1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Computer Building Things!

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Ched, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Das keyboards I have also heard about as being awesome. Good link and looks like solid keyboards, though slightly pricy for my budget.

From what I've heard in the last couple of days the best bet for a cheap mechanical is buying a Model M off of eBay or finding an ABS M1 somewhere (they apparently sold in the $30-50 range for a while).

The best way I've heard of to set up hot keys for media without a keyboard meant for it is to use AutoHotKey.

I'd also be happy with a Scissor-switch type instead of mechanical (this is what is used on Thinkpad Laptop keyboards and a few others, for example) but most of these for desktops are of the ultra-slim variety.

If I haven't found anything by the time I'm building this desktop, I'll probably pick up a LITE-ON to use in the meantime and just keep an eye out for nicer keyboard options until I find one.

As for the Processor/Mobo issue I'm waiting til around Feb. 5th to decide -- apparently Newegg will have a bunch of Combos up around then and I can either pick up something cheaper or decide to wait it out.

2. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Next time I build a new computer, I will get that Das Keyboard Ultimate. Just to laugh at all the people in my family who can't touch type who try to use it.

Militis: pckeyboard.com is by Unicomp who sells the current Model M keyboards. Reliable enough, I think. :p

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  3. Ched

Alright, bumping this thread again since it's been pretty helpful so far.

As most of you know, Intel screwed up the launch of their new CPUs by having some issues with the chipsets. That's getting fixed but sources say that the fixed motherboards aren't going to be available til around May, April at the earliest. Similarly AMD's new contender, Bulldozer, isn't showing up til summer either. That's a bit too long for me to wait.

It irks me greatly that I can't have what I wanted so I changed my plans almost entirely. Instead of trying to buy a CPU/Mobo that I can use for 3-5 years while only upgrading a few parts here and there (like the GPU) I'm just going to back down all the way and build a computer that I intend to give my parents in 1-2 years.

I'm not willing to take a performance hit from my original build unless I'm getting a nice bit of savings as well so I'm trying to be as cost-conscious as possible now while still getting quality parts.

Proposed build:

$239 -- Phenom II x4 965 & Mobo Combo
    $180 -- Gigabyte Radeon 6850
    $47 -- G.Skill Ripjaws 4GB 1333 DDR3 RAM
    $65 -- Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
    $90 -- Corsair 650W PSU
    $60 -- HAF 912 case
    $23 -- DVD Burner

Total: $704 +shipping

I have a Dell U2211h monitor (1920x1080) and I will be picking up some new speakers, a keyboard, a mousepad, etc. as peripherals but those aren't part of the "build" so to speak, so not listing here. I'm thinking around $20 for speakers, $20 for a keyboard (I found some scissor-switch ones by Rosewill that look decent), and a cheap but high quality mousepad to round this out to $750 or so.

I also want to make sure that this is not just an upgrade but a significant upgrade for my parents from what they currently have. Their current computer, a Dell purchased mid-2007, has an Athlon 64 x2 4000+, 2GB DDR2 RAM, and a 256MB ATI Radeon X1300 Pro. I think it will be great for them, but how can I add a modem for dial-up?

Any comments/suggestions on the new build are welcome. I want to keep the cost to $750 or so not including peripherals and shipping, but obviously the lower the better. I'm happy to make a few minor changes for the sake of performance and quality though.

Thanks again

4. coleam

coleam Death Eater

Looks solid. I have a couple comments though.

1. No point getting the Phenom 965 unless you have a fear of overclocking; it's just a Phenom 955 with the multiplier bumped up by 1. You can easily do this yourself without any risk to your system (you can get it to a 975 or even higher pretty easily as well). However, if you clock it much higher than a 965/75 you'll definitely want an aftermarket heatsink.

2. You can save a couple bucks on the DVD burner. This Sony drive keeps Lightscribe support and has free shipping to boot for $19.

3. If you're planning on giving the system to your parents in a couple years, make sure they like the case (unless you plan to re-use the case when you build a new system). The HAFs are a bit industrial-looking for some peoples' taste. If they don't like it, the Antec 300 is a nice, understated option.

