1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Define: Guilty Pleasure

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Skeletaure, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It speaks for the triumph of guilty pleasure over edifying literature that these days I much prefer the fics I find in Almost Recommended than the Review Board XD

Or maybe it's my lower expectations.

2. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, I went through that phase a while back. Unfortunately I've now transitioned into reading less.

3. Kthr

Kthr Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Might be the fact that some fics here have better ideas than some of the stuff I've been seeing on the Review Board.

Granted, better ideas doesn't mean the story is good only that I'd rather read something new with crappy grammar than a perfectly written clichefest.

Regarding Correspondence Uninterrupted, I enjoyed the fic. It still doesn't show us anything that would really shine, but it has promises if the author doesn't stick with the same cannon storyline, only with a more powerfull/smart/awesome Harry. Dumbledore conversation with him next chapter should shed some light as to where the author is going.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  4. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I think it speaks volumes about the current state of the fandom. Remember when you could fit the entirety of two star stories on Fanfiction.net between the gap of 3 to 4 stars? Now you can fit the entirety of the 4 and 5 star stories of 2011 in the 1 star stories ten times over.

People are lowering their standards to keep themselves happy and in turn its taking a hit in the qualities of authors. Why try harder when you can get by with less these days? Its a vicious circle. A jerk of a circle too. D:

SHow of hands, Who here actually goes to FFn to find new HP stories that aren't posted in DLP? Its bad enough I haven't read any story that wasnt posted in the WbA.

WE MUST REMEDY THIS, BROTHERS! TO ARMS! TO ARMS I SAY! LET US NOT SIT IDLY BY AS THESE CARELESS, BEASTIAL AUTHORS BUTCHER OUR WORDS! RAPE OUR TRADITIONS!

THEY MAY TAKE OUR IDEAS, BUT THEY WILL NEVER! TAKE QUALITY!

5. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

The extent of my FFNet searching is that I check up on the favorites list of my favorite authors, and maybe use pairing filters like Harry/Narcissa, Harry/Katie, Harry/whoever. Maybe searching should be easier with moatra's Filter.

6. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

Correspondence was alright. Belongs perfectly in this thread. Also as this is the fourth thread it should be called "The Revenge"

7. Antivash

Nay. The Revolution! D: The people demand restitution for these travesties! A youthful fire burns within our souls that demands release. This tyarrny of mediocrity and blandness must be toppled.

Yeah... I might be a little bored.

8. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Meh. It's all the same shit.

Slash. Harmonian. Time-Travel. Soul-Bonds. 'Reading the Books'. Ginny/Harry 'fluff'. Manipulative/Retarded Dumbledore. Love Potions.

Did I miss anything?

9. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    How many new decent/good authors have emerged in the last year? Deb peters, ecthelion, me (lol)... Who else? Lungs? :p

10. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Compared to the horde of shit, new authors from ff.net? Which drown everything out on that site?

11. Antivash

When did "Good" and "Decent" change to mean "Creepy" and "Deviant, perverse rapists"? Cause if thats the case, I... oshi-- YOU SAW NOTHING, FBI! I ADMIT NOTHING D:

12. knuckz

knuckz Seventh Year

I resent not being mentioned.

Perhaps it's a sign that I need to write more often.

13. fash

fash Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Last time I used the search function on FFN would have to be around September 07.

14. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Guess that's why you have monkeys like me digging through the crap, right?

15. arkeus

arkeus Seventh Year

Bah, i think it's much simpler than that.

A lot of the more solid HP fanfic get abandoned or slow to a crawl because the author realizes he makes way too much effort for a poor world/fandom.

However, guilty pleasure fics, the one you can't really say are great, but have some fun ideas and good writing, are easier for the author to keep an 'interest' in.

So, basically, it's because HP sucks.

16. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

No, the reason why we don't have a lot of good Harry Potter fanfics is because people suck. DLP would not have collected as many wonderful stories as it has if the HP world did not allow for so much growth or alternative interpretation of the characters. I.e. HP is a fun sandbox to play in. It's not the sand's fault that the guy who created the sandcastle has a poor imagination and a distinct lack of talent.

It's a sucky artist that blames his tools for his failures.

/derail

17. arkeus

arkeus Seventh Year

Are you serious?

DLP has an amount of decent stories, but even they are mostly stalled, slowed, or given up.

Or else they are guilty pleasure, like your own, or Shezza's fics, or Watermage...

I am not saying HP is the worst fandom or whatever, too- i am saying that it's a fandom that is not rewarding to write in after a while, unless you make everything in it your own.

And in that case, the only reason you don't simply write a Original story is because you like a forum and the feedback, like DLP is good for a certain kind of feedback.

18. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm sorry, did you just call Shezza, Swimdraconian and WaterMage authors of guilty pleasure fics? :confused:

19. Antivash

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

20. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    For me, guilty pleasure usually means a wish fulfilment fic with little to no conflict. Like Knowledge is Power.

It's all I seem to want to read any more XD