1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Coiling Dragon by I eat Tomatoes - M - Original fiction

Discussion in 'Original Fiction' started by Bramastra, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Bramastra

Bramastra Groundskeeper

Title: Coiling Dragon/Panlong
    Author: I Eat Tomatoes
    Genre: Adventure/Action
    Summary: Linely Baruch is a young six year old boy in the Yulan Continent who hopes to become a great Warrior or Magus of the Saint Rank, an encounter with one of the supreme experts of his world leads him to the Coiling Dragon Ring, a supreme artifact.

Link: http://www.wuxiaworld.com/cdindex-html/

Coiling Dragon has been on my mind for a very long time ever since it was reccomended in the Other Fandoms Almost Recc'd thread, and I have to say it is an interesting read filled with great characters and very story driven. The only problems that I have with it come in the way the grammar is structured but considering it is a Chinese translation that can be understood, and the sometimes big jumps in strength from the main character. Otherwise it is a great read.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2015
  2. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

Is this original fiction? I thought it was a published series, just in China.

3. DvorakQ

DvorakQ Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Its a webnovel published in china. OP just linked to the fansub/translation group.

4. invinoveri

invinoveri Third Year

Coiling Dragon is pretty cool. Stellar Transformations (by the same author) is also good.

5. Betosa

Betosa Third Year

Desolate Era by the same author is even better.

6. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

I like Coiling Dragon a lot and follow it as soon as it updates. Since it updates so fast, I haven't bothered reading the chinese version of it like I have with Stellar Transformation and Desolate Era.

Still, while it's fun to read, I'd wouldn't call it some great masterwork story. It gives almost a DBZ vibe where the MC keeps getting stronger and stronger while new baddies come out to fight him. Still, there's a reason why this genre is successful, and it definitely does well to be at the top of this type of story.

7. Bramastra

Bramastra Groundskeeper

quoted for truth

8. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I just read the fuck out of the entire archive of this over four days.

Definitely going going to be following from this point onwards. Right up there with Ryuugi's TGWP for my fix of Superb Daily Fantasy.

The sentence structure and style is certainly different from Western writing, but I found that it was easy to overlook and instead just let myself sink into the world being woven throughout the course of the story. I absolutely adore quite a few of the concepts, like the fact that you don't have to be a Perfect Paragon to be a Good Guy.

4.5/5 Rounded down because sometimes it drags a bit here and there.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  9. Bramastra

Bramastra Groundskeeper

Early CD is pretty run of the mill until you get to the Necropolis of the Gods Arc, then shit gets amazing.

10. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ah... this is actually pretty amazing.

I got completely hooked. I pulled an all nighter and I've been reading this thing 24 hours straight. I love it when something enthralls me this much. And it's such a long novel too! I'm not even finished yet.

So the English translation is probably the best I've read when it comes to visual novels, webnovels, that kinda stuff from Asia. Yeah, it suffers from the Asian sentence structure, and the Chinese honorfics or whatever they are translate horribly, and the style uses certain words and phrases way too often, it's almost professional level. Pretty amazing feat, actually. Though considering the amount of donations this thing is pulling, maybe I shouldn't be so surprised.

I like the main character. The further the story goes on, the better he becomes.

I can definitely appreciate the deep, rich history and world of ancient Chinese martial arts, harmony, transcendence and stuff like that.

Though like already mentioned, the constantly escalating power levels of everything was a bit annoying. And the main character has the luck of a legendary hero in a story to survive all the crap he's gotten into.

The... Alice? sideplot was also pretty terrible imo. And speaking of women in the series, it seems like everybody is trying to seduce or rape everyone who might be important to Linley.

For a long, long time in the series it was like Linley wasn't allowed any marital happiness. That was a bit frustrating too,

But yeah. I've been awake for too long and reading this thing non stop has influenced my writing and thought patterns, but I had to chime in that this is a fantastic story.

Edit: 30 hours, lol. And the DBZ power levels keep increasing. I guess it works fine when you read it slowly over time as books, in a marathon it's kinda clumsy and forced.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  11. Bramastra

Bramastra Groundskeeper

Apparently CD is a prequel to Stellar Transformations

12. thejabber27

thejabber27 Groundskeeper

Yeah the seduce/rape Women are useless unless they have martial power is a really common trope in XiaXian (immortal warrior) stories. By really common I mean there's less dumbledore and ron bashing in the harry potter fanfic world.

13. Clerith

High Score:
    Finished this. Can't believe I pulled a second all-nighter in a row.

I do have to make a correction to my earlier post: the translation is excellent for a Chinese webnovel, but it's not even close to superbly translated visual novels like F/SN and Tsukihime. But it's certainly good enough.

So, the power level thing actually got reasonable in the later parts of the story. Or maybe I just got used to it. However, practically everybody constantly plotting against Linley got tiresome pretty fast. There are brief, peaceful training timeskips, but for the main arcs, he absolutely must have somebody plotting against him, trying to ruin him, and we have to see this villain's point of view and read his asinine plots and thoughts. Again, probably better when read book by book.

I have to say, perhaps the most interesting thing about the entire story is how despire being thousands or even millions of years old, ascended gods, they are still just as foolish as normal humans. You'd think that a hundred thousand years of training would give you some maturity, but instead, throw some insults and everybody goes berserk. People weave simple plots, and just generally act like a bunch of normal people would in warring times. Another common trope or accepted fact in these 'XiaXian' stories? Despite all their power, their intelligence and maturity is only human?

Though, the attitude the powerful have against weaker and normal people is pretty interesting and refreshing.

Another thing that I noticed is that the wife stayed forever passive in the background, always a passive, supportive presence. A damsel in distress who's a perfect 'housewife', supporting her husband. In fact, I don't recall there being a single memorable 'strong' female character. Not criticising, just noting. Another common trope, I suppose.

But yeah, this is definitely worth reading. Massive, entertaining, and made me interested in this type of genre. The world and power system is absolutely fascinating for someone who doesn't know much about Chinese legends. I certainly feel inspired by this story.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  14. Bramastra

Bramastra Groundskeeper

Martial God Asura is the worst of those.

15. Caledfwlch

Caledfwlch Sixth Year DLP Supporter

I'm willing to bet money that somehow Linley fuses all four of his divine clones together.

16. Bramastra

Bramastra Groundskeeper

how much money do you want. Not exactly that but the outcome is basically the same.

17. Caledfwlch

? I'm up to date with the chapter releases and I haven't seen any mention of it.

18. Bramastra

Bramastra Groundskeeper

Raws, the series finishes next book it might be the first Xianxia translation to be finished.

19. Clerith

High Score:
    I read up the timeline on the wiki and accidentally spoiled myself with what few major things happens to Linley in the end. Want spoilers? Don't recommend them, though.

He indeed ends up with a four-way soul fusion, like Oliver's light and dark. Not sure what it does for his clones, though. And he becomes a Sovereign, and a special one at that.

Also, wasn't it 21 books? We're currently on book 19.

20. Caledfwlch

I'll pass on the spoilers, if it's this close to the end.

Two questions, though:

Does Linley ever confront the entity the Radiant Church sacrificed his mother to? And does he ever gain a third magical companion? If so, is it the athemyst creature he met at the mountain?