1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Courage and Cunning by preciousann - T

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by Ghosthree3, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Ghosthree3

Ghosthree3 Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Title: Courage and Cunning
    Author: preciousann
    Rating: T
    Genre: Adventure/Humor
    Pairing: None
    Chapters: 53
    Words: 381,438
    Updated: 3 March, 2015
    Published: 27 June, 2014
    Summary: Salazar Slytherin has had enough of Dumbledore and Voldemort's stupidity, so on October 31, 1981 he decides to put a stop to the wizarding war. Things do not go according to plan. He loses his memories, but 10 years later he regains them when he gets a familiar letter. BASH! Some Weasleys & manipulative Dumbledore! Salazar is NOT a Superhero! A twist to the Harry is Salazar genre.

Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10487644/1/Courage-and-Cunning

Just found this story yesterday and read it all in one go. I honestly didn't think I would like it and thought I would drop it quite quickly, however that was clearly not the case. I didn't know "Harry is Salazar" was actually a genre so this is the first story I have actually read that uses the idea and it does it really well. To me it was a very original idea that has been executed quite well so far and, based on the publish date, is getting updated very quickly which I am very happy about.

Overall the plot is very good and there's really not much about it that I want to complain about. There were times where I feared the story was going to fall into the trap of creating obviously forced conflict that made no sense. However the part of the story that made me feel that way was explained in a way that made sense.

At first I was quite uneasy about the increasing number of people learning 'the secret' however as of the last few chapters I can see why the author went in that direction and am glad that they did. The story's scope slowly expanded to a point where it seems we could get a pretty good war involving much of Wizarding Britain and it seems to have been set up in a way that allows it to be quite a lengthy and punishing one.

I've enjoyed the characterisation of pretty much everyone so far, Dumbledore is not one of them but as of the last few chapters I am satisfied with him. He's rarely done right anyway so it doesn't bother me as much as it should. I do like how much the author has emphasised how human Salazar really is and has him make mistakes at a fairly decent rate. He is not a god and cannot handle everything on his own.

Based on how things have been set up I hope there's quite a way to go yet until the ending and it certainly seems that it will end up that way. But it wouldn't be the first time I've seen a story drawn to a close suddenly.

4/5 from me so far, definitely recommended unless you have a problem with one of the major ideas of the story.

PS. Writing reviews is really hard :(

2. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

I only skimmed through the first chapter because the dialogue looked extremely lifeless and the summary sounded pretty bad (and I hate fics where Harry goes by a different name, but that's fairly superficial). However, I had to comment on this part of the summary - there is a 'Harry is Salazar Slytherin' genre? Seriously, an entire genre? I'm not even mad, that's hilarious.

3. Ghosthree3

Yeah I didn't realise either.

To be honest I skipped the first chapter a bit. I generally dislike prologue chapters so I just get the gist of what is going on then move on. It's worth it once you get past that though.

4. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

I have this rule that any story which has attribute X in the title does never display attribute X in the story.

Which is to say, how "cunning" is Harryzar?

5. Ghosthree3

Not excessively, I cannot say for sure as I was not reading it with the title in mind. I don't think he's exceptionally cunning.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  6. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Professor

Ok, I had nothing better to do, so I skimmed through the first ten chapters, but I didn't really see it getting any better than the first and decided to stop.

The premise is interesting, but neither the plot nor the characterization of Harry/Salazar is convincing. Dumbledore seems to be an idiot, and Harry seems to be a typical bashing fic hero. Harry doesn't feel like a centuries old man in a kid's body at all. If he was Barnabas the Barmy, it would perhaps have been convincing, but not so for Salazar Slytherin.

I'd give it a 2/5 at most.

7. Bramastra

Bramastra Groundskeeper

this is a joke right?
    Edit
    Also can I make this:
    my sig.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  8. Ghosthree3

Fair enough, I agree that Salazar could be much better and sometimes I cringe a little when he does things that seem a bit silly and immature for one his age. I guess I was just more tolerant of it as for the most part I enjoy the rest of the story. The main reason I really enjoyed this is because of the original - to me - plot. I have not come across it before and thought it was quite neat.

Ha, I didn't even realise that was in the summary, whoops. There's not much Weasley bashing, there is a bit but it passes, same goes for Dumbledore but it lasts a little longer. It's hardly bashing as I would normally call it though.

9. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Professor

Typical bashing Dumbledore, who comes of as both idiotic and deluded more than actually cunning and/or evil.

---------- Post automerged at 00:29 ---------- Previous post was at 00:27 ----------

I will give you that the plot is somewhat unique, but the Dumbledore and Salazar characterizations were a big no-no for me

10. Ghosthree3

I would have posted this in the Almost Recommended thread as I can see why people could dislike it, unfortunately we don't have that any more so it was either this or not share something I thought was a pretty good read.

Yeah I can agree on Dumbledore, very much so. Salazar could be better but overall I am satisfied with him, he is an OC after all so there are no real expectations. Or not many.

11. Bramastra

Bramastra Groundskeeper

First off this:
    why in the fuck would they know what he looks like, I know Wizarding paintings and all but come on. Also is it ever going to be explained why he's alive 1/5 for me

12. Ghosthree3

Yeah usually that information is given in the first few paragraphs. I mean I know that everyone has their own opinion and all but giving it a 1/5 before you've read past the first chapter is a bit sudden don't you think?

13. Bramastra

Bramastra Groundskeeper

You're right I'm being a bit unfair I'll try to read again

Edit

Nope 1/5