1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Demon’s Feign, Merlin’s Pain by Nuhuh - M - Dresden Files

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Nuhuh, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Oujou Akaash

Oujou Akaash Unspeakable

The ending of the chapter is aswom. Really funny as hell when he started to get freaked at the end.

2. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

Yeah, I'd started writing in third-person and it was cumbersome so I retro fitted the beginning to first person but didn't get all the mistakes I made. Won't be a problem in the next chapter, but if you see it please point it out. This is my first attempt at first-person.

Hope you like the Harry centric chapter next.

Oujou~ Glad you liked the ending. Shezza and Litha are on me to finish the second chapter so I can take them out of suspense.

3. Oujou Akaash

Oujou Akaash Unspeakable

I gotta say, in my opinion, i like your first chapters better than Shezza's, though it's way too early to tell. Besides, it's good that there are humor even in the most dire situations. That is what i like most about your fics. While shezza's is dark with black humor.

4. Shezza

Shezza Renegade 4 Life DLP Supporter

I love the way you've characterised Harry (Potter, that is) already, from his slight case of insanity, to his ruthlessness, his bitterness, and how's his willing to do what he has to in order to achieve his goals. He also seems hardened, no longer the innocent child he may have once been. Excellent work on that.

As for Dresden, well BookCanon!Dresden does put his foot in his mouth sometimes, especially when he's being a wisearse, so I can seen him screaming that at the thing that was annoying him.

My only complaint is that you've left it at the very best part and now I have to use my imagination and try to guess what happens next. So, tell me, are my theories about the Easter Bunny popping up with a large, heavy-calibre machine-gun right?

5. gallandro_83

gallandro_83 Backtraced

Great new short.

I was a little shocked that Harry hadn't given up his glasses as well I mean here he is acting a total badass and has to stop and put on his glasses.

Obviously Harry has probably crossed into a new universe. I know that in the Dresden novels that magic mucks up tech much more than it seems to in the HP verse will Harry be exempt from these rules or will he have to adapt??

can't wait to see what exactly happens I mean Harry obviously has gone against the laws of magic in the Dresden series so will he be under the punishments for them or is the fact that he is an outsider going to save him?

gallandro

6. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Oh my... that was amazing... Very well done... very well done.

6/5

7. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

I thought of several ways that could have ended but that was not one of them. Good start.

8. KenderCleric

KenderCleric Lord of Plot Bunnies

I know next to nothing about the show, but you've got me hooked here. The ending was just about perfect for a cliffhanger.

5/5

9. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

I laughed when harry took a moment to put on his glasses.

if you edited it slightly to make that part more pronounced I think that would add to the chapter. A kind of WTF moment as harry drops everything to search his body and floor for his slightly geekish glasses... maybe taking a moment to breath on it and wipe the lenses clean.

nice little way to break up the drama and suspense.

Very thorough characterization, made him seem insane, ruthless, manic, and all that good stuff. although I'm wondering whether he will eventually become less crazed and return to his more gentler nature. Not that he has to be a noble hero or anything, but you know, not killing the innocent and everything, and maybe just being sadistic towards the evil.

Maybe he considers Morgan and his council as evildoers and is hunting them. That would be something.

Is this going to be a fic where Harry is going to try and get back to his dimention, screwing whoever gets in his way?

...or is he just going to be dominating the council when they try and impose there will on him.

From what little of the council I know of, I want them squashed as their like the worst politicians, dictators, judges, and hypocrites X 10.

They really don't seem to do anything positive or productive other than threaten Dresden with a beheading and beat the shit out of him. Then warn him they'll get him next time even after he does there jobs for them.

Again this is from only watching the T.V. show so I don't know if there like that in the series though your story seems to indicate that. Although I think I read somewhere that Dresden had a seat or something with the council or something?

Anyway, I'm desperately waiting to read your next installment. I definetly want to see where you have this story going.

Quazi

10. Nuhuh

Shezza88~ Potter is a combination of all those things so I am glad that is coming through. And yeah, I could just see Dresden losing it for a moment and just yelling at something as far as he knows was ready to tear him apart.

gallandro_83~ Glad you liked it but this isn't a short, it is the chapter two teaser of the fic I started. The link for it is in my sig. To me Harry's glasses are an important part of his character sketch along with the hair and scar, so I don't want to get rid of that, besides it created a funny situation. As for his fate, well nothing is ever simple for Harry Potter or Harry Dresden.

