1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Diablo 3 Discussion

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Mindless, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Ayreon

Ayreon Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Yes, it was nice, but after 8 years I would have expected a bit more from Blizzard.
    Just like with Starcraft 2: feels just like an addon with an upgraded graphics engine.

I know, thats what most sequels are - a new campaign and slightly better graphics, but it's BLIZZARD not some random company.

At least it's going to be well balanced and mostly without bugs.

It's a bit like Episode 1 - a good film, but it's frickin Star Wars, so you're still disappointed.

2. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

Get the fuck out. Now.

Jar. Jar. Binks.

I repeat. Get the fuck out of here.

As for Starcraft 2, I could give a shit WHAT it is, I'm going to buy it and try it before I declare it shit. How are they going to change the game drastically? The entire GENRE is one copy pasta after another. SC was awesome because it had totally unique races that were perfectly balanced. Warcraft 3 sucks because the hero system was crappy, and macro-management is much more fun than micromanagement, at least to me. Apparently you can control a lot more than a dozen units in SC2, and that, to me, is a good sign.

3. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Ok, being a giant WC fanboy (as in i still play a few hours a day) I have to defend it. It isn't Starcraft, and it was never intended to be Starcraft. The hero system makes units a lot more important, and while micro may not be your style, it makes the game something different from lots of games out there. As for SC2, it will be amazing, though the graphics may suck. To me that doesn't matter much though since Blizzard makes games that have great game play... except for that which will not be named.

D3 should be pretty awesome, however I expect it won't be out until 2010 earliest. Hopefully it will prove to be worth the wait though.

4. hchan1

hchan1 Sixth Year

Except the micro is a lot easier in WC3 because units take about half a minute of focus fire to actually die, as opposed to SC where entire battles resolve in that same amount of time. WC3's custom games are superior, but as far as the normal game goes it is downright tedious. I play ladder to fight and beat other human players, not to follow an arranged pattern of farming neutrals.

As for D3, I'm fairly sure Blizzard will work their usual magic with it, so I was already sold the second they announced it.

5. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

D2:LOD ate my life for a decent period of time. So I'm a little wary of buying this...

I'm still going to though.

Diablo 2 was... Brilliant. No matter how many times you played that game, there was always a sense of uncertainty that followed. I've run through "The Den of Evil" (The first quest in Diablo 2) hundreds of times (literally) but every time I did it I still never knew what was going to pop up out of the blackness. Sure the game had slow moving mobs like your average zombie, but most of the time you'd just be slowly trekking through some dungeon into the darkness when about 10 things would burst out of nowhere and scare the scrap out of you.

Game is win, period.

What I'm most interested in are the other 3 classes that they haven't announced yet. I'm expecting 2 originals and 1 new class.

Paladin - Unlikely, one of the least popular classes overall.
    Amazon - Fairly good chance, zons were pretty kick ass and a lot of people played em.
    Sorceress - Another good possibility, fuck that frozen orb man.
    Necromancer - Total piece of shit, only thing it was good for was lagging people out with bonewall. Plus it looks like Shaman is basically a rehash of necro, just better. Locust swarm is oddly similar to another necro skill, and zombie wall is the new bonewall.
    Assassin - However much I'd like to see it, its unlikely. God I miss those lightning traps.
    Druid - Pfft.

When the wall of zombies popped up, I came.

So likely Amazon and Sorceress I'd think.

Wirts leg + Tome of town portal, Bitches.

PS: I knew Hellgate was a piece of shit before it even came out. I'm really glad I run in the beta circles.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  6. Gizmore

Gizmore Minister of Swedish Affairs DLP Supporter

SC and D2 is win, why change a winning game? The sequals both looks awesome. Wc3 had better CM maps because it was newer. SC2 will have a better system.

It's kinda sad we have to wait a year or two before we can play though. :(

What are you on about? Paladins is the most played class. Ever.

