1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Creating & Managing a Professional Website

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Ched, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Long story short: My dad and I are starting a small business. It will not be a big business and will be more something that we do on the side (he's retired and I will have another full-time job). I am planning to make and maintain a website for it. I do not (yet) know how to do this but am confident of my ability to learn. I have several initial questions.

I am planning to use WordPress to make the site. It is my current understanding that WordPress.org is the Website Builder and WordPress.com is the free Blog thing. Is that correct? I have also heard that many websites made with WordPress look like blogs anyway, but that with a little effort (how much is a "little"?) it does not have to. I do not want a website that looks like a blog -- is that possible with WordPress and a little effort?

The reason I chose WordPress is because I do not know Java or HTML and I think it might be easier for me to learn software than to learn programming.

I am choosing to do this myself because I think it might be a useful skill to put on a job application or something at one point -- creation and maintenance of a professional website, etc. I have also heard that many famous sites use WordPress, so I thought it might be the most widely recognizable/used software for this sort of thing.

Is there something other than WordPress that I should use instead?

I know that there are several free options available to me -- Weebly immediately comes to mind as a fairly simple and free way of having a website. It just seems to me that it lacks customization ability and it's obvious to anyone who visits it that it was free. What's the best reason to use something that isn't free? Or am I kidding myself and the free options are almost as good?

I will need to purchase a domain name. The one I want is available for 12.99 at GoDaddy -- is that per year? It doesn't say. Is GoDaddy the best place to purchase this?

I need hosting. I've been told that SoftLayer is the best, but apparently I can't navigate their website for crap because I can't find anything resembling a reasonable price and I'm not even sure what half the things they are selling *are* anyway.

I've also been told that BlueHost is good, but it is at least $5 per month and I was hoping for something more along the lines of $25 per year. I'm wary of free hosting.

What do you guys suggest for hosting? Legit is more important than cheap, but I'm not willing to pay that much.

What does buying hosting do for you that free hosting doesn't? Are there any legal considerations? Other considerations? Remember this is for a business and not a personal site of some kind.

Are there any specific things I need to do with regards to registering or getting it to show up better when using a search engine?

Anything else that I need to know? I consider myself reasonably computer savvy but I know very little about programming or the inner workings of the internet.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  2. Constans

Constans Sixth Year DLP Supporter

Already said it on IRC, but still - if you don't want to customize much and are using HTML/WordPress then ThemeForest is your friend.

3. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Arvixe is a great host. I've been using it for two years and have not had a single problem. It is only 4 dollars a month, plus it has excellent support. Your first domain is free, so you don't have to pay anything to get the website name you want. You will not have to deal with ANY ads (which all free hosting will have). I suggest buying your own site because no professional site should have ads and because once you buy it, you own that portion of the web and can do almost anything.

4. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

A Small Orange is pretty good for hosting. I've hosted several high-traffic WP blogs on their "Tiny" shared hosting package ($35/yr) with no trouble. They have excellent tech support, too. My mom uses HostGator for her WP site - they're not nearly as good a service, IMO, but she likes them.

GoDaddy on the other hand is an awful company no matter how you look at it. I use Namecheap myself.

5. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

You might also look into Joomla if you dont want to use WP. Its fairly diverse with what it offers and what you can do with it. Joomla's a bit more advanced I think, but still awesome.

Also: If you intend to do the theme/appearance image yourself, I'd recommend looking into Artiseer or Xara Web Design

6. Speakers

Speakers Backtraced

Choose whichever paid host from the above suggestions or any with good reviews (I use stablehost). You should definitely pay the $5/mo charge. Don't skimp out on this. All these websites provide a control panel where installing word press or other software (content management stuff like Joomla) is painfully easy. You click a button, give a path and boom. It's done. All the configuration stuff is done through the software, no coding required.

Wordpress should not really be used for anything other than blogs. You are better off using a content management software like Joomla, Zikula, Drupal, etc. Since they're all open source, most of these paid hosting options will provide you with one-click install for them.

The only option you have for <$25 dollars a year of really good hosting and if you were using static web pages would be hosting your website on Amazon S3 but that's for more tech savvy people so I won't bother you with the details.

