1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dexter on Showtime

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by justbrowsing, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

Ah season finale tonight. Heads will roll, blood will be spilled, secrets will be exposed...

I wonder if this season's ending will be as shocking as the last. I'm still confused about what the trailer from the last episode was implying, and hopefully things will be as epic as it made things out to be.

2. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

The only thing about the trailer I didn't like was the car crash. Seemed excessively dramatic. Hopefully it isn't in context.

3. cloud91

cloud91 Fourth Year

Just finished the season finale I personally loved the way they did everything what did everyone else think?

4. Voice of the Nephilim

Voice of the Nephilim Death Eater DLP Supporter

Really, really disappointed in the finale. Especially considering the high quality of the last third of the season, all the plot strands which were woven, promising a chaotic finale.

Far from it.

5. ashura

ashura Third Year DLP Supporter

Seriously disappointing. Everything gets tidied up with a nice, little ribbon.

So many juicy possibilities (Deb finding out about Dex, Dex taking the fall for Liddy, Quinn knowing the truth, Dex and Lumen being a crime fighting duo) all tossed aside to keep the Dexter status quo. Deb not having the killers come forward from behind the sheet was just ridiculous.

6. Potterondrugs

Potterondrugs Seventh Year

7. disturbed27

disturbed27 Professor

Damn. I was expecting Lumen to die. His brother was someone who could understand the killer but nothing else, the prosecutor could have understood Dexter and his family but not the code and Trinity couldn't understand the killing with no guilt. They all died by Dexter's hand each an aspect of him. I thought Lumen representing every part of Dexter would die to.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  8. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

I thought the finale was good, though a bit laggy in some parts. Not the way I predicted it would go, and there wasn't as big an impact as last year's, but still, it worked with the season's theme, in that...

Rita's death was the big event that foreshadowed everything this year, and Lumen's story was a metaphor for Dex's own pain. But, of course, we still get reminded - unlike Lumen, Dex is still Dex. Though he flirted with the idea of finding something to make him whole, he is still the man with the Dark Passenger. For a while there, he was the family man trying to make it all right, and then he was the hero of a like soul in pain, but... He is the goddamn Dexter-man.

To me, it does work out if I write it like that, but a part of me doesn't like the loss of Lumen in the way it was executed. I'm still rather intrigued as to where things will go next year, at least in Dexter's mindframe. I think it'll be less of a personal season, something closer to season one with a bit of the undercurrent of hurt from this season.

Deb's turn here has indicated to me that the biggest obstacle left for Dex is her. She's close, moving on a path that could honestly make her and Dex on the same playing field. But not yet. Dexter's tried the family man thing, tried the equals thing but got screwed by the other one in the equation, and unless the rest of the show (Be it ending next season or the one after or the one after that) will be about Dexter's redemption and him getting rid of the Dark Passenger, the Deb angle is about it, really. I get the feeling they're saving the best for last.

So the finale, while neat and all that, still had more of an impact than the last "neat" finale - season three's - and there's always the chance of Lumen coming back, I guess. Either way, looking back, the season was good and worked as a whole but with some niggling bits in the middle. Still, this show stays on top as one of my favourites.

9. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

The finale was decent. It didn't go the darker route it could of, and left plenty of unresolved plots. It wasn't bad, but could've been better. Two comments I read encapsulate it all pretty well.

There were so many plot holes this season you could drive a truck through them. We never found out about the Santa Muerte killers, Kyle Buttler, the mystery behind the nanny, why Jordan didn't involve himself in the killings, why Jordan was wearing Emily's blood in his necklace, why Emily behaved the way she did around Jordan, etc. The finale made no sense: were supposed to believe that Debra would walk away from a killing in progress, Quinn supposedly gets off even though his phone records and fingerprints raise big suspicians, Dexter stills a random car and nobody notices, Dexter pulls out a phantom knife (remember Jordan took his bag of knives when Dexter crashed), Emily's murder was forgotten, etc. The finale made zero sense and was extremely sloppy.

-----

You know, sure there were plot holes, investigative lines that could have been followed up, but I don't think that was the point this season. It was about relationships and closure and moving forward, and for me, this was actually a satisfying season finale. It could have gone in several different directions, but I did believe that Deb would turn a blind eye, and I did believe that Lumen would leave to carry on her life. I also believe it leaves Dexter with more experience for future connection.

On the plus side, I'm glad the writers didn't try and upstage Rita's death. Though, I was surprised
    Lumen survived. I thought she'd either be blamed for the murders of her captors or commit suicide. But her losing her urge to kill after her tormentors were gone works for me. Lumen was never going to be more than a season length character, like Trinity and Miguel.

It was a decent season. Some fantastic episodes, and a couple of poor ones. But that's Dexter in a nutshell from my perspective - usually great, but is always let down by a couple of episodes in each season.

Next season I hope Deb finds out. The writers seem to be working towards allowing Deb to see the world less black and white than she used to, especially now after
    letting Chase's killers go.
    She'll be shocked, of course, but eventually accept what Dexter is. (I'm not sure but I believe that has happened in the books.)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  10. Castiel

Castiel Headmaster

This.

/10chars

11. Speakers

Speakers Backtraced

The whole getting away with the murder of Jordan chase was retarded. But besides that, it was a good episode and I was really pleasantly surprised with lumen leaving. Dexter's reaction to the news was pure acting brilliance.

12. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

It was already foreshadowed that Deb wanted Chase dead, and after seeing (again) how much pain he had caused, I can see her letting the vigilantes go free.

