1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

EC Could Strip Internet Explorer From Windows

Discussion in 'PC Discussion' started by Jamven, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

Full article here
    http://tech.yahoo.com/news/nf/20090119/tc_nf/64122

Now, I am all for stickin' it to the big man, but when is enough enough?

2. Knox

Knox The Last Remnant DLP Supporter

At the crossroad where the demon lies. Waiting to
    Lol, They could always use AOL 9.0 ;)

But this is pretty retarded, IE was a damn decent browser before firefox came along. So to remove such a free and easy to use web browser seems more like a personal choice, Guy wants to remove IE in favor of FF, Go right ahead.

I know people that prefer IE to Firefox, AOL Explorer, Or Chrome. So leave IE be you silly Europeans :p

3. Twisted

Twisted Guest

All they'll do is just make it bundled with a free software package or something.

And that said, how the hell do you get online to download an alternative in the sodding meantime assuming this goes ahead? You buy a computer, you can't get on the INTERNET?

4. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    As long as the EC maintains the mentality that competition is necessary to protect other competitors, and not the buyers themselves, this shit will continue.

5. Link

Link Order Member DLP Supporter

A stupid question, but how will people download a browser of their choice with their new computer, when they don't have a browser in the first place? Or will they have to buy separately their internet browser?

What I'm certain is that these rules weren't passed out of concern for the customer, but rather to make more money.

6. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

Hands up if you've ever paid for a web browser! No. All the IE alternatives that are worth anything are open source or Safari. Imagine having to get a browser separately, assuming you have to pay for it and find out that its shit. If it happended to me, i'd buy a IE and use it to get Firefox, meaning I'm paying Mircrosoft to use firefox.

7. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I would love them for removing crapware from new computers. IE doesn't bother me that much.

Heh, this is valid question, I never thought of it.

8. Twisted

Twisted Guest

I said it first -.-

Also the EU has some handy stuff for protecting the consumer, but most of it is shit. I kind of like Microsoft having a fairly secure dominion over some aspects of computing - properly competing OS' would fuck up software markets, for example. But IE is shit I have to say.

9. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Most computers come with MSN or AOL standard as a easy way to start up your internet, if you don't have it already. Dial-up, and then once you get connected, you upgrade to DSL/Broadband.

10. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

This is dumb. The system works, they shouldn't fuck with it.

11. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

What he meant was that most users can't download new browser if there is no browser installed, especially on Windows.
    It works, who cares it's agonizingly slow, right?

12. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

IE is more than bundled with Windows. You ever try to uninstall that shit? Like the article said, it's tied to it.

13. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

Put firefox installer on a cd and you shall never have to worry about it again.

14. Jamven

I haven't looked at the license terms that many of the "alternate" browser are written and distributed under, but would it be frown upon for consumers to have to purchase Firefox or other browsers?

15. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

Except when they do a major upgrade. (Read: From 1.* to 2.* or from 2.* to 3.* - major upgrade = built in updater wont upgrade you by one of these steps.) I guess if you aren't as worried about the security of your computer, it doesn't matter at all. Enjoy your e-Herpes though.

16. Jangel

Jangel Earl of Someshit

...install 2.*, download 3.*, upgrade to 3.*.

Seems easy enough to me.

17. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

Tada

18. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Stupid. Waste of time. If you don't like it, it's easy as hell to get something else. God knows Microsoft ain't going out of it's way to make IE a decent browser in the first place.

19. Jamven

Figured that I just post this here instead of posting another thread.

Windows also includes some other things that have competitors: Wordpad, Paint, Media Player, Defender, and Remote Desktop Connection, to name a few. Does that mean that a new PC will have to include Jarte, AbiWord, Gimp, Paint.Net, WinAmp, VLC, GOM Player, Media Monkey, AdAware, SpyBot, MalwareBytes AntiMalware, Kerio, Comodo, ZoneAlarm, PC Anywhere, VNC, TeamViewer, and a slew of other apps whose functionality Microsoft has built in to Windows?

Fucking hell, the O/S's will now come on 5 DVD's.

20. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

^^But will it have Crysis ?!?

On topic: utter nonsense. Like Xantam said, there's really no reason to fuck with this, and most users just end up downloading another browser anyways.