Here's what Stablehost provides in terms of Portal/CMS stuff I can install (Most of them). Note: most other hosting options should provide something similar as well.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  7. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Mostly this. That's not entirely true, of course, since WP does have plugins available to set up shopping carts for only transactions and what not. It is marketed as a blog, though.

Where as Joomla is pretty much an open slate. You can set up blogs with it, podcasts, video streaming, or (as in your case), web-stores. And, as said before, its got a fairly wide range of plugins that are fairly simple to install, setup, and run. Joomla, in its self, is free, but there are also a lot of devs that charge for plugins for it too, for one reason or another.

Either, with whatever you decide you're gonna run it on, you're gonna wanna make sure whatever host you pick up has all of it's (joomla in this example) requirements. Just about all of them will have something close to it, so do make sure you verify version numbers from host to desired software. PHP 5.3 can run anything 5.2.4 can run, but not the other way round.

8. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I'll second this. Stay the heck away from GoDaddy. They're notoriously bad.

9. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    I use Wordpress and pay $18 p/year for domain name. I like how simple it is, while still having room to include multiple tabs and, at some point in the future, a store:

www.joeducie.net

10. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that if you plan on doing any sales online, there are extra fees to be able to handle credit cards and a dedicated SSL cert.

11. Castiel

Castiel Headmaster

Third.

Namecheap.com and Name.com are far better.

12. Ched

We won't be doing any sales online. It just needs to be a static website with information about what we do and how to contact us. I'm thinking a main page for the site, an information page on us, a contact page, and maybe one other page for details. It would be nice to have the option adding support for Paypal in the future I guess, but I can't really see us using any form of online payment.

Right now I'm looking at A Small Orange that someone linked -- $35 a year and their site looks well done (I'm always hesitant to purchase things from sites that don't look professional), though I'm not sure if they give me the ability to host more than one domain for that price. I also don't think they have as much support for Joomla, but I'm not sure. They don't seem to provide as much information as the others do on what they offer.

More robust places like Arvixe look pretty good, at 4/mo with what appears to be all the features I'd need including one free domain name. Bluehost is also doing a special for 4/mo. They both seem to offer help with Joomla/WordPress and have more than one domain for that price. But in both cases I can't just pay per month without the price going up, I have to pay for like 2 years in advance, but that seems standard in the industry.

Joomla and WordPress both look good and I'm debating which to use. Since they're free I might try both -- double thanks to folks who told me about Joomla. I heard Drupal was good too but that it had a much higher learning curve. Joomla *does* look like it's more appropriate for what I want to do though, so that's one thing to consider.

You guys are all being super helpful -- it is much appreciated. I am learning a lot and seeing various things repeated is helpful too (like I know not to bother with GoDaddy now, and most of you haven't suggested HostGator despite it supposedly having a good reputation even though its website looks stupid).

So keep it coming if you can think of anything else. :)

13. Castiel

Castiel Headmaster

Hostgator isn't "bad", its just not as good as a lot of other options out there, like the ones many have listed in this thread.

Second, if you have time and are interested, try learning some basic HTML and CSS. It is very easy. And if you need just a 4 page site it won't take you long to make one yourself. You can start with something basic and improve it as you learn more.

I have not tried it personally but I hear that this is a good place to start.

Also, while most hosts provide a 60 day money-back, if you want you should pay for just one month at the start and if you like it renew for 1 or 2 years.

14. Constans

It's probably pretty obvious but I thought to point out two things.

First, you talked about search so make *really* sure the SEO of whatever you choose is decent.

Second, make sure social sharing is easy on said platform/hosting/etc. If it's a business, it doesn't matter imo whether you think it's stupid - unless you're Cartier tweet/pin like your life depends upon it.

15. Ched

I didn't realize that the hosting provider (or domain name acquisition company) had anything to do with SEO. Ok, interesting, and thanks.

16. Constans

Yes it does in select situations. So do some pre-made themes (but my knowledge is incomplete there so I'll defer to those who know better).

Edit: Don't know how reliable it is, but here's an article talking about hosting's effects on SEO.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012