1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Defying Fate: Journey of the Offworlder by Doom187 - T

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by moogleknight, Apr 27, 2006.

1. moogleknight

moogleknight Second Year

Title: Defying Fate: Journey of the Offworlder
    Author: Doom187
    Rating: T
    Genre: Alternate Universe. XOver with Final Fantasy.
    Pairing: Harry/OC, No Slash.
    Summary: Sinister forces are plotting. Voldemort is gaining power, and Harry is just trying to get through it all. Then life throws him a major curve ball.

Interesting crossover of all the different final fantasy worlds and an interesting combo of HP magic with FF magic, as well as Dark but Lightsided Harry. Ginslut dies.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2781387/1/

2. Mrriddler

Mrriddler High Inquisitor

Somewhere high, somewhere low and somewhere in bet
    lmao, sorry, but I just pissed myself laughing at your avatar.

Lots of OC, interesting plot. The General Exan seems cool. Always like a chick who knew how to fight. Merlin kind of annoys me for some reason.

3. MrMucus

MrMucus Groundskeeper

Urgh I ended up hating this

The author just decides to throw an absolute shiteload of characters into the fic......Kuja, Zidane, Merlin, Grindleward and a whole heap more

And he goes to Zanarkand.....and is involved with SeeD, and wasnt Alexandria mentioned? amongst countless others

But meh.....I had a very long rant somewhere but can't be bothered digging it up.

What did really annoy me however is Kuja teaming up with Voldie.....He is just too cool for him even though he dresses like a freak ;)

4. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Voldie's the one wearing the dress! (or lingerie) Kuja made FF9 the bets of the lot - best bad guy ever.
    So is this gonna be a really crap one where he just does all the quests from the game in under ten minutes, becomes super powerful and kills Voldie with a hug from various members of his harem that he's picked up. Though the last bit can be in favour for it.

5. chronic dragon

chronic dragon Seventh Year DLP Supporter

i thought it might actually be good.....i was wrong

6. I read it a few days ago, and found it to be quite good. if I’m not mistaken it's crossed over with FFVII, FFVIII, FFIX, FFX and maybe FFVI, as I played it along time ago when it came out in Japan so not sure if the Baron Empire is from there but I'm quite sure it is. As for the ginslut, she hasn't died yet, but hopefully she does soon. all in all it may have a lot of OC, and HP characters but it does seem to be developing a nice original plot to the clichéd AU, as usually when this happens Harry out of nothing becomes Super!Harry, here he is strong but not overly so and does get his ass handed to him quite often. So I'd recommend reading it.

7. Shuujaku

Shuujaku Fourth Year

The fic is good, but it would be a lot better if the author didn't go off on tangents and adding crazy shit every chance s/he could.

There was also a lot of focus on Ginny for a few chapters, but it seems like that's over. Thankfully.

8. ixazncha0six

ixazncha0six Raptured to Hell

I was overjoyed when I saw a long Final Fantasy/Hp crossover, but I was very dissapointed when I read it.

Upsides:Fast updates, good writing, spme good ideas.
    Downsides: Way too many characters, Ginslut is a important character, Kuja teaming up with Voldemort.

9. moogleknight

moogleknight Second Year

She actually DID die, although she'll remain important in death me thinks. Atleast she's out of the way so Harry can get a better chick.

(Unless she gets brought back somehow T_T.)

Kuja teaming up with Voldemort is not all bad, because it seems like Voldemort is kinda overpowered by Kuja as a personality, so it's like Kuja with HP magic and dementors. Not so bad.

10. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

This story... is just... I dont have a word for what this story is. I nearly cried when me and MrMucus found this the first time a few weeks ago. This was in the 'awesomely bad' stories thread and now its here?

Soon, the author will be throwing LotR's characters in just for the hell of it. If stories were better according to how many characters are mashed into a scene, this would be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

11. I thought she was with the Flamels in the Alps where the Aeon created from Harry took her and she was just absorbing all magic. i know they said she was most likely going to die, but i don't remember reading the actual death. I'll have to reread the last few chapters, because there is no way i can miss something as beautiful as her death. that is somthing to be enjoyed not missed.

12. moogleknight

moogleknight Second Year

Oh crap your right........

Lolz....... Hmmm.... Ginny overloading on magic then exploding.... it could work..... Yesh! Ze explosion will work!

Oh sorry I kind of like this story, you know, people have different opinions yah.

Bitching doesn't do much good because when someone bitches and someone goes into reading a story after reading that bitchy post and there all like - "Some Guy said this story blows, lets go read this story and see how much it sucks."

Kinda manipulates someones view of what the story could be like so that they start off trying to find what's wrong with the story, not bothering with trying to enjoy the story.

It's not for everyone, I'll grant that, but has some original ideas, I love the potential mixes that HP and FF magic could do *Drools*. AND yes, there are alot of different chracters, expecially near the start, but IS'NT there alot of chracters in most HP Fanfics, let me give an example -

Harry - Hermione - Ron - Tonks - Remus - Moody - Sirius - Ginny (eww.... it had to be said.... DIE BITCH DIE!) - Luna - Neville - Dumbledore (Manipultive! OFC) - Hagrid - Fred - George - Percy - Mr & Mrs Weasley - Dursleys - Dobby (annoying...) - Dean & Seamus (the distractions... cannon fodder or w/e) - Peter - Tom A.K.A Voldemort (dark tosser..... *snickers*) - James and Lily (maybe as ghosts, portraits, AU so they never died or time travel, resurrected or body sharing spirits with Harry.... don't know where I read the last 1....) - Bella - Draco - Bill - Griphook (xD so many ppl like using him for some reason, I don't get it....) - Charlie - Grawp - Kingsley - Fudge - Madam Bones & Susan - Katie - Lavender (Won-Won! *snickers*) - Parviti and Patil - Cho "Likes-to-cry-and-wuss" Chang

Need I go on?

