1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Deathly Hallows Epilogue: Expanded (Moar Details)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vengashii, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Vengashii

Vengashii Banned

Link

A few good bits for a post-DH fic in there, such as the "revolutionized" Ministry...

2. xcel

xcel Looked into the void

A bit too happy ending for me...

I'm more fond of Richard Bachman endings.

3. Atarein

Atarein Guest

Oh good, Luna did end up realizing her father's not always correct.

4. shadetz x

shadetz x Second Year

@_@ Sounds like one of those happily ever after endings. I bet she did it on purpose.

Hostile take over fanfiction anyone? :p

5. fatal

fatal Backtraced

I really liked reading that, I needed the extra details :D

6. Lucinda

Lucinda First Year

the epilogue... sigh. The epilogue.

My biggest objection to the epilogue isn't that it pairs people up in a manner reminiscent of a fourteen year old fangirl (though that is annoying), nor the way that the spawn - err, children of Harry and Gin-Gin and Ron and Hermione have been given what have become terribly over-done names (with the exception of Albus Severus. I must admit that there is no longstanding fanfic tradition that I know of for Harry to name his children after the man who sent him to a living hell in his early childhood and the teacher that tried to make his schooling similar.) It is not the dismal idea that Draco Malfoy found someone to marry him and bear his own spawn, who is predictably a carbon copy of himself at eleven. Not even the annoyingly cutesy way they all have children the same age to go to school toether and be best friends just like their parents.

It isn't even the whole Massive Happy Weasley Family/Horde.

I admit that I might have liked it better if the epilogue to the book told us what sort of career Harry had, instead of needing an interview to give that information.

No. But those are all frustrations that I have considered.

My largest frustration with the epilogue is that it doesn't match the feel of the rest of the book. (Personally, I felt like the book could have used another round of revision to improve the pacing, internal logic, and some of the scenes and dialog... But it was/is Harry Potter #7, and of course it will sell. The book was in the top ten list before it was even released.) It almost feels like a completely different author wrote the epilogue from the author who wrote the rest of the book. The style, the manner of descriptions, the... well, the everything doesn't feel like the same book as the whole earlier many-odd chapters.

sigh.

Then again, my sister-in-law told me I was being too critical of the book. My husband said when I have made a billion dollars from my writing, I can criticize JKR as much as I want and have people listen. Let's just say... I haven't made anything close to a billion dollars from writing.

7. a_wanderer

a_wanderer Squib

The epilogue felt "tacked on" somewhat like the felt tail on the paper donkey at a children's party.

As I reflect on DH I suspect she had more story than energy, time or space to tell. I prefer an honest open ending, just drop the epilogue.

NTP

8. griselda

griselda First Year

Didn't she say in another interview that Ron went to work with George at WWW? Is she just making up stuff in her interviews?

9. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

You know, I am somewhat surprised that Hedwig didn't make a return as a Phoenix.

I also wanted to the answer to the greatest question of all (at least in the last five minutes) how does a house elf reproduce, purely for intellectual purposes only... :p But alas, my attempts of clarity seems to have failed...

She can't keep up with what she says from interview to interview. It is like she has multiple A.U's floating around in her head at once.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2007
  10. Akalon

Akalon Second Year

Columbus, Ohio USA on weekends, weekdays The Void.
    I gotta admit I felt it was a bit lackluster of an ending as well. I mean she gives some info about only Harry/Ginny and their rugrats and some names here and there but damn anything else was vague as hell. I'd actually would of prefered a small year-by-year update of the main characters and what happened to them in short little sentences.

11. Setem1955

Setem1955 Card Captored and buttsecksed

The epilogue made the Weasleys seem like the Borg. (You will be assimilated!) Harry and Ginny still aren't having conversations with each other. I still can't see what the big connection is there.

And it showed me nothing had changed in the wizarding world. It's just waiting for the next Dark Lord as far as Im concerned. Slytherins are still scum, even when they are eleven year old kids getting sorted. Yes, Harry tells his son it's okay to be in Slytherin, but he also tells him how to get out of it.

The balding Draco seemed like a cheap shot to me, and it was missing a lot of information I wanted. I don't care what JKR says in her interviews. As far as I'm concerned if she wanted me to know something, she should have put it in the books. She should have mentioned Luna, Trelawney, and the Dursleys at least. And I was waiting for the train to pull out, and Hermione to slap her head and say, "Oh, damn! I forgot my parents are still in Australia!"

And I will never understand why we had a whole fricken chapter in the previous book on Hagrid's trip to see the giants if we weren't going to get any follow up on any of them, or on Madam Maxime. Couldn't Hagrid have found Grawp another way, or at least a shorter way, if that was the whole point of that?

12. Dark-Stallion

Dark-Stallion Professor

I agree, but I would take it a step further. In my opinion, HBP and DH are just completely out of style with the previous 5 books.

The Epilogue was possibly the most dissapionting thing I have ever read, and I've spent time reading the additional book 'Bringing Up Baby Dragons'.

It failed in every sense of the word 'epilogue'. From the Greek word meaning 'final speech', it was more like 'final fuck-over'. More hpdom was ruined in those pages then in the entire collection of dribble we call HBP and DH.

13. The Doctor

The Doctor Unspeakable

Thank you! Finally, someone says it. If someone had showed me HBP and DH once I'd finished OOtP way back in 2003, I would've just rolled my eyes.

The Epilogue, IMO, is just a giant "FUCK YOU" to the fans, no matter what ship you supported. Their jobs are cliche, the children are cliche, the world is cliche.

Rowling's probably pissing herself laughing that she totally fucked up the ending of her series, and that's she earning hundreds of millons doing it.

14. Splatfrog

Splatfrog Muggle

She says later that Hermione returned to finish her seventh year but Harry and Ron didn't.

15. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

16. Guest_

Guest_ Third Year

I don't think she can. She's addicted to fame.

17. Augurey

Augurey Backtraced

She's like Gilderoy Lockhart disguised as an ugly bint.

18. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

She just seems to care what the pre-teen fangirls wanted and pleased them with what she called her 'epilogue", which is total trash. The whole book was trash actually, along with HPB, even though it kept me on my seat a lot of the time. I look back on it now...and I think it could have been done a lot better.

"I don't think she can. She's addicted to fame."

She's not all that good looking either. My ex-girlfriend looks a lot better than Rowling, and my ex is fucking cute as hell!

19. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You've hit upon my theory there.

After OotP was released the Fangirl Union did not like the way the series was going, so they kidnapped JK, fed her many different drug cocktails, and endlessly read her "My Immortal" till Jk became the mental equivalent of a 14-year0old fangirl. They then released her so she could finish the series.

20. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    She may have please pre-teen fan girls, but she also gave us what we've always wanted, in a way: a competent, powerful, Harry. He seems to have come a long way since the end of DH, since he is now the head of the Auror Department. Presumably he got that far through skill, not fame.