1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dec 2017 - Story Competition

Discussion in 'The Lone 2017 Competition' started by Ched, Dec 17, 2017.

Not open for further replies.
  1. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    @CheddarTrek, voting closes today at midnight, or is it inclusive with Jan 3rd?

2. AlbusPHolmes

AlbusPHolmes The Alchemist

I second this. I still have to leave reviews on two remaining entries and I'll have a couple of hours to spare to do this tomorrow.

3. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

4. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Just a reminder to all who have reviewed: Your reviews will only count if you have reviewed all stories.

5. Conquistador

Conquistador High Inquisitor

High Score:
    @CheddarTrek

I haven't been able to review the stories this time due to being busy and feeling like I would be unable to do them justice in such a short amount of time.

However, I think that while keeping the first three categories that you named out of 5 possible points, the other should be made out of 10. This can also be called overall or anything of the sort. I think that this is important because more than bad mechanics or pacing or plot, it's how these three things fit into the story that's important. The most important thing is how everything comes together. How does the story strike the reader. You could have a technically good story just based on a terrible idea. Or it could be that the characters feel like robots. A variety of problems is possible. Weighting is very important and this overall/other category clearly means the most.

That's my two cents. I hope this helps you.

6. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I just want to clarify something, because I've seen that the thread ratings have been utilized by people. Those are not indicative of a vote, even if they do it on all of them. They have to actually write a review, correct?

@Halt thanks, just wanted to make sure so that people didn't think their thread rate counted as a review.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  7. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

8. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

One thing I seem to be noticing is that there seems to be a bit of a disconnect between vote score and actual feeling about a story. Perhaps that's intentional in an attempt to be more neutral as a whole when judging, but something just feels a bit off. Like, what exactly is the end goal when a bunch of people (including myself) say that Story X is technically the best (and voted as such), but we all enjoyed Story Y more?

9. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

So are you asking how/if it affects the voting outcome?

I'd say that people can enjoy the idea, but rate it lower on a technical level. So I don't think anything is off.

It looks like its going to boil down to if Story X has 300 points, and Story Y has 250, then X is the clear winner. The review is just commentary, so yes, I think it appears that people are trying to remain neutral and not let their feelings guide their points, and are using the points as a means to give a more technical review.

10. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Is there a place for us to submit prompts for the future? I have a few ideas (and some which I would love to write for).

It would be pretty great if there was an anonymous place to put our ideas on prompts, that can be looked at by the admins and selected (or, perhaps voted for if people are interested, it might bring more submissions if tons of people love a certain prompt).

11. Dicra

Dicra Groundskeeper

In general, more of these prompts (one every two/three months or so) would be a great thing. I didn't participate in this one at all, but that's down to not enough available time, which will hopefully get better around May/June this year.

12. Jarizok

Jarizok Auror DLP Supporter

I don’t know about the staying neutral bit. I didn’t personally make an effort to separate my personal feelings on the entries from their ‘objective’ quality at all really, nor do I think that’s necessarily the way it should be done.

If we do decide to go that route then I’d like to second or third or whatever the call for a ‘overall enjoyment’ category to be added to the technical scoring sections we already have.

13. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Voting is done today at midnight (PST - my time), for consistency with how submissions were handled.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  14. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Sorry I didn't answer that question earlier - I'd been trying not to post in order to 'save' my 6000th post for submitting my entry to this competition in WbA (I didn't finish it in time but the draft is done now).

Regardless... GREAT job everyone! I feel like we had a successful turn-out from contestants and voters both. I'm looking forward to the next one, which will hopefully be even better.

Remember that I am willing to award a Steam game to any of the five DLPers who entered, regardless of how you came out in the rankings. Just PM me and I'll confirm with Xiph0 (and otherwise keep you anonymous if you want that).

15. Conquistador

Conquistador High Inquisitor

High Score:
    This is exactly why I suggested creating an overall category worth the most amount of points...I really hope that idea is taken into consideration.

16. Jarizok

Will a new thread be created in Announcements for 2018 competition winners or will it all stay here in the Story competitions thread?

17. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

There will be a new thread for each competition.

18. Jarizok

How long does Joe have to come up with a prompt? How long will voting be open? ‘Cause if we want a January competition people will need time to actually write as well obviously.

19. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Prompt: Harry will leave Hogwarts and start a softball team, with sexy results.

...this is what happens when you rush me.

20. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Asking for a friend, but can we veto that? = P

Not open for further replies.