1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DOTA 2

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by leenK, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Honestly Mid, I know you like Sniper but he is a difficult hero to start with. He needs a lot of gold to become effective which means missing last hits and dying is a major no no. I would recommend that you play some kind of disabler/nuker intelligence hero for when you start playing against players.

For now thought, while you are leaning the game just play with other players against bots and random each time. You will have a different hero each time which means you can learn more about each of them. That way when you are playing against them, you know exactly what you are up against. Which is really important for the laning(early) phase. If you in your lane they both have multiple disables, it's going to be a dangerous lane.

2. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Actually I found him pretty easy to play with man. If I could've devoted more then some attention here and there to the game I'd have been way better off, but shit got crazy a few minutes in. Only person that LH more was you, and 9-3-17 is great for someone who spend the game trying to put out a few fires in the house and leaving the son to babysit my champ while he autoattacked lol.

3. Skykes

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that you did bad. But generally playing a carry (such as sniper) you want to be aiming for 100+ last hits by the 20 minute mark(each lane will have spawned over 200 creeps at this point), not always possible but that it's ideal. F9 or F8 is pause by the way, your team can unpause right away but the other team has to wait at least 60 seconds I think.

Go to options and turn off auto attacking. Unless you are pushing a lane with your team the only time you should be attacking a creep is to get the last hit, deny your own creeps(You will have hit press A then left click). By doing this it controls the lane in your favour but does not hurt your gold income at all. You can farm safely just outside a friendly tower's range with no fear of being ganked. At least until a clueless team mate comes along and ruins it for you. But even for a short while, controlled farming like that is incredibly useful, you will have 400+ GPM.

The second reason to control the lane is because if you run into a lane and auto attack, it pushes where the creeps fight to somewhere dangerous, so you have 2 choices: You can farm somewhere dangerous and probably die, or go somewhere else. If you go somewhere else then one of the enemies will happily take advantage of you pushing the lane.

Always carry a teleport scroll, I know it seems like a waste, especially after coming from LoL where it is free. The reason to do so is because it will save you and save team mates, often. There are a lot of heroes who are very strong at chasing but have no way to interrupt a teleport. For example, Bloodseeker. He can open with his ultimate which deals true damage(ignores armour type) and then further true damage the further you walk. He also gets a 40% + move speed bonus, and vision if there is an ememy hero below 40% hp. If he catches you alone, you will probably die, unless you have a TP scroll.

4. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Damn it, I'm jealous now. Should not have read through the comments on it haha. How much background do you guys have with the original DoTA and how similar is it? Also, if anyone has any invites they want to get rid of I would be more then happy to help them.

5. Zansa

Zansa Fourth Year

As long as the person playing Riki or Lycan isn't an idiot? Yes. It doesn't matter whether AM is or not.

Midknight, it's considered a faux pas to call a "hero" a "champion" in the DotA community. I don't care too much, but it's heavily associated with LoL and will garner you no love with the majority of the community.

You can bind your hero to other keys in the options if F1 doesn't work, and double tapping your hero selection key then holding it will follow your hero. You can also click and hold on your hero's portrait to achieve the same effect.

In regards to turning off auto attacks, i'm of the opinion that it should be left on. You shouldn't be standing still in your lane anyways if you don't want to die, and there are a number of situations where having auto attack on will be more beneficial than having it off, much like in SC2 if you play that.

I'm also going to say that for your first 10-15 games you should only one one or two heroes to get a feel feel for the game. There's enough to learn already without adding uncomfortable heroes to it. Normally Sniper isn't a recommended hero, but if you do well with him and feel comfortable with it, then stick with it for a while. You can get the gist of what other heroes do by playing the game.

6. Jas

Jas Fourth Year

In terms of starting heroes, I find that tanks/initiators are quite good heroes to get the hang of the game with. Normally they can take quite a bit of punishment before you die reducing your down time and playing them well contributes a lot to the overall effectiveness of your team while at the same time not crippling everyone if you don't go so well.

In terms of actual heroes, I play Tidehunter, Axe, Dark Seer and a few others from time to time.

