1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DF Fanfic Ideas

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by ParseltonguePhoenix, Apr 27, 2009.

1. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That doesn't track, honestly - the Mothers seem to be even more constrained in their power than the Queens, about the only thing I can think of that the Greek Gods would do to provoke such a response is to attack the Mothers themselves.

2. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Is it just me, or is that a bit of an oddity? All the other religions Dresden lists are localized tribal beliefs and/or pretty close to dead, while Hinduism is still a major world religion that's alive and well in the modern era. After all, from what Odin said in Changes what causes gods go dormant is when they don't have enough worshipers, but you'd think a billion worshipers would be enough to prevent that.

Is there more to be revealed about how gods work, or is this just a case of Butcher goofing up?

3. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It could, perhaps, be the case that the worship does not define the being, merely gives it power. So if another powerful being comes along, knocks off a god, they can then attach themselves to that beings group of worshippers and receive the consequent benefits. If this were the case, there could be 'zillions' of former gods around, who've been knocked off the pedestal at some point over the last few thousand years.

4. Hello

Hello Professor

Just think about what happened to the Greeks, they got enslaved by the Romans but instead of being wiped out the Greek gods just attached themselves to the Roman faith and continued with new names. But when Rome started falling apart what faith was spreading? Christianity. It could be plausible that as The Way was growing it was strangling the power of the Greek Gods and then when Zeus decides to take it up with this upstart new religion the Pantheon gets smacked around a little by Archangels.

5. syed

syed Supermod

Has anyone seen the TV show "THE LOST GIRL"? Its about these people who call themselves the Fae, they seperate themselves by the light and the dark. THey are the supernatural creatures from myth. But the thing is they can only reproduce by having children with other fae, or their offspring will just be mortals. I wonder if they could be meshed into to the Dresdenverse. THey could be the results of breeding with mortals, or the results of a wizards transforming humans, or possibly both. THey are all about the laws and covenants, so I could easily see them as signitories on the accords. THey may not have the raw power and magics, but all the different type and skills and their abilities would make them a threat and resource.

6. frodrick

frodrick Slug Club Member

Wouldn't really work, since we already have the Fae and all the other supernatural creatures from myth in the Dresden Files already.

7. syed

syed Supermod

THey could simply have stolen the name, and tried to find their own independance.

8. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Doesn't work. If you take this interpretation (the Fae from The Lost Girl being descended from Dresdenverse Fae), then it fails to follow the canon we've been given on Changelings. They get to choose, much like the Half-Elven from Lord of the Rings, whether to be Fae or human. There is no in-between, at least not for long. Therefore there couldn't be half-fae, and quarter-fae. It just doesn't work like that.

9. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    In terms of power I'd agree it could work, as I recall Harry put it point blank they could erase just about anyone out of existence with literally nothing but a stray thought however given their attitudes and constraints I just can't see how that could work. If you want to use this the best I could figure is to put it like the Olympian Gods were going to destroy the cycle between the Fae in some fashion and when it looked like they might succeed the Mothers stepped in to preserve the balance and started bitch slapping the Olympians down and only agreed to stop on the condition that they agreed to never again interfere in other supernatural matters. Its not much but its the best I can come up with if someone wants to use the idea.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  10. Aekiel

High Score:
    War between Faerie and Olympus, perhaps? Say, the newly crowned Queen Titania upsets one of the Greek gods (Hera would be a good bet, since she's the Queen Bitch of Greek Mythology) and it eventually escalates to war. Naturally the gods are winning due to their extreme power and greater number, but the Mothers have seen that the balance is at serious risk and thus decide to step in. Cue curbstomping to the point where the gods hide themselves with the Mist and everything settles down into a Faerie dominated world (you could perhaps link this to the rise of Christianity as well, in that the gods aren't around as much to prove their existence, which allows another religion to take their place).

11. frodrick

frodrick Slug Club Member

Because, you know, Mab and Titania are totally fine with people using their name and doing things while claiming to be someone they aren't. I mean, I'm sure someone with global resources-two someones with global, nigh-universal resources-and extreme egos to boot would totally fly under their radar and if ever discovered, would simply let them be independent.

