1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Did you know the girl who writes Draco Dormiens

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BioPlague, Jul 3, 2007.

1. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

Plagiarizes?

What a Bitch

And she released a novel recently as well. I thought it interesting.

This was before my time, of course, but I read a bit of it at the time, was turned off.

Nonetheless, a very interesting read and a warning to those who think it's alright to copy/plagiarize from works now to get reviews and to be popular. It can come back to haunt you, and I have no doubt if this girl is even the least bit good at writing, she'll never get anywhere with this stigma.

Just a note - some here might not like it but it is a really popular trilogy. Up there with Barbara's trilogy (Psychic Serpent) and Lora's (Paradigm of Uncertainty) when it comes to fandom/fan following and recognition.

Some here might not recognize it since it's recently been removed from the internet (some guess Cassandra doesn't want to have anything that'll get her in trouble).

2. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Not to mention even Zev would probably rape you for it.

Don't be a Plagiarizing whore is like the Original rule of the site:

3. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

tl;dr?

4. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

What the author of the popular story had to say when pressed for comment by the national media:

[​IMG]

What everyone else said:

[​IMG]

5. The Fine Balance

The Fine Balance Headmaster

That pic is so worth a thousand words.

OT: read it looong ago. Liked it a lot. Don't care anymore. Always found her one-shots better anyways. Now if they are plagiarized too... :| JIHAD!

6. lostbeing88

lostbeing88 First Year

This was pretty upsetting to learn about, owing to the fact that this was the fic that I was introduced to and what brought me into this world. Had I known this information when first reading it I probably would have cut bait and ran from fanfiction thinking it was nothing but an excuse to rip off published authors. Now knowing that that is not true I just think it is so reprehensible and am curious why anyone would publish her professional stories after that.

7. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

Here is a website with information about the whole plagiarism stuff with Claire for those of you who don't know about the whole thing...

http://www.fanhistory.com/index.php?title=Cassandra_Claire

If you look up her book on this site it also mentions that she took quotes and scenes from her Draco Dormiens trilogy and put them in the books. Which I guess is okay since it is her work, but still she should be more original than to rip off her own stories.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  8. Marie M

Marie M Raptured to Hell

Is this information posted on FA as well?

After Draco Trilogy was deleted, people started to ask for it everywhere.
    I remember wondering what was so good about it and saved it in my computer.

Some people really wanted copies so I told them in the FA thread to e-mail me if someone wanted it.

Later when I read it, I didn't like it and couldn't go past first part, but people emailed me daily to ask me to send them it, so I kept it in my comp.
    Even now, I get at least two e-mails a week asking for Draco Trilogy.

I'm sure 85% of these people have no idea that the work is plagiarized.

Shouldn't someone tell FA mods to attach this debacle to the tread?

9. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

If you read the entirety of it, you'll learn of Fiction Alley (I assume that's what FA stands for) and its origins.

FA wouldn't exist without the Cassandra Claire debacle (her removal from FF.net) and Cassandra Claire was one of the draws in advertising in FA's early days.

I'm certain they'd be reluctant to admit any past wrong-doing on their part, even if half the staff is comprised of newbs who weren't around then.

It's just not kosher.

10. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

No but its smeared all over the internet as it is. Go ask them about MsScribe as well. THAt was one fucked up bitch.

11. The Dark Monarch

The Dark Monarch Backtraced

Can someone just give a short summary of the text block. I don't have the patience to waste time reading a four foot block of text and learning nothing important to me as a human being.

12. Mindless

Mindless Big Boss DLP Supporter

Bitch stole a bucha quotes and jokes from series. Buffy was one, I think.

13. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Not just random quotes but large parts of a chapter from another book series. She copied & pasted the text and changed a few parts. So it was quite different from just playing in the sandbox of JKR.

I heard about the story before when I first read the bitch was going to publish an original work. I'm sure there are several people to check her 'original' stuff for similar passages. One quote and she'll need a good lawyer.

14. Lecter

Lecter Seventh Year

I read Draco Dormiens quite a while ago and thought it was decently written. Now I see why :)

15. Halstead

Halstead First Year

Blimey. I read this story eons ago, back when Harry Potter Fanfiction was dominated by a few authors and even fewer good stories. For my part, I didn't actually like the book very much, much preferring others, the Barb Trilogy among them.

However, this has quite surprised me. Especially as her fanfiction was so well liked and had so many admirers. And the fact that she is using quotes out of that into her original novel made me "lol".

Just shows that in the end that it will catch up to you to if you plagiarize.

16. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I remember this. Just like other popular series Psychic Serpent and Paradigm of Uncertainty, I was unimpressed and wondered what was so damn great about it. Even back that far, when I was no where near as picky as I am now and even wrote some crap shit myself couldn't read them.

Just never caught my interest.

17. Le

Le Fourth Year

I have to say, that was an absolutely monstrous read . . . I had no idea that the fanfiction community was that big, let alone that powerful. It seems like internet drama really does exist. This was well before my time though. I'm honestly glad I missed it. It's crazy.

18. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Fourth Year

Yeah, I had a similar reaction to LamentitEternum when I read this, then again when I started looking around I found that this is actually rather tame. The story of MsScribe is possibly one of the most amusing things I have seen in a long time when it comes to internet drama.

In summary: She created stalkers and trolls to move against her and her friends to make them cool and victimised and managed to do a lot of damage with it.

19. Halstead

Halstead First Year

Never underestimate the power of the internet.

Some people are very messed up and do stupid things but some people are so over-the-top when it comes to reacting to them. I remember the Ms.Scribe thing vaguely, but even at the time it only affected a small portion of HP fan-fiction world; and it is a hell of a lot bigger now than it is then. I always found the best way was to leave the Livejournal Harry Potter fangirl HG/HHr section well alone. It makes me shudder to this day.

I skimmed the whole bit of that LJ and was stunned to find out that they were still obsessing over this two years on and that it had got to "Investigators" and a hundred personal things that fandom should never be. What is wrong with these people?

Some people have way too much time and way too many anal retentive brain cells.