I'm surprised that Dexter helped Quinn, though. He was an obstacle and little else for him.

13. Speakers

Speakers Backtraced

I can see her letting the vigilantes go as well, just not without seeing their faces. That goes against every cop instinct possible.

14. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

But she knew what Lumen went through, to an extent. She knew that feeling of wanting to get back at the people who did something to her. It went against every cop instinct to not find out who they were, but if she found out their identities she'd never be able to let it go.
    Season was good, no doubt about that. But I found myself terribly disappointed by the ending. So much potential for the next season tossed out the window. Of course, this means that the next season is anyone's game, between Deb's supercopness, Quinn's suspicions (he has to still have some), and Dexter's character evolution.

15. The Fine Balance

The Fine Balance Headmaster

Disappointing finale. Nevertheless, there were a couple of, hm, interesting moments.

1) Chase's behavior with Lumen. Seriously, what the fuck was up with that? I felt that he was going to literally slice her apart and eat her, or something. I think they were trying to reenforce his perversion by further highlighting the bestial in the man, but it's short duration made me well a bit discombobulated, at best.

2)Deb.wtf? Just when I thought she'd finally know.

3) Lumen had to leave, but this was a stupid way to do it. Why not during the next kill or something? This realization was far too convenient, and not very dramatic at all.

4) Plate. Yeah. Okay. Cliches, thank you.

5) Love the kids. Like how they framed the season, first with their departure, and now return. I guess they'll be going for family as the way Dex will find, if not absolution, at least some sort of peace in the world. Cody was... too mature with that talk about Lumen, though.

6) It's an okay season. One of it's major aspects, that somebody else understanding him, was explored with Miguiel, so meh.

Frankly, I doubt anything is going to top John Lithglow's Trinity season anytime soon.

16. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

Trinity season sucked ass, despite the actor.

I wasn't too disappointed. Maybe it seems like a happy ending from where we are sitting, but having Lumen killed while Dexter believes she understands him and is like him would probably have been better for Dexter in the long run rather than her ditching him after she got her revenge over with. I can't see Quinn letting Dexters obvious play in what happened go, despite Dexter getting him free.

Debra's actions were hardly unbelievable. I thought for sure that Debra would at least get a look at who she was letting go, but it was probably easier for her to let it remain a mystery. Anyone having to watch hours and hours of that video tape would have let them go. I want Debra to find out about Dexter as much as the next guy, but her not looking behind that curtain didn't seem all that strange at the time.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  17. oephyx

oephyx Headmaster DLP Supporter

Most of the finale was good, but starting from the moment Deb lets Dexter and Lumen go, it gets weirdly artificial. Lumen suddenly realises she has to go, and the kids decide they need to come back. They could have just posted the character list for next season, really. It's like they tried to close off the season neatly without any of the interesting repercussions we might have expected; despite all of the possibilities, nothing really interesting happened.

Apart from that, decent ending to the best of the last three seasons.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  18. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Just started watching this, done with the first season through the last twelve hours of free time.

It's very good. Dexter's actor comes across very well in his roll, as does Debra's (who I forsee as the butt-monkey for the most part of this show considering the shit dealing she's had in season 1), Batista (fucking hilarious at times), Doakes (complete cunt done well, though his dislike/hatred of Dexter really doesn't seemed to be that fleshed out thus far, other than the guy actively being a cunt).

The Ice-Truck Killer/Biney/Brian was a nice villain for the season and the revelation of being siblings was something that honestly struck a chord in me. I was halfway hoping that he'd have a 13th hour conversion and have a balance like Dexter, because the two of them had some chemistry.

The Latino lieutenants haven't really impressed thus far, but I'll wait until the next season to make final judgment.

Edit:

Just finished Season 2. Nice. Doakes was great in the latter episodes, Harry was generally awesome, Lilah was a conniving cunt, new Haitian lieutenant was a complete waste of time, new white FBI guy came off as a complete cunt, Saudi Arabia presentation by Cody was hilarious, and I'm going into Season 3.

Edit2:
    Fuck this shit. Season 4 ending just raped my enjoyment of this series. FUCK. Dexter should have dropped Arthur on the pipes. FU to whoever thought that was how Dexter's family life needed to be dealt with. RIP Rita Bennett. :(

Any decent Dexter fan-fiction out there? Something with the aforementioned plot-turn?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  19. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

RIP Rita? Surely you must be joking. Rita was the worst character on the show pretty much since she was introduced. Their only mistake was not killing her off sooner, the stupid cunt.

20. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

She was the worst character? Are we talking morally? Physically? What on earth is your criteria? :confused:

Because what I saw was a struggling single mom of two recovering from an abusive past become a mentally healthy human being in what was seemingly a good marriage with its ups and downs. Someone who was kind enough to forgive Dexter for his indiscretions as well as take a stand for his own good (even if she was mistaken about the issue, and it sorta backfired on her).

Besides Dexter, she's had some of the most positive character development on screen since Season 1, and in a world of fuck-ups, psychos and broken, messed up people, was a beacon of sanity and normalcy. (Batista and LaGuerta are a bit broken imo. Between Batista's issues with his ex, the vice cop, the rape accusation, and LaGuerta's and her lawyer friend and Doakes dying, well, I ain't thinking pictures of perfect mental health here).

And frankly, I was actually curious to see how a possible reveal of Dexter to Rita and the kids would pan out (same with Debra or anyone else), instead of you know, putting them on a bus outta town. :facepalm