC is separated from one of his girlfriends for the longest time because of Reasons, which is a cliche I've never gotten the point of.

But all in all it's good stuff, a sort of reverse Cradle series (which is Chinese fantasy written by a Westerner). It's worth reading if you like big battle scenes between armies, a protagonist who unlike most suffers the occasional defeat, and time-wasters.