Quazi~ I will take your idea to edit that a bit and highlight it more. I think its just hilarious for the Outsider to pause to put on his glasses. Harry Potter's characterization is going to be complex, obviously he was going more mental in prison and that will become even more subtle now that he is free but won't be completely absent. Other traits will become counter points to Dresden, and that will make for an interesting dynamic.

The council is harsher than what it is shown to be in the TV shows so far, if that gives you any indication. Suffice to say Potter will shake things up, don't want to say more, because the council will play a huge role in the story. Yes, Dresden definitely is on the White Council of Wizards, but he is not on The High Council/Senior Council which is governing group of wizards.

Thanks for the review, very happy to see all of you liked Potter's characterization.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2007
  11. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Well now I'm hooked. Damn cliffhangers.

12. OdinMage

OdinMage Fourth Year

nuhuh...... why do all your stories make me happy in my pants?? hehehehe
    write more!!!!!!!

p.s. take a look in the thread for chapter 3 of shezza's dresden files crossover.... I posted a kind of mini-rant on the differences between the books and the tv show that I saw just in watching the first ep, it might help, it might not.....

PLEASE write more of this quickly!

13. Nuhuh

The Binding is full of ghoulish humor! you missed it! Thanks though.

Virail~
    Thank you for off the chart rating. Glad you liked it so much, have you read/seen Dresden Files?

Necrule Paen~ That was the best and most natural place to end it. Glad it worked.

KenderCleric~
    I wanted to write it so if you didn't know absolutely anything about Dresden Files you'd still get what was happening, so I feel pretty good you were able to follow and enjoy it.

World~
    As promised in IRC, I hear and I shall provide...soon, very soon. Working hard. Hope you keep liking it even when every chapter does not end in a cliff hanger.

14. a_wanderer

a_wanderer Squib

I'm not familar with the show (don't subscribe to TV) it is interesting. You need to check your word choice and spelling (there vs their).

I'm looking forward to reading the next chapters.

15. gallandro_83

gallandro_83 Backtraced

I was wondering why I can't get the ff.net link to work in your signiture area

when I click on www.fanfiction.net/secure/live_preview.php?storyid=3468902

it says that there is a ff.net error I think it is either a personal link you have in your account or you need to have membership.

gallandro

16. redawgts

redawgts First Year

While I can't say I've ever seen the show or read the books; I can say that I like this story so far. I really like you depiction of Potter and look forward to reading more soon.

P.S. Your FF.net link to the story in your signature is pointing to the wrong page.

5/5

17. Nuhuh

My bad, I should have noticed this right away. The link in the signature is fixed now. http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3468902/1/

Sorry for the confusion.

Odinmage~
    lol, thanks, I take that as a high compliment. I'm working on the rest of the chapter. I saw your post in Shezza's thread, I will get to it. The reply is just a long one. In short I'm mixing the two and getting rid of what is a weak adaptation in the tv series and keeping what doesn't affect things much one way or another. Thanks again.

18. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    nuhuh No I've never even heard of it before. But I've what I've read of your adaptation of it I do like, a lot. yet what I've read of Shezza's I absolutely hate. So I'm on the fence.

19. Shezza

Shezza Renegade 4 Life DLP Supporter

Virail, don't take my story to be anything like the Dresden Files. It's only incoporated a few of the aspects of the Dresden-verse. I suggest you read the books or watch the show, because both are pretty good for any fantasy lover.

20. Nuhuh

A_Wanderer~ Didn't see that silly mistake, thank you for pointing that out.

Redawtgs~ I've fixed the link in my sig. Happy to know you're enjoying, thanks.

Virail~ Shezza and I are taking different angles with our fics even though some aspects seemingly will overlap. But I will echo his recommendation, Dresden Files is worth checking out. Very easy read. If not, I'm glad you're enjoying the fic anyway:)

Shezza~ I'm doing more research on the Outside, I believe I have the right of it, but I'm still rereading the parts where it was mentioned. Will hash it on IRC when we're logged on.

Potter really is an Outsider, from the Dresden Files point of view. That will be cleared up as the full chapter is posted. No it was definitely not a transatlantic summoning.

Reason for the background information in Potter verse is to show some sort of progression from where HBP left off. I could have taken the route of plugging him in the Dresden verse with the vaguest of back story but I felt it would be difficult to explain away the changes in his character. Most of us would like to see a turn around from HBP characterization overnight but it also leaves you with a Harry whose motivations you're unclear on.

This is a fic based primarily in the Dresden verse, I just didn't feel like taking the easy way out by taking away all of Potter's personal connections to his world.

And yes, Potter will become a headache in all senses for Morgan real soon.

Thanks for the in depth review.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2007