DotA 2 also seems much more aggressive in general gameplay than LoL and I think that is where the courier comes in. It promotes more aggressive play as there is less trips to the well for items. In that same vein are some items that help ganking like an AoE stealth item.

7. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

o_O there's a pause button o_O... okkkkay

I'm all out of fucks to give over something so stupid, but notice taken, lol.

Aye, I rebound it to the Space bar, works just fine for me. Now if I can scale the UI a shitload smaller so I have more actual playing real estate on my screen I'll be happier. The only time I'm dieing is when I get rushed and cant click a path for the bastard to go quick enough.

8. Trooper

Trooper Death Eater

Lol. I don't have an Invitation yet, So I haven't seen the map. But is this the same secret shop that was in the old WC3 DotA map? 2 in the bushes of the top lane and 2 in Bot? Cause those wouldn't be secret Middy. >_>

Everyone who has played DotA knows that. And that's the crux of the issue I think. After filling the survey form for Beta, I see that the developers expect most of the community to be from the older DotA 1 community and very little is done to accommodate players who haven't played the original one.

Edit : Also, If someone has Passes left, Gimme one please? Pretty Please?

---------- Post automerged at 05:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 PM ----------

So, guys...what are the chances of me getting an invite for beta, now that I've filled that survey and opened up a steam account just for this stuff?

I mean an invite from Valve, Not you guys.

Although, an invite from you guys would be :3

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  9. Skykes

I dunno man, they haven't given out that many invites so far and I am guessing they do it in waves. Even at peak times there's less than 60000 players online.

10. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

That said, 60k people on at once is insane for a beta. At certain times, it is the most played game on steam

11. Skykes

Holy shit. A beta key giveaway thread in the steam dota 2 forums is 30000 PAGES long.

12. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Huh. Thanks for the tip, I'll never call them anything but champions after I get my invite.

13. Skykes

It will cause your team to rage at you, which causes them to loose focus because they are worried about that 'fucking noob lol player'. Which in turn will cause you to loose.

14. Trooper

Trooper Death Eater

Lol, it might not seem like a big thing to you guys and really, its not. But its an online multi-PvP game...What exactly were you expecting? I had this problem when I switched to LoL. I called "<This> Miss". Not mia. It also took abouit a month to get used to the idea of Ability power. XD

The "Hero" part obviously comes from the WC3 days. SO you can guess what kind of "HARDCOER" gamers they are that they were still playing on the WC3 engine till now. >_>

I frankly have no idea why I went on that rant. >_>

Also, on the subject of invites.
    u.u
    ;-;

15. Fausterion

Fausterion Squib

Riki nearly hard counters him, plus if you look at dota stats AM has a less than 50% winrate.

16. Iztiak

I will cry my eyes out, believe me. Such a real tragedy.

Fuckwits deserve to be fucked with. While I won't deliberately antagonize my team, I do not care in the slightest what the preferred term is for Champions. If people rage over it, it will be incredibly amusing.

I find it hard to believe that the player base is that stupid, however.

17. Skykes

You seem unfamiliar with online gaming.

18. Jas

Jas Fourth Year

Or at least the general intelligence and attitude of the DOTA2 community.

19. Zansa

Zansa Fourth Year

And the general intelligence of the MOBA/ARTS community as a whole.

That said, it's not really a matter of intelligence, it's about having someone to blame. The same thing happens in LoL - you're losing and everyone is to blame except yourself. It's as simple as that. If there's an out, it's taken, and most people who think otherwise are either too bad or too good to be placed with the general pool.

20. Iztiak

I'm well aware of how incredibly stupid the communities are for every online activity, game or not. It's very amusing in most cases.

However, I've yet to see a majority of a game community genuinely rage over a synonym. I do not express disbelief that a few individuals rage over that, that sounds like a reasonable amount of stupid. I only doubt that a majority of the game's population could rage that hard over it. Possibly because I haven't been invited to the beta yet.

This is not a negative, really. I am genuinely looking forwards to effortlessly entertaining myself if that is actually the case.

Last edited: May 14, 2012