I feel kinda sad the the Necro probably have to go, I loved the lore so much~ :(

7. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

In WC however losing one or two units can, and in a lot of cases does, lose the game for you. SC you can afford to lose units because it won't hurt you nearly as badly. I'll agree that on the pro scene perhaps SC is more micro intensive, however there are only a handful of people that can actually micro every unit in SC. As for creeping, I can see why you would find it tedious, my only suggestion would be to play arranged team since it has a lot more innovation involved with it usually.

8. The Dark Lord Squash

The Dark Lord Squash Denarii Host

Have you played War 3 recently man? I bring this up because I played for several hours yesterday with some friends, and I can safely say you are wrong. In the beginning of the game yes this is true, but when you hit end game guys can go down fast, especially with level 10 hero's running around.

Oh and the Necromancer was sick. Bone Wall was meh, the real shit was Bone spear. The spear was full of win.

9. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I remember bone spirit was better then bone spear....

10. slasheh

slasheh Seventh Year

So far all we have seen are teasers.... I won't get hyped from those.
    Concerning Iso vs. 3D i must admit i have always preferred Iso graphics. Though The Witcher finally beat D2 concerning atmosphere.

As someone who has played Blizzard games since the firm exisisted, i can say that they have NEVER cared about GFX. It's always been about the gameplay. Starcraft was old by the time it came out, but it played perfectly (both SP and MP) DII was flamed because the resolution was only 600:480 instead of 800:600 (which was standard by the time it came out) but it was still the most successfull game ever made after 1 year.

I'll wait patiently (or not so patiently) until it comes out and then i'll form an opinion. So far not a single Blizzard game has disappointed me (with the exception of the D1 expansion, that one was weak).

Ps: Hellgate London focused so much on the graphics that they completly forgot what made DII great, if Blizzard goes in the other direction i'll cheer ;)

11. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Teasers and a 20 minute long gameplay video...

12. slasheh

slasheh Seventh Year

i remember the first SC gameplay videos as well, it changed rather a lot before it was released :p

13. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

Bone spirit is a one hit heat seeker. Bone Spirit is a missile that goes through everything in its way, most prefer Bone Sprit.

D3 will probably take awhile to come but knowing that it is in the process of release is much better than just knowing that is will eventually be worked on.

14. Oujou Akaash

Oujou Akaash Unspeakable

This is going to be one game i *am* going to buy along with SC2. And the graphics for the trailer was aswome. Very impressive. And...was that Diablo in the end? And i gotta admit, i was very impressed with the new class Witch Doctor.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  15. slasheh

slasheh Seventh Year

cadaver explosion was probably the most imbalanced spell ever made until the first patch. There was a fraps video i remember (one of the first online videos i can actually remember) where a player blew up 2/3 of the cow level with a sequence of cadaver explosions

16. Illution

Illution Seventh Year

Given their history it'll probably be here 2 years from now. Maybe just maybe, they'll make it release with SC2. A dream is just that.

17. Blah-the-Sixth

Blah-the-Sixth First Year

I disagree with Amazon making a return, but I do agree with the Sorceress. More than likely it will be some type of varient like the transition from Rogue to Amazon.

Also according to Blizzard the customization is far more advanced than the last two games and they stated that players can choose male or female genders for the classes. Which would support the idea of some type of varient for the Amazon class.

18. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    There's no lore for male amazon warriors, so I think we can safely say that class is out. Unless they redo the lore or something, like they did with the necromancer-ops I mean witch doctor- and give it some more abilities.

19. Ancalion

Ancalion First Year

Game play video is freaking sexy...can't wait.

20. Durden's Wrath

Durden's Wrath Second Year

I like what I see so far. Though I will miss having a necro. I loved having a Golem and tons of skeletons. And I really will miss corpse explosion. The WD has it, but first you have to summon a minion to do this, instead of just using what's already been killed. That is made of fail. I hope that changes.

I fully support the iso view. I miss the iso views of games, and I miss side scrollers. Everything's gone way too 3D, and has suffered for it. Hellgate, while a nice homage to D2, isn't anywhere near as addictive.

Hell 8 years later and I still play D2. Love having my might merc with "Doom" equipped. D3 MUST have runewords.