1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Death of U.S. Theater Industry?

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Mister Ferro, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Mister Ferro

Mister Ferro High Inquisitor

Warner Bros. to Debut Entire 2021 Film Slate, Including ‘Dune’ and ‘Matrix 4,’ Both on HBO Max and In Theaters

The studio will deploy a similar release strategy for the next 12 months. In a surprising break from industry standards, Warner Bros.’ entire 2021 slate — a list of films that includes “The Matrix 4,” Denis Villeneuve’s “Dune” remake, Lin-Manuel Miranda’s musical adaptation of “In the Heights,” “Sopranos” prequel “The Many Saints of Newark” and “The Suicide Squad” — will debut both on HBO Max and in theaters on their respective release dates. The shocking move to simultaneously release movies day-and-date underscores the crisis facing movie theaters and the rising importance of streaming services in the wake of a global health crisis that’s decimated the film exhibition community.

Like “Wonder Woman 1984,” the films that Warner Bros. plans to release in 2021 will be available to HBO Max subscribers for 31 days. After the one-month mark, those movies will only play in theaters until they reach the traditional home entertainment frame. From there, people can rent through online platforms like Amazon, iTunes or Fandango. It’s unclear when the titles will return to HBO Max.

2. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    God, I hope so.

I'm sure theaters will still exist, but they don't need to be the default option for movies. Let me be an introvert.

3. Dagro

Dagro DA Member

Honestly, I haven't been in a movie theater in years, and the last time wasn't a nice experience either. The small ones I liked as a kid are all gone, only really big ones owned by big compays around here are left. They seem to be struggling too.

Personally I always liked watching something with a few friends at home, put it on pause when someone has to go to the bathroom etc. damn I am old.

4. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I love going to the cinema, but I think we're going to some significant changes to the sector following this year.

I don't know about the US, but in the last few years in the UK there's been a move towards small chains (and even individual, independently operated) premium/luxury theatres which weren't actually particularly more expensive than you're big chains but which offered less crowded theatres, bigger and comfier seats, better food and drink options etc. My guess is that that'll become more of the norm for the sector. Running on a smaller scale allows them to pitch to local tastes and to keep their prices that bit lower since they don't have to subsidise unprofitable locations the way large corporate chains do and they don't have to think about shareholder dividends.

We'll probably also see it become more affordable to get big releases into theatres. As the studios release on their preferred streaming platform simultaneously they don't need to price gouge cinemas in the same way. This won't be an overnight change, they'll probably try to have their cake and eat it at first - charge cinemas the same as previously whilst also releasing on a streaming platform. But I think a lot of small chains and independent cinemas will tell them where to go on that. Or certainly seriously limit the number of blockbusters they buy in each year. They'll focus their business model on people seeing the visit to the cinema as the experience rather than the film specifically, so that they can then lure folk in with last years hits or some older classics.

5. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Our local cinema does a blast to the past theme during summer for kids who are out of school. 5 bucks for kids under 13. 10 for over.
    Snacks are cheaper and it’s movies like Princess Bride

6. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, its exactly that sort of thing that I imagine a lot of cinemas will turn to doing. They tried it over here in the early days of the pandemic, it wasn't successful mostly because people just weren't willing to trust the cinema to be safe. Without the pandemic I think they'd get crowded out for older films. Imagine them throwing the original star wars trilogy up on May 4th and 5th. They'd get booked out easily for that type of thing.

7. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Movie tickets and snacks are way too expensive so I'm not really bothered.

I already have Netflix so streaming other things wont be an issue for me.

8. Alistair

Alistair Seventh Year

Personally I think that if new releases do start coming out on streaming services at the same time as cinemas, I'll never go to the cinema again.

I don't mind the cinema as an experience, but I've got a decent set up at home, so it's not actually any better, plus the auxillary cinema stuff like food is a fantastic rip off. The whole thing is also a bit of a hassle and I have to drive, so a film and a couple beers is out. I only ever go if it's a big film release that I'm excited about and don't want to wait for the home release to see. I guess this happens about once a year right now.

I'll happily pay cinema ticket prices for an early viewing of a film still, but given the choice I'd rather stream it at home. For the film companies this is a good move though. I'd probably watch more films on a cinema release schedule and at premium pricing if they go this route.