1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dec 2017 - Story Competition

Discussion in 'The Lone 2017 Competition' started by Ched, Dec 17, 2017.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Alright guys, entries are posted. If by any chance some come in to me in the next 20 minutes before midnight my time, I will include them, otherwise we're all locked in. Please vote on the entries with this format:

Original Concept:
    Characters:
    Plot:
    Pacing:
    Setting & Atmosphere:
    Grammar & Mechanics:

Just copy/paste and use it like a ballot.

2. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    How long is voting open for?

3. Jarizok

Jarizok Auror DLP Supporter

Do we get to vote for favourite reviewer? Sorrows has it down pat.

4. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

A week.

5. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

To be honest I think Cheddar has me beat on offering constructive criticism.

6. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Two things:

1. We only had five entries, and I'm willing to offer all of the contestants a game as a prize if they want one. I think we might offer to keep people anonymous except for the winner, so let @Xiph0 know you're okay with me knowing who you are. I'll probably ask for your Steam information so I can look at your wishlist.

2. Thoughts on revamping the scoring? It's not set in stone just yet, and I can't promise that staff will take suggestions into account, but after reading/reviewing/rating all five submissions I had my own thoughts on it. Going to ping others who have reviewed so far: @Halt, @Jarizok, @Eimim, @BTT, @Sorrows, @ScottPress, @Zombie, @Anarchy, @Oz, @Shinysavage

My thoughts:

There wasn't a designated spot to rate on adherence to the prompt. I think that should be part of the 'original concept' voting block in the future.

Characters, Plot, & Pacing seemed the most important to me. I found myself wanting to weight those higher.

Several stories did have grammatical or mechanical issues, but as these are often rushed drafts of stories for the competition I found that mattered less than the other categories. Setting and Atmosphere I did find important, but I also felt like they could have been weighted lower.

What do you all think about this for the next competition?
    Your thoughts will be appreciated, though I'm getting near 6000 posts and I'm going to save the 6000th for something, so we'll see how much most I post here for a day or three.

Plot
    Does the story have a beginning, middle, and end? Is it an original plot or simply a rehash of canon? A character driven story is fine, but even in that case there is usually a viable plot.
    Pacing
    Is the story too slow, never getting anywhere? Does it move so fast you want it to slow down and show the setting more? Do you get bored and start to skim? Is it easy to take a break from reading or are you pulled along for the whole ride at once?
    Characters
    Are you invested in the characters? Do they feel in character? If not, does the story provide enough reasoning for you to accept that they are legitimately different from their canon counterparts? Do you get a good sense of any original characters or do you dismiss them?
    Other
    A few points to consider here, but essentially it's everything else from the earlier categories. How was the grammar? How were the mechanics of the story? Did they use strange POV choices that you couldn't follow or tack on adverbs to every dialogue tag? Did you get a good sense of the setting and atmosphere? Anything particularly exceptional or boring there? Did they include the prompt in their story?

Or is there a better way you guys can think of to split it up? I do like having categories that are each rated on a scale of 1-5, rather than rating the story itself from 1-5 (which makes it easier to have a tie), but apart from changing that general concept I'm all ears.

7. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Haven't posted any reviews yet, but I'm currently reading through them all and writing them up now.

I completely agree on needing a "sticking to the prompt" category. I don't want to have to take off points randomly, but I feel a story needs to actually match the prompt to win the competition. I was actually just coming to post it...

I also liked having "original concept" as a category.

SPG wasn't a massive issue. It can make me look less favourably on a story, but we all have our guilty pleasure fics anyway, so I don't actually mind if they aren't perfect here.

Plot and pacing I figure can be folded together though, if you wanted to keep it out of 30?

8. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I don't care if it's kept out of 30 - I'd like to keep it out of at least 20, but I don't personally care if it's 20, 25, 30, etc.

Plot and pacing are quite different to me personally. I'll argue to keep those separate, but you could probably convince the other staff who would convince me. I admit that a lot of guidelines on writing and whatnot group them together - but I feel that's because in a polished, professional work they go hand in hand. But we're dealing with fanfiction, and I think that those two areas are more separate in terms of rating hobbyist writing.

So I'm not staunchly opposed, just opposed. But if that's the case I don't want it to end up out of more than 20, because I feel the important bits (plot and pacing) would get more diluted with other categories.

For me plot is about the plot points in a story - what happens. It doesn't matter if it's bogged down by tons of description, adverbs, and boring monologues on the nature of life. Is there a beginning, middle, and end? Does something happen or change? Was it interesting?

For me pacing is about the rate at which the story progresses. I can read a horrible story with good pacing, b/c I don't get bored while reading. It might not have a plot at all even, but if it's fun to read anyway? This category is where most of my own guilty pleasures fall - stories that have good enough pacing that I keep reading despite a myriad of other issues.

I do NOT want to add a sticking to the prompt category out of 5 - for me that's a yes/no situation, you either included it or you didn't. I want to fold it into an existing category.

Edit: Motherfucker I posted again right after I said I wouldn't - 5999!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  9. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    @CheddarTrek
    I know I'm haven't reviewed any fics of yet, but perhaps a better system would be moving away from the out of 30 scoring. While it does provide a nice baseline to judge a story off of, in the end, its restricting.

I think perhaps a better voting system would be like how the NBA handles their MVP voting. Each person gets one first place vote, one second place vote and one third place vote. You add all the votes together to get the score (obviously the 1st being worth 3x a 3rd vote etc.). The highest sum wins.

10. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

The scoring system was ok, but there can always be improvements. Like, I found the one story to be quite a mess, but since grammar and mechanics was only a single category, it didn't tank the entire fic, which I feel is important. Being written well is important, but it's not the most important thing, and I did overall like the fic.