4. Don't forget the OS. You didn't say whether you had it yet or not, so just a reminder.

5. Ched

I saw that reading around, but the 965 came out to be $10 cheaper with the combo deal I bought (and the same deal was not available in 955 form). Or I think so anyway -- but even if not I have no intention of overclocking (it does scare me somewhat), but perhaps I should learn.

I was sure to ask them this but I almost forgot -- thanks for the reminder! They said it would be fine and didn't really care what it looked like so long as it would fit in the place they wanted to put the tower (and it will).

I think I have that sorted -- got a copy of Windows Ultimate 64bit via my mom (who teaches computer classes at a college), thanks again though -- forgetting this would really suck.

As for the rest, well, I ordered it this week and parts of it have already arrived.

This seems like a good time to say that I'll definitely post some pics DvorakQ! Thanks for the reminder on that. I am getting excited ;)

Oh, and total cost was $732 or so shipped. :awesome

6. coleam

coleam Death Eater

Overclocking the AMD Black Edition processors is pretty easy, but if you don't feel comfortable doing it, it's not necessary. If you do decide to, there are plenty of guides to the process floating around the internet; just find one that uses your specific motherboard since every BIOS is different. You'll also want to get an aftermarket heatsink for all but the very lowest overclocks. You can get a good one (Cooler Master Hyper 212+ or Scythe Mugen/SMG) for around $30.

Good luck on the build; let us know how it turns out.

7. Ched

Computer ;)

Well I got it put together on Friday night and got it to turn on. Then I installed Windows and went to bed. Installed a few more drivers and other things yesterday, but was gone most of the day, and now here we are on Sunday and it seems to be running pretty solid.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know I didn't do as good a job of cable management as I could have, but trust me this looks a hell of a lot better than it did before I re-organized things a bit.

Running Windows 7 64bit Ultimate ^^

Final Parts (3 Combos from Newegg helped with cost)

• AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE
    • Asus AM3 870 Mobo
    • Radeon 6850
    • Corsair 650TX PSU
    • 8 GB G.Skill RAM 1333
    • 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
    • Lite-ON DVD Burner
    • Rosewill Modem
    • HAF 912 case
    Other things I picked up that I didn't include in the actual build are a Dell U2211h monitor I got as a present, a Rosewill RK-7300 keyboard, a basic Microsoft mouse, a Steelseries mousepad, and a pair of used MAudio MV40 speakers.

I can't wait to finish getting everything installed and running properly. Right now I'm being extremely careful about making sure that nothing is starting on start-up or installing extra shit or anything like that to slow me down.

Here's a question: What programs do you all consider overly useful and absolutely worth having? I'm not speaking in terms of "this is really neat" programs so much as things that help you assure the health of your system. Right now I'm installing CCleaner, MalwareBytes, CPU-z, & updated drivers. I haven't picked an Anti-Virus yet, and I'm wondering if I need to be better able to monitor my CPU temp and Hard Drive health, or make sure my RAM is running at the right speed, etc. Also wondering if there is something that can tell me when anything is running in the background or at start-up so I can stop it -- have always had problems with things sneaking in and slowing the computer down that way.

Thanks for all your help DLP!

8. coleam

coleam Death Eater

Looks smexy.

My essential programs are:
    Avast Antivirus (best free AV program imo)
    CCleaner
    Spybot
    7zip for all those compressed files Windows Explorer doesn't recognize (everything but .zip)
    Adobe Reader
    Browser of your choice
    Winamp
    IRC client of your choice
    Gimp
    Speedfan (my temperature monitoring program of choice)

Some of these are based on interest (i.e. if you play all your music through your mp3 player, then winamp isn't needed), but they're what I always install when I reformat or set up a new computer.

*Edit* oh, and to get rid of background processes, I usually just use task manager. If you go to the processes tab, you can stop pretty much anything. There are programs that will let you go deeper, but usually those are for finding specific causes of a crash or performance drop or for digging up deeply rooted viruses/trojans/malware/spyware. For normal use, task manager will suffice.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  9. Mustaine

Mustaine Second Year

There's this program, Anvir Task Manager, which lets you do that, as well as monitor your CPU usage, download/upload speed, RAM usage and hard drive. There's a freeware version, a 'normal' version and a 'pro' version, but you have to pay $30 and $50 to use the last two (although you can download them and use them 20 days for free). I'm currently in the last two days of the pro version trial and I'll download the freeware version, that is somewhat more limited but still useful.

