1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dark Knight Trailer and Movie Discussion

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Novamute, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Whoever voiced Batman in Justice League: The New Frontier wasn't all that bad. Kevin Conroy is the number one choice, though, when it comes to voicing Batman.

2. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

I'd say he's exactly what a nihilist would have to be for me to not consider them a mere-poser. :D

Agreed. Kevin Conroy is/was the best Batman.

3. Durden's Wrath

Durden's Wrath Second Year

QFT. He has the best mix of Bruce Wayne and Batman. Gotham Knights would have been full of fail without Kevin Conroy.

And I know Heath Ledger is getting all those accolades. But Mark Hamil is still the Joker for me. He's the right mix of funny and creepy. And was especially good in "Return of the Joker"

4. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

It's weird, because I always think of Hamil primarily as Luke Skywalker, so I wonder where he pulled his inner psycho from.

Then again, he was also Cock-Knocker...

5. Durden's Wrath

Durden's Wrath Second Year

He was hilarious as Cock-Knocker.

He played a great Joker. The laugh, and the interactions with Harley. Not to mention the fun chuckle I always had when he called himself "Your old Uncle Joker"

6. Philly Homer

Philly Homer What you call elephant cum I call mouthwash

I wasn't really annoyed by Batman's voice. His voice is meant to sound intimidating, and in most cases, when it comes to criminals, it is. It also hides his identity from those who know him. Personally, knowing those reasons I don't have a problem with it.

For those of you wondering how The Dark Knight fared at the box office, throughout the week.

The Dark Knight made plenty of money throughout the week, breaking plenty of records along the way, even without any holidays.

Monday - $24,493,313
    Tuesday - $20,868,722
    Wednesday - $18,377,288
    Thursday - $16,464,405
    Friday - $23,150,000

The total domestic gross is up to $261,765,000, in just a week. This movie legitimately has a chance to threaten Titanic, and by God I hope it can break that shit fest's record.

7. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

AWESOME movie!

The Imax wasn't all it was cracked up to be. I wound up spending 55$ to see it instead of the normal 28$ Yay for birthday money.

The China stuff was stupid, and I didn't like Fox's bitching about the sonar machine, but other then that it was awesome.

Ledger was awesome, but 90% of the folks in the audience fell out when he was dressed as the nurse, more then one Brokeback comment was made.

The Dent story line should've been omitted quite a bit. It felt really rushed to me, especially since the ending was screwy, leaving Batman the "villian". They should of done Dent's fall, but have him slip away, or have him in a coma recovering or something. It just felt quickly tossed together compared to the awesome parts from the start of the movie.

Also Philly, 7 megs is just too much for a sig. I felt bad doing 1.9 for mine, but claimed Admin rights, heh. I think it's awesome, but keep in mind we do have 56K users who'd choke on that.

8. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

The reason it's a good movie from a technical standpoint is that it didn't make the viewer dizzy. I watched from the fifth or so row towards the left (which understandably dulled the much-vaunted Imax experience somewhat), due to the huge number of people that showed me at least half an hour before the showing.

I didn't find Batman taking the fall as a villain at the end annoying. It's hard to object to that - as Alfred said, that's the whole point of the Batman, to make the right choice.

Batman's voice was very grating, but thank God no Warhorse-types were in the theater.

The trip to Hong Kong didn't strike me as wrong - it's interesting that the setting in a Batman movie extends beyond Gotham. I don't believe that happened in any of the Tim Burton films, or even the comics.

I agree with Two-Face not being quite convincing. That was the only part of the movie that felt compressed - too great a jump in too short a duration, and unless I was asleep (highly unlikely, given the movie...), neither Gordon nor Batman tried to reason with Two-Face saying how the Joker switched the locations of Harvey and Rachel. Just came off as rushed.

Ledger's acting is hideously good. I didn't think a questioning thought till an hour or so after the end, until I reconsidered the Joker essentially lacking motivation. Had the Joker been portrayed by a lesser actor the script writers would probably be lambasted, but he makes it seem so right.

