1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Death, In Glory by Apocolypso-33 - M

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Garret P.I., Jan 12, 2008.

1. Oujou Akaash

Oujou Akaash Unspeakable

True but look at it from there point of view. All they knew is to be bred for battle and war. And living in an era where the imagination is very narrow minded, where legends and heroes born and died, where rights and ideals are crushed, it is possible he would go bat crazy. I dunno about you but i'll give up magic in a second if there is no electricity. POWER TO THE MEDIA!!

We live in a world where open mindedness is something to be revered upon and thanks to media and whatnot, that broaden our imagination. So if you were to somehow be transported to some world, they your right. You would be curious and whatnot. But Harry comes from another era where the only thing that even resembles to the modern world is the almost equal rights of women and even then, anyone would be terrified.

And by the way Aerin, thats a really good point. I never thought of that. Something to think about on another time i suppose.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  2. Boo

Boo Auror

He wouldnt even be able to understand anyone. Harry/Leandros would be speaking Greek not English.

3. Aerin

Aerin Seventh Year

A very fair point.

You could go the Deus Ex Machina route and invent a reason, or you can BS your way through most of it.

Could go the route that Harry instinctually knows the basics of english since he grew up in an english household. Grew up to 15 months anyway. *Shrugs*

It'd be funny to watch Harry cursing violently as everyone looks on, unable to understand :D

4. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

I liked it as a 300 fic, but if we were judging it as an HP fic, it fails. 3/5 total.

5. Augurey

Augurey Backtraced

Apocalypso's advance announcement of the pairing simplifies things. It's safe for us to assume that purebloods are stuck in the late 18th century or the equivalent. British gentry and nobility of the time made sure to educate their children in the classics, including fluency in Latin and Attic Greek. This means that Andromeda Tonks, if not her daughter, would understand Harry. European History ftw once again.

6. Oujou Akaash

Oujou Akaash Unspeakable

LOL! And people tell me Guns don't work on them.

7. Augurey

Augurey Backtraced

Muskets probably don't work on them, but muskets and AK-47s are pretty different. Seriously, an aguamenti aimed at a musket will ruin the powder, preventing it from ever firing. Not so much with anything made during or since the American Civil War.

8. Aerin

Aerin Seventh Year

One thing I noticed in the fic's society is that there is no distinction between the magically-inclined and "Muggles". The magic-users aren't hidden in Sparta. Rather, they form a cohesive unit with the "Muggles".

Since we know the wizarding world began it's retreat during the Salem Witch Hunts, probably earlier, their numbers have decreased.

So the question is, how will Leandros/ Harry deal with a society in which it is hidden, as are his abilities from a world which could benefit from them.

9. Oujou Akaash

Oujou Akaash Unspeakable

I'm sorry to say the whole salem witch hunts that you mentioned is wrong. This is a fact from canon where harry was reading a book while trying to name his owl. It was there that it explained if they ever to get caught and tied to the stake, the wizards and witches can easily get out of the fire or something like that.

Besides, it's kind of ridiculous if all the wizard or witch gets caught by people wielding pitch forks and kitchen knives.

10. Methene

Methene Auror

The magical world went into hiding in the 14th century, as evidenced by the HP lexicon timeline.

I am not familiar with the Salem's Witch trials, but are they at this time?

I would think the Spanish Inquisition had more to do with the Wizard's retreating than colonists in America burning old women, if I were to take a guess.

11. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Though not officially until the 17th century, when the Statute of Secrecy was passed.

12. Gabrinth

Gabrinth Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Did you guys know that much of the witch burning occurred during the renaissance, while most believe it was a middle-ages era occurrence? Also, witches and wizards wouldn't care about the witch burnings. They probably just decided, rather randomly, to pull back from society and let magic slowly become naught but a myth.

This story was better written than most of the stories in the Library. Mods, put this fic in. 5/5

13. Augurey

Augurey Backtraced

@Methene: the Salem Witch Trials took place in 1692.

14. Garret P.I.

Garret P.I. Backtraced

Two items I'd like to address.

@ Mr INBN.
    We've not even seen how the author is planning on addressing the reintegration of the HP world. which is why I've requested that until we see how the author does this... that the fic stay here in the for review folder.

Next... moving the thread.
    I still say the fic should stay here till we know how the author is going to handle the integration of the fic with the HP world.

The fic has the potential to be either really really really bad... or quite good... depending on how it's handled.

Right now it's got a lot of votes for it... but it could turn to utter shit when it hits the intregration period.

I for one would rather take the time to make sure it's a good fic than to sully the DLP name by including crap among the worthy fics.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  15. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

I realize that, Garret. But as it stands now, the fic doesn't even qualify for the library (since it's not technically a HP fic yet). Once the author finally reintegrates the HP world, we'll see how it goes.

16. Aerin

Aerin Seventh Year

I dunno though.

Elements do bleed through which could be attributed to the HP world.

Types of spells, mentioning of wands, etc etc.

And keep in mind Leandros is still Harry, except under a different name and in a different place.

It's genesis was based in Harry Potter MrINBN.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  17. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

I realize that too. But until we see Hogwarts or any other familiar place, this is just a 300 story with Harry Potter (the character) thrown in.

18. Boo

Boo Auror

Its kinda like Founder era stories just further back in time.
    It has the whole magic world before they hid themselves. This story just give another view of the HP world.

19. Darje

Darje Groundskeeper

The mention of reintigration in most posts makes me think of Dumbledore, the prophecy, and Voldemort's disembodied soul (or new body). Being the dutiful soldier he is, Harry might just do things the way Dumbledore wants unless of course Dumbledore pulls a "messenger" and insults him with uncompatible mannerisms.

3.5/5 It has the potential to raise itself, given the proper circumstances during reintigration.

20. Garret P.I.

Garret P.I. Backtraced

Well, at least one thing we'll know for sure...

There'll be no just letting Voldemort kill him like a lemming like he did in DH. At least not without taking the bastard with him for Harry in this fic.

Personally I'm looking forward to Harry Jabbing a spear into Tom's gut, twisting it. And then as Tom raises his wand to try an AK, he "limbs" him on the spot. *lop lop* HA! thought you were going to use that on me did you? Fool... real warriors have big, thick, long spears... not little impotent twigs like you wave around, Riddle.. Auuuhooo! (yes...the imagery was intentional.)

Let Voldemort come back a dozen or more times... and each time Harry WTFPWNs him... each time more brutal than the last.

*after killing Tom's latest body, and standing with one foot on top of it and looking down at the Death eaters gathered below*
    This is all you have? You gutless boy whores! *spits on Tom's body and kicks his head toward the DE's* I've had more challenging battles with my loin pouch. Your master is nothing... NOTHING... and I'll be feasting on the livers of your sons and daughters before the night is through... AUUUHOOO! *Pumps his spear in the air and then charges the DE's who break and run... screaming like little girls.*

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008