1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Do writing styles reflect the writer's age?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gav, May 11, 2015.

1. gav

gav Temporarily Banhammered

Hey Guys!!! I was thinking do writing style reflect writer's age. Give your views regarding this....

2. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Generally. But the stories that break this mould are often the better ones.

Also, we have multiple threads for questions that don't deserve their own.

3. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It's more like there are general ideas that seem to appeal to certain age demographics better.

For instance, there's Indy!Harry (or any indy! story in general, really), which seems to appeal to (mostly male) teenagers most. Personally I think that's because they show rebellion against authority and striking out on your own, as well as being a badass.
    It's not unreasonable to assume that as you grow out of this phase, the ideas you're likely to write will change.

It's hard to say what older readers prefer, though. Personally, I've noticed a trend of genre fiction set in the HP setting (horror, mystery... romance is its own thing), but I can't say it's tied to age, rather experience as a reader of fanfic.

4. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

I don't think so. I think it depends on who the author is targeting. People like Tolkien defined High Fantasy for an entire couple of generations, so lots of High Fantasy reads like Tolkien ripoffs. Paolini, for example, doesn't exactly seem to read like a typical teenager/young adult in Eragon, imho. I'd argue that outside fanfiction, if you look at published authors, it depends on the kind of market the author is catering to. India's Chetan Bhagat writes for a very Indian audience, and it reads very different from, say, Jeffery Archer.

So I'd say that while age does seem to affect an author's writing style, it's not the biggest factor, or even the second biggest. Its one of the factors which determines it, and it mostly shown is the kinds of phrases that author likes to use. You can't clearly delineate a writing styles by the age of the author.

5. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

Very persistent and bot-like person.
    http://omm.wonderhowto.com/forum/do-writing-style-reflects-writers-age-0161872/

And the previous thread:
    What do Writer Needs To Stay In Competition???
    DLP
    http://www.writersbeat.com/showthread.php?p=694915
    http://www.sffworld.com/forum/threads/what-do-writer-needs-to-stay-in-competition.46291/
    http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306343 (needs registration, but google says the title is identical)
    http://www.youngwritersonline.net/showthread.php?p=193197

I feel bad that we're answering this seriously. At least the topics are somewhat relevant, right?

Have a token comment on topic:

Writer's style always reflects the person who is doing the writing, but the degree and the places where it happens are the things that might give the work quality or make it unreadable.

6. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think the writer's age is more reflected in the themes than the writing style.

7. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Yeah, I had a feeling but didn't have a chance to look into it. 10 points to detective Nauro.

8. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's okay, my love of my own voice is not even diminished by my conversation partner not existing.

In fact, in many ways it's ideal.

9. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I, for one, welcome our new topic!bot overlords.