TBH, I might have mixed up original content and plot a few times, but it doesn't really matter if one is a 3 and the other a 5, or a 5 and a 3, since it's the same overall point total. But, I think I mostly followed what you did Ched. Like, one of the stories had a really good plot twist and another one used an idea I hadn't seen in a fic in probably 5 years, so I rated both of them highly in originality. For plot, I mostly just checked to see if there was one, and how fleshed out it was. So while the one fic had a really good originality score, there wasn't really much of a plot to it. I think I added a point if the story was compelling enough for me to read a potential second chapter, since investment and retention are definitely important. That might not be for the plot category though

Pacing can probably be rolled into grammar/mechanics, since it's definitely a mechanical part about telling a good story. But, I don't mind that it's its own category, since pacing issues are definitely something to keep an eye on when writing, and it can make or break a story. I didn't give a single entry more than a 3/5 for pacing, which may be my fault. Mostly I just felt for how smooth the reading experience was, and how naturally it flowed. For me, it's really just about whether something or not feels out of place. In a properly paced story, you shouldn't ever even think about whether something is jarring, or out of place, so I kept that in mind the whole time. As soon as that kind of thought even crosses your mind when reading, there's probably a slight pacing problem.

Other than that, there's the adherence to the prompt. There wasn't an actual category for it, but I think I mostly just rolled it into original concept. But, it is important. There's a difference between a story that is built around the prompt, and one that just uses the prompt as a throwaway line and ultimately could exist in the same state if it was cut away. Now, I'm sure people will have different opinions on the importance of it, so I don't mind that it wasn't a category, and instead it was just something I kept in the back of my mind as I read them. I think the most important part is that the story actually feels like a story. So maybe a category like "cohesiveness" would work.

11. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Why not take the median or average of total points awarded out of thirty, and determine whoever wins by that. You've got a lot of numbers floating around, but realistically, everyone should have the same number of participants in regards to voting on a thread.

That might be too restricting though. But I think it has some merit, maybe something better can be determined from there.

12. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

I've given this a bit of thought in the past re: scoring systems. The problem with a scoring system that has a breakdown is that 1) Not all categories are of equal weight and 2) the importance of each category is kind of subjective and 3) a category's importance is not linearly related to quality.

What I mean by 3 is that with exceptionally bad mechanics (or bad any category really) can only go as low as 1/5 in this system, but can in fact kill the story for people with that alone. The worst you are at one category, the more exponentially it kills the story. So this kind of scoring is biased in favor of stories thay are bad in one area but good or average in others.

Second is the question of averaging scores or totalling scores. Total scores is immediately problematic because a bad story with ten low reviews will beat out a story with one good review. It becomes about getting the most reviews, not the most good reviews. Averaging solves this, but only works when you jave enough people voting. Otherwise it becomes much easier for a story with few reviews to win (when in fact, the low review count is indicative of a problem - the hook isnt good enough). Here it becomes about getting a few good reviews over many good ones with some average ones because it's easier to win that way. In the case of totalling, we'd need a way of ensuring each entry gets the same amount of reviews (this becomes very hard to scale up as we have more entries). For averaging, there would have to be a minimum amount of reviews to keep thing's sort of fair and prevent one review wins from becoming a thing.

I also think that moving forward competitors shouldn't be allowed to vote if an averaging method is used. While I like to think that DLP wouldn't look kindly on vote manipulation, the possibility does exist. With an averaging method especially, it's easy to tank someone's score with a bad review.

Seyllians idea of an NBA style voting is simple and works well, overcoming a lot of the problems I see inherent in the current system, with the drawback that it doesnt quite force voters to think in depth about the various elements that make a story.

Re adhrence to prompt, I actually voted on this via the original concept bit but I agree that it should be clearer in the future and it is important.

13. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

A question for people is how do you think these stories should be archived?

Personally I think they should have a title and possibly a date/competition number. Keeping them as Submission X wound generate too much interest once the competition has passed and it will get confusing quickly.

Perhaps something like: [Story Title]-SC1-12/17

With the relevant prompt stated at the top so people know where the authors were aiming. This thread could be modified to include links to this competitions entries since after a few they are going to get majorly mixed up if people are still allowed to comment after the competition ends.

Another question is whether people think that the stories should remain anonymous after competitions end? It could be that the authors are named when the results are announced. Or should it be an opt/out (or opt/in) system, where names are attached when the story is archived unless otherwise requested. Or we can let people claim them if they wish.

14. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    What I missed from the scoring system was maybe something that reflected the overall enjoyment I got from reading the story. For example, story number 3 was technically better than 4 and 5 in many aspects but I enjoyed what those two did and tried more.

Original concept is also a category I am not too sure about. On one hand, originality is always nice but I also prefer a decent execution of a more tried concept than I do a a bad execution of an original idea. I mean, being creative is good but this kinda incentives the writers to shoot for things that "haven't been done yet" and which isn't wrong per se, it can be a bit limiting if the writers feel they can't really go for older concepts anymore since even a well executed one will not yield points in that field. In other words, it punishes some stories for simply not being new and I don't think that's a fair thing to do.

Still, overall, rather solid system and we'll see how it works out after the final evaluation.

@Sorrows I like that format. As to the authors, I guess it is up to the authors whether or not they want to claim their stories but I honestly don't see why they wouldn't.

15. Methos

Methos High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
  16. Jarizok

17. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

I like the idea but would suggest going SC1 - title instead so it's immediately clear to what story comp an entry is to lessen possible confusion. Very good suggestion though!

18. Methos

Methos High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
  19. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Is there going to be another contest for this month as well?

20. Jarizok

I think the plan was for this to be a monthly thing. Since scoring is still open and the winner isn’t in yet, we don’t have prompts to vote on for this month’s competition either.

Not open for further replies.