1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Do you read unfinished series?

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Lucius, Nov 2, 2022.

1. Lucius

Lucius Banned

Do you guys read series which aren't finished or only read completed works?

I haven't actually read a any unfinished series for a while now. I don't know I guess being burnt by a few authors has made me wary of reading of uncompleted works. Even if I did read it would have to be ones from authors who has a solid reputation of completing his works in a reasonable time like Sanderson.

2. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A series being finished isn't a prerequisite for me. Quality is far more important.

3. MuggsieToll

MuggsieToll Seventh Year

100% I read unfinished works and series.

Why would I deprive myself of quality writing just because only 4 out of 5 books are finished?

I do the same with abandoned fanfics. Yin and Yang by IP82 is a quality fic, regardless of the fact that it's been abandoned for 15 years.

4. Harpo the Fool

Harpo the Fool Fourth Year

Prefer completed but will read WIP if it's credibly recommended or otherwise seems promising. Put another way, being completed is a plus but not a 100% necessity in deciding whether to start reading something.

5. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

It’s hard to stay a determined “completed fics only” reader of fanfic because there just aren’t that many high quality completed stories. Very few writers are both really good, and capable of finishing their work. Finishing a story is much harder than starting one and requires different skills.

I haven’t come across a new completed HP fanfic that I actually wanted to read in years. Honestly, not counting short stories, probably no more than 50-100 have ever been written.

6. Othalan

Othalan Headmaster DLP Supporter

I'll read them, but I usually only bother if they've got more than 20,000 words or so in. That tends to filter out the ones that just give up after two or three chapters. If I know a story is abandoned, I won't bother with it unless I've heard really good reviews first. I only rarely decide to follow a new WIP story, and then only if it comes from an author I trust not to leave me hanging, if the concept is really intriguing, and/or if the quality of the writing is very high.

7. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

Aww why did the guy get banned.

He seemed pretty interested in creating new discussions

8. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Popular theory is that he was a previously banned user trying to sneak back in.

9. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Same IP address or something?
    I don't read anything unfinished unless the author is regularly posting. If the last update was last year, it's abandoned; it's just a matter of whether or not the author is going to come out and say it.

10. Harpo the Fool

Harpo the Fool Fourth Year

I've seen stories resume after no-update periods of much longer than a year, but yeah, I get the idea.

11. Red

Red High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I'd rather have a high quality unfinished series > most finished series, but I have a feeling fanfiction trained me to be fine with unfinished works/WIP. I get really annoyed at those that won't read ASoiaf or NotW because they may not get endings.

12. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    just a very distinctive pattern of behaviour. If you browse through old threads you'll see a sea of red names with identical talking points.