In most HP fics of considerable length (Over 100k Words), I can guarantee atleast 65% of thos chracters will be featured in any fic..... That's not a Draco/Harry story, because they love to run away and ignore the world, and THEN have passionate Fabioo-like sex everyday *snickers*.... I'm getting off track, where was I.....

Oh YEAH! There are quite a couple of chracters there (And plenty I did'nt mention) that do not get mentioned at all! So what are you complaining about, to many chracters!

You my friend, are a hypocrite, as nearly all HP fics have many numerous and different chracters with very different personalities that provide hours of entertainment to a fanfiction writer, and reader.

I guess you and your friend must love Slash because you don't get all confused with which chracter is on top or bottom as there's only 2 in the whole fic!

And that LOTR comment is totally wacky, if it was gonna feature LOTR chracters the author would have said it's a LOTR AU as well.

But it's a HP/FF AU, not a LOTR/HP fic -

That I think that has brilliant ideas that I haven't seen in a fic before (although some ain't executed in the best way) but that matters little to me, as the saying goes -

"The ride matters little compared to the destination!" or something worded similiar I can't remeber.

It's not everyone's favourite, and not everyone will enjoy it, but if your in for a unique fic thats not the same as most of the "Harry gets awesome powers and beats Tom and marries Ginny/Draco and they live happily ever after," that seem to be so common, then I recommend this fic.

And anyway, his/her's writing quality is on the rise! :p Practice makes perfect.

Best Wishes,

Mog, Lord of Weldenvarden

13. moogleknight

moogleknight Second Year

Oh crap! I just released that guy I semi-flamed was a mod.....

I'm hoping this forum mod's are tolerant with people who have different opinions then themselves.......

If I get banned or something simliar, nice knowing you guys!

Best Wishes or See Yah Round the U Bend,

Mog, Lord of Weldenvarden.

EDIT - Oh yeah, if the mod's ARE tolerant, I'll hope you'll excuse the double post.

Thank You.

14. radioactive

radioactive Third Year

In my expirience, the mods tolerate opinions, and have been known to let things slide... but are pretty hard on double posting. Tough luck ;)

15. Don't know much about the mods reaction to either double posting or criticism, but I think the problem most people have with this fic, apart from the horribly large role weaslet played until a few chapters ago, is the fact that Harry is the only truly important HP character in the whole thing until now, and most of the other main characters are OCs.

16. moogleknight

moogleknight Second Year

Agreed.

But I thinks that's gonna change when HP universe finally merges with FF universe, then like the muggles are all gonna be like wtf? and then they'll like totally get pissed off and 'accidently' (all the religious nuts) kill off all the magicals when the wizards explain to them that magic is real, and like heaps of muggles will be like "WTF (WhyTheFuck in this case) didn't you tell us years ago!" and a couple will be like "Magic! Cool! (All the fanfic nerds *winks*)".

Or there disappoined that he is not all powerful yet (e.g. Super!Harry).

Best Wishes,

Mog, Lord of Weldenvarden

17. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Meh, I dont care. Harry wielding a gunblade is just not something I'd want to read. The fact that everyone thats ever died seems to be alive is just annoying... death is death.

18. moogleknight

moogleknight Second Year

Hehehehe......

I seem to have went a bit postal there.... Who's been slipping insanity pills in to my food *paranoid*.

LOL nvm.

Best Wishes,

Mog, Lord of Weldenvarden.

19. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Holy hell, who would ever recommend this?

Firstly, the concept of a mass-Final Fantasy/Harry Potter crossover is monumentally stupid.

Secondly: everything else.

The writing style is pedestrian and is ugly to read with terrible sentence structure and grammatical mistakes.

There are fistfuls of original characters which the author uses to give massive block paragraphs of dialogue explaining the history of whatever Final Fantasy place the author's playing in at the moment instead of incorporating it into the narrative.

And to expand battle scenes, but the action consists of a couple of fighters taking turns attacking in a Round-Robin style. Battles are hardly turn-based RPGs.

Much of the failure comes from this being a direct translation from the game to writing form. The term junction should never appear in a Final Fantasy crossover, just as Neo entered bullet time should never appear in a Matrix novelization.

This is like in Shezza88's crossover with Ancardia when someone kills a dragon, which then actually proceeds to drop a stash of items.

A pity the author didn't abandon this earlier.

1/5

20. azurit

azurit Squib

I seem to have some kind of chronic common sense inversions, or my suspension of disbelief is powerful enough to leek to reality too, but I seem to like many stories that are apparently epically fail :(

I understand and see all the points raised against this fic and there's plenty of those, yet I still can't help it and somewhat like this fic. It seems to be abandoned though, or with really slow updates.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't notice this was bumped.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009