Overall, there's just an unusually high concentration of good acting, in both the main and supporting roles.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  9. Lorelei of the Sea

Lorelei of the Sea Unspeakable

The whole point of the Joker is that he doesn't have motivation- everything he does is without rhyme or reason. That's part of what makes him so good.

As for the movie- unquestionably and undeniably epic. The movie had exactly everything I like about cinema- it almost felt like a noir crime flick, in spots. And Ledger's performance was every bit as fantastic as it's vaunted to be, and more. Definitely beats Nicholson's Jocker.

10. Jeez us

Jeez us First Year

I wanted to hate it, because everyone was raving about it and I thought they were just blowing Ledger since he died, but overall it was just an amazing moving and Ledgers performance truely was incredible.

11. malaga

malaga Auror

I did a little dance of joy inside when Rachel died. Movies have a bad habit of introducing love interests and keeping them, even for the characters which would be far better without them (crappy Maguire/Dunst for one) and I was thrilled they didn't here.

Also, the Joker has just beaten Houdini, Copperfield, and Blaine as most awesome magician ever.

12. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

you should keep things like Rachel dieing in a spoiler box, otherwise you spoil it for people who glance at this thread to see if they should watch it.

13. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Twas epic win on an epic scale. I thought it started off a little slow though, for the first half hour I was wondering when we were going to get to the good bits. After that though it just blew me away.

Ledger played an absolutely fantastic Joker and I found myself the laughing at the utter glee on his face when people died, which was kinda awkward cause I was the only one who did >_>. The laughing while he was getting beat up was freakishly awesome. The 'Why so serious?' bit is also my new favourite catchphrase :p.

I agree with Andromalius on the Two-Face note though, it did seem very rushed. From the point where he's burned to the end wasn't as long as it could have been. They just seemed to be trying to fit it all in to a time limit and cut out a load of extra scenes. I'll be looking forward to the Director's Cut edition DVD when it comes out because of this.

Out of movie wise - what are they going to do now that Ledger's dead and they killed off Two-Face? Will they do the Riddler again? Or one of the billion other Batman villains? I wish they hadn't killed off Two-Face though, he was my favourite villain from the old movies. Tommy Lee Jones ftw.

14. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

It was a very good movie, but I didn't like how Two-Face looked or how quickly his story was over. His appearance reminded me of the mummies from "The Mummy."

15. Dareycow

Dareycow Fifth Year

I loved this movie, Heath Ledgers role was well done. No wonder people thought he was a bit coo coo in the head if he did not get out of character when not filming (allegedly, can't trust what the media says these days.)

At the same time, I wouldn't let young kids watch it. Batmans traditionally been a children's comic, and now cartoon, but this movie isn't for young children. A little twisted at times, which I like. :)

4.5 / 5 (Would be 5 / 5 if it did not take a childrens comic and make it for adults to watch)

16. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    Nobody Likes Onions?

17. Philly Homer

The Dark Knight Returns

http://movies.ign.com/articles/936/936078p1.html

After all this time, and I'm still as excited as I ever was, and I probably will be even after I watch this on Blu-Ray. It comes out next Tuesday on Blu-Ray, by the way.

18. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

It'd rank up there as one of the best movies of all time for me, if it wasn't for the fiiler in parts stretching it to an unrealistic movie to watch more then a few times for me.

Like the LOTR movies. Loved em. Watched them once in the movies, once at home, cant be fucked to sit there for 3 hours a movie ever again, lol

19. Philly Homer

I watched it again today on Blu-Ray. If it's possible, I fell in love with this movie even more today. Something new that I noticed today was that how much of a crime epic this movie. I saw it as a crime epic before this, but today I realized to what extent it went to.

The Academy usually loves crime epics, so this increases it's chances. If the Dark Knight doesn't win the Oscar for Best Picture, I'm done with the Oscars.

20. Havoc

Havoc Seventh Year

I picked up the movie as well. Shouldn't of done that though, because I watched it right when I got home. Now I'm stuck with a five page paper due in about six hours with only two pages done.

Still, totally worth it. This is the type of movie that you could see a fourth time and still be entertained.