1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Classic Fics

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Jackarall, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Jackarall

Jackarall Guest

Having just been reading the Pet Peeves thread, and people discussing how IceQueen!Daphne first came about, I was wondering if a list of 'classic' fics from the HP fandom exist? That is, fics that set trends (say, the very first Azkaban!Harry fic, whatever that is) and the like. Perspicacity mentioned Jeconais and S'TarKan having 'probably started more tropes than anyone' and while I've read most of their stuff I was wondering if anybody (especially who were into fanfiction long before I was) has a list somewhere of fics that were 'revolutionary' for when they were written. Even if they are probably shit by current standards - a history of HP fanfiction, as it were.

A quick search of the site couldn't find anything similar to this, but if it already exists just point me in the right direction.

2. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Power of time by Rosswrock - The allmighty indie!Harry trope, the Trunk, Timeturner training.. etc.

Summer of Change by lorddwar - Still one of the 'best' Honks, and I think he started it. Also Unspeakable!Harry

Can't remember more of the top of my head...

3. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  4. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Besides Ross, the other founding father of Indy!Harry is Full Pensieve with his Year of Rebellion, started around the same time.

Cygnus Crux's Existence After Life series, begun back in 2002, was one of the first 'epic' expansions of the HP universe.

Ruskbyte's stuff also deserves a metnion. Stories like Order of the Phoenix and Flying without a Broom.

Joe's Hero trilogy also dates back to the early days of the fandom (it was posted on Fictionallley back in 2003).

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  5. Jackarall

Jackarall Guest

Thanks for all the suggestions, this should keep me occupied for a fair while at least.

6. RossWrock

RossWrock Squib

Barb's stories are what started it all off for me. I didn't even know fanfiction was a thing till I did an internet search for "leaked Harry Potter books" and the first Psychic Serpent came up. I think I read the first chapter or two before I realized it wasn't JKR, but a fan-made adaptation. Still didn't prevent me from reading it though. Back then I didn't even know where to find fanfic, or how to read it. I actually went to a Kinkos and paid to print up her entire first story, and had it bound like a book.

7. dudeler

dudeler High Inquisitor

High Score:
    I swear you are a serial thread necromancer