Names have power in the Dresden-verse. Claiming someone else's name as your own-particularly a Name as loaded as "Fae" would have serious consequences. It wouldn't work. At all.

12. Krogan

High Score:
    I really like this, I mean I think could actually really work and it would be a nice way to point out in the fic that while extremely powerful the PJO Olympians can get their shit kicked in if they get too out of line. Its probably the one thing holding me back from really enjoying things like Ryuugis fic because they just seem so effortlessly uncontested.

13. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Definitely Aekiel's idea is possibly the best I've heard for explaining how an xover could work.

14. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If the Gods of Olympus are so powerful, the Balance that the Mothers are stepping in to 'protect' would be rather different--it wouldn't be like they had arrived on the scene out of nowhere and starting grabbing up territory/influence.

Perhaps it could be a case of the Queens dusting their hands after kicking out the Fomor and turning their attention to the Olympians, only to bite off more than they can chew. The Mothers are eventually forced to intervene to prevent themselves from diminishing.

A bit of a nitpick, I know, but still.

15. sage1000

sage1000 Fourth Year

The idea of the mothers fighting/intervening in a fight with the PJ gods seems wrong. If that happened, i can't begin to imagine the level of destruction that would be wrecked.
    it could be that the demi-gods themselves caused too much trouble and upset the balance so the PJ gods decide to create the mist while the mothers wipe out the any memory of demi-gods from the entire world.

16. Krogan

High Score:
    Nah the reason something like the Mothers need to be there in a crossover is to specifically show the Olympian Gods are not the most powerful beings around and can get their asses beaten black and blue with no hope of retaliation if they get too out of line. The idea just wouldn't work anymore if the Mothers had any trouble with it at all.

17. Aekiel

High Score:
    Not necessarily. If the Mothers work in tandem with each other it wouldn't cause any world ending instability, because they'd both be cancelling each other out. They'd be wiping out the Olympians while they were doing it, of course, but it wouldn't necessarily destroy the world or anything.

Demi-gods aren't powerful enough to take on Mab, let alone threaten the balance. No, it's more likely a war between Gods and Fae, with the demi-gods being used as cat's paws.

18. Equinox

Equinox Seventh Year

The problem I think is taking it too generally. First off, just looking at the Olympians ignores Hestia and Hades, the latter of which is a contemporary of Zeus and Poseidon, and the former of which is the Eldest and Youngest child of Kronos.

To me, it seems there is a lot of underestimating and overestimating going on. Not all of the Greek gods would be on the level of Mab, I would say only three of them; Zeus, Poseidon and Hades, with maybe Hestia, Hera and Demeter approaching it (depending on how one wanted to play it). The rest would probably fall anywhere between there and less powerful than the Lady's. With the Greek gods, a lot I would think would depend upon just what they are gods of, which would severely limit them, even more than existing 'rules' governing their behaviour.

In which case you end up with, granted, still quite a few powerful Greek gods, but a lot which aren't exactly going to be curbstomping Mab or Titania anytime soon. Nor a faction capable of rolling over any other, especially the Sidhe, when you take into account the Lady's and other powerful members like The Leanansidhe.

Also not to be ignored is that the Greek gods aren't exactly the most cooperative bunch; unless they were facing a major threat, such as the Sidhe, they'd be more likely to fight each other than join together. It's the same as the Sidhe, between both Courts they have a lot of power floating around, but how often is it that they'd come together? The Greek gods are even more fractured.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  19. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I would think the demi-gods would probably be about equivalent to the Knights of the Faerie Courts in their overall role. The demi-gods get to have a bit of divine power while keeping all that wonderfully useful Free Will, and are not restricted in their actions the way the gods are.

20. Krogan

High Score:
    ^This
    I'd say Maeve versus Percy with neither holding back at all would be about equal and the rest of them only go down in power from there. Not a one of them could challenge Mab/Titania.