1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Empathic capacity of a teaspoon by bor902 - M

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by Outsider, May 4, 2019.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Outsider

Outsider Banned

Title: Empathic capacity of a teaspoon
    Author: bor902
    Rating: M
    Genre: Adventure/Romance
    Library Category: Adventure
    Pairings: none as of yet.
    Summary: Reincarnating with the gamer interface was all a part of the plan, being reborn as Ron Weasley not so much. It was something I could work with, sure. Magic is great! But as I would soon learn, it had the tendency of introducing a plethora of other issues.
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12962641/1/Empathic-capacity-of-a-teaspoon

Another SI recommendation from me. This time, it's a Ronald Weasley SI.

This fic has some interesting Magic. Lots of humorous character interactions, and gaming system. It's only 41k words as of now, so not much of a plot progression, but it's a interesting read nonetheless.

4.7/5, from me.

2. TMD

TMD High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

At this point there must be a generic copy-paste reply to people who come here and spam the review board with complete trash, just a nice summary of all the "hey this is DLP stop recommending garbage, take some time and lurk, look at the quality of stuff in the library, learn how to differentiate good and bad writing" stuff. Or maybe there could be a minimum post requirement to post new threads in Review Board? Then again that might just encourage spam elsewhere.

Anyway on this episode of fics that wasted my time, we have a 16 year old author that bizarrely after a few chapters loses the ability to write paragraphs longer than a single sentence or line. Towards the later "chapters" (air-quotes because 500 words isn't a fucking chapter), the author is basically writing the story in bullet points. The MC is your standard power-wank fantasy, compounded by the self insert aspect of it. Wandless magic from a young age, build your own wand, all that good stuff. There's a sneaky bit of off-screen ?paedophilia in there with the SI apparently unknowingly banging an underage Tonks who made herself look older the night before at a club. .

Here's an example of the "humorous character interactions":

Long story short @Outsider, if you wanna read sewage that's entirely your prerogative - I won't judge you, I liked HPMOR unironically - but you gotta learn the difference between objectively good and objectively whack if you wanna survive here.

3. Deltox

Deltox Banned

High Score:
    So, after I poo'd all over ur other fic I felt kinda obligated to give this one a read. So, right off the bat I'll tell you that I'm not a fan of SI fics. That's just a personal preference, but I think that if you want to read SI fanfiction you might as well read the Harry Potter books from Hermione's POV (even JKR couldn't resist the massive wank that comes with making yourself a Mary Sue). With that out of the way, I'm just gonna summarize a few key points of this fic out loud.

I wont even judge them, just state them out loud. Then you tell me if this sounds like something you'd want to read.

1. The length of chapters is horribly inconsistent. It jumps in between 400 words minimum and 4000 words at the most.

2. For the first FIVE chapters the whole narration is insane. He's literally an infant. No, I mean the author literally covers his infant years like someone else would write about Harry's First year, Second year and so on. He's nOT even an interesting baby! He just does baby things!

3. It has a 'gaming HUD overlain into the story. It's one thing to write "And then Harry's eyes glazed over as the bright and whirring windows of light came alive in his head, revealing all possible outcomes and statistics to him in an instant", and it's another thing to write, "Magical sense (passive) lv. 3 Exp: 68% - Sense the magic around you - range 3 inches -".

I'm gonna refrain from talking about this gaming overlay thing anymore cause its just frustrating. Like it's one thing to introduce a weird and complex thing (that readers have difficulty with) into a story for some purpose, like making it more interesting or a complex plot twist. Those aren't good either but they're a lot better than this mess of a concept that doesn't solve any problem, adds nothing to the story and just makes it harder to read.

4. I'm just going to stop making points and post some lines verbatim from the story:
    - "A month after that I was rewarded by my Magic stat increasing as well and I was finally able to effectively emit magic from my hands."
    - "What I had noticed about my sensing skill was that the higher level it became the better I could differentiate between types of magic and that it's range did not grow linearly unlike my stealth skill."
    - " "Turn back into your rat form and do what you have done for the last years, you will receive further orders tomorrow," I grinned down at the wand in my hand, evilly! "There are some things that need to be done now that I have access to my full power again." "
    - "I was nine years old when I finally got to see Diagon alley, heh, diagonally." (This one is the worst)
    - "Aging potion. ... I was going to use it to get laid." (with a 16 year old Tonks who, as it turns out, had done the same thing to fuck a 32 year old man possessing Ron's 9 year old body)

ALso yeah I saw that Tonks pedo scene. Nuh uh. Mhmmm that ain't wholesome. @Outsider this nasty. 1.2/5.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  4. Outsider

Outsider Banned

This aggression will not stand man.

And TMD, no need act like a connoisseur, your favorite story was once someone's drunken vomit on a keyboard.

5. TRH

TRH Groundskeeper

Being connoisseurs of fanfiction is literally why we're all here, as self-important as that may sound.

6. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    [​IMG]

But no, seriously. Lurk harder. No one has liked the three stories you have linked, Outsider. I don't know how you can enjoy stuff by Joe and VotN and still have such shit taste.

7. Outsider

Outsider Banned

Zenzao, Zenzao, Zenzao, why do you disrespect so much. What have I done to you?

8. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Disrespect? You clearly understood that what you have been submitting is not to the taste of our community, so rather than pause and consider why and whether what you were about to post would really be taken well here, you threw yourself into the pyre anyway and then have the chutzpah to argue that you aren't reccing dumpster fire.

What have you done to me? I present the following evidence: Exhibit A, Exhibit B, Exhibit C. Now kindly fuck off and stop shitting up the review board.

9. Outsider

Outsider Banned

My response..........

Go Fuck Yourself.

10. Agni

Agni Third Year

You need to cure yourself, dude.

11. ChronicallyInsane

ChronicallyInsane Second Year

inb4 the ban, but really anyone who unironically reads SIs as a denotation of quality is sort of asking for it in my humble opinion.

12. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Not open for further replies.