Anyway, the page I linked will explain it better than me.

10. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

I couldn't live without f.lux and and iTunesControl. <.<

11. Finicky

Finicky First Year

To change programs running at start-up, go to the search in the start menu and look for "run". Open run and run "msconfig". One of the tabs should be startup programs. You can uncheck the stuff you don't want (although some programs are pesky and put themselves back in there when you update them (adobe)).

12. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

Damn, every time I see something like this, I wish I had better skills at cable management. :<

The inside of my computer is a fucking mess. :S
    [​IMG]
    My phone takes terribad pictures...Holy crap.

Also, what do you do about a fan that has pretty much stopped spinning? Time to get a new one, or...? (I've tried using a can of compressed air to blow the dust off of it, no dice.)

13. Nukular Winter

Nukular Winter The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Fixed. If you're running W7 or Vista it's free and works like a champ.

Also seconding:
    And:

Firefox/Chrome
    Vuze
    Daemon Tools
    Codec Pack of your choice
    PuTTY

14. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

No need for this if you use VLC. (Unless you need it to do your own encoding...?)

15. Ched

Nice responses on programs from everyone!

I'm debating between Avast! & MSE for Anti-Virus protection. I've always used Avast! but their Boot-Time Scan (which cinched it for me in the past) isn't compatible with 64-bit systems as far as I know, so I'm tempted to go with MSE.

7zip is a good suggestion. I already have 1-2 .rar files that I need to get a program to open. I'll go with your suggestion for a catch-all program. I think I've used it before and liked it even.

Gimp! I love that program. I had completely forgotten.

Music player I'll probably use iTunes again if only because I have a damned iPod (it was free). Unless there's a way to manage my music on the thing without resorting to iTunes.

Speedfan -- I shall check this out, thanks.

As far as background processes I wasn't looking for a way to stop them so much as a way to keep them from ever starting -- one old computer I used had so many things scheduled to run at start-up that it took half a day to get the computer up and running.

Dunno what f.lux and iTunescontrol are, but those are now on my list of things to look at.

Finicky answered the question about start-up.

Vuse, Daemon tools, and PuTTy... ok, will look those up also.

VLC media player is a champ -- good to know someone else suggests it. It's been one of my favorites for a while also but I always worry I'm missing out on something better, so thanks!

I don't have enough thumbs-up for you all. Thanks again DLP.

16. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

f.lux adjusts your mintors temperature depending on the time of day and the likely ambient light in the room at that time to reduce eye strain. Looks a bit weird at first but once you get used to it it's amazing. iTunesControl lets you control music playback and the like with global keyboard shortcuts. For example, if I want to skip a song I hit ctrl+alt+right, or to go back one I hit ctrl+alt+back.

EDIT: Vuse/Azureus is a bittorrent client; Daemon tools is a virtual CD/DVD drive, used to mount disk images; PuTTy is a telnet/ssh client. I'm not sure if you'll ever need to use it.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  17. se7en

se7en Professor

I am more of a fan of HWMonitor > Speedfan.

18. Nukular Winter

Nukular Winter The Chosen One DLP Supporter

I thought she was asking what *my* essential programs were...

19. Ched

I was asking what everyones essential programs were -- yours included Nukular -- but with an emphasis on things that everyone should have in your opinions.

I got some great answers and input ;) Thanks everyone

20. Lokesin

Lokesin Slug Club Member

Hm. Well, since things seem to be wrapped up rather nicely there, and this is on the top of the page, would anyone mind double-checking a parts list for compatibility issues and the like? I'm planning on building a new computer, but it's been a few years since I was really into parts and wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something important.

A fair number of these parts are from the guide posted in the first page.

Case: HAF X Cooler Master
    Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X58
    PSU: CORSAIR AX850
    Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 850
    Processor: Intel i7-950
    RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 DDR3 2x4GB Sticks
    SSD: Intel X25-M 120GB
    CD/DVD Drive: Yoinked from earlier in the thread because I almost forgot it

I didn't add a standard hard drive because 120GB is well enough for everything I need, and I have an external drive for long-term storage.

Any thoughts, advice, or general lamentations of idiocy?