1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Eclipse of the Sky by Firefawn - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Darius, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Xion

Xion Robot Overlord Admin

Eclipse of the Sky has been updated with a new chapter.

Story Stats
    Chapters: 69
    Words: 770,369
    Updated: 2018-10-19 15:26:19 UTC
    Published: 2006-05-03 03:24:55 UTC
    Previously updated: 3 days ago

Brought to you by Scryer story thread updates.

2. Xion

Story Stats
    Chapters: 70
    Words: 792,272
    Updated: 2018-10-30 06:22:46 UTC
    Previously updated: 11 days ago

3. RileyA

RileyA Squib

This is hands down my favorite fanfiction actually, but it sounds like there was a rewrite between now and when this thread was started. I can't speak to how it was before, but it is certainly amazing now.

The action scenes in this are frankly, second to none. I'd frankly challenge anyone to find better action scenes in a fanfiction. I've read over 1000 so that's why this one stood out so much. The details and dialogue just mix SO well. The author is also the MASTER of writing non-smutty make out scenes. Granted, all of these scenes do not start until around chapter 18, so if you got turned off by the OC mystery in earlier chapters and stopped reading just...man you've seriously missed out. That's all I can say on that.

As someone else mentioned the author went on hiatus, but there's a big difference between a few of the early chapters and the latter chapters and rewritten ones. From the notes the author has left they are still rewriting chapters 5 to 8, since they wrote them when they were fairly young it sounds like.

There's something about this story that really draws me in and made me extremely emotionally invested in it. To be honest it's downright stressful at times, but in a really good way. The evolution between Harry and the OCs relationship is just so well done, a slow burn, and you wind up rooting for them. It also has been, happily, devoid of the 'he loves her, she loves someone else' cliché drama. While there are a lot of potentially cliché plot points
    (zombies, time travel, an OC with a power)
    they are twisted in a very un-cliché way that has left me surprised and eager for the next installment.

The other unique thing here is they bring lesser known characters like Dean Thomas, Tonks, Remus Lupin, Luna, McGonagall, Madame Pomfrey, and Regulus Black to life. I've only seen a handful of stories do that successfully.

I also really like that the character is not a Mary Sue. She can only do one 'type' of magic, isn't that good at her classes, gets sick a lot, has poor social skills, and Harry seems to be the only one to think she's pretty, while Ron repeatedly gags and doesn't "get" the attraction. That's kind of refreshing given most female OCs are always 'gorgeous' creatures that everyone drools over.

I think the story must have been rewritten between when we both read it? The character nearly dies if she uses magic so I'd think the cons of it far outweigh the benefit.

I think that's a valid concern, but it is not the case with this story (it's well written throughout). I actually PMed the author to ask about that author's note when they posted it awhile back, as I was frankly fairly alarmed, and they struck me as very intelligent and matter of fact with their response. To be honest I was impressed by that, because my PM was a bit harsh initially. The impression I got is they have no tolerance for flame reviews (they said they get a lot of guest flames from people who haven't actually read their story, and they were able to tell because the reviews don't use the right OCs name) while never hearing anything genuinely constructive, so that's why they posted that note. I can't really fault them for taking a firm line on that, particularly since they were very open to true negative constructive critiques. My take at least.

Overall I guess I feel like it's a really good writing style with a bit of everything in the story. As I mentioned, this is my favorite fanfiction that I'm currently reading so I'll give this a 5/5.

4. Xion

Story Stats
    Chapters: 71
    Words: 806,539
    Updated: 2018-11-09 02:40:27 UTC
    Previously updated: 10 days ago