1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Entry #1

Discussion in 'Summer 2022 Flash Competition' started by Xiph0, Jul 12, 2022.

1. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Gold

Harry wished the guilt would drip down his back and down his shoulders and over his scapulas through the week-old bruises, over the bumps of his spine and into the folds of Susan's linens so easily as his sweat did.

Summers had become hotter in London with each year gone, and this tiny witchcraft flat didn't have anything to cool it but the single sash window squinting down at Whitehall. And they were high up. And heat, he had learned, rises.

Susan enjoyed the heat. Harry had learned that, too. He'd learned plenty about her over the last year—far more than he should have.

He knew which magazines she fancied having in the loo, and how many pairs of yellow socks she had (three-and-a-half), and what to write to her mum if she was too absorbed in her work to answer the daily check-up interdepartmental memo that fluttered down to Level Nine.

He knew the names of her dear deceased house-elves. He knew how many sugars went into her coffee. Knew what her throat felt like against his. Knew she didn't mind if his was a little bristly sometimes if he hadn't had a shave in a day or two. Knew the barely audible hmmm-ing sounds she made while working on her research.

And Susan Bones was altogether a quiet woman, but unabashed and firm, and would really lay into you if you got her snarled up by behaving in any manner she could not puzzle out the why of at once.

She'd never given him a difficult time about this, however, and it drove him three-quarters mad.

Harry gripped the edge of the bed frame, scratched a finger up and down the grain of the wood for a time, then bent his head slightly to watch with one eye as she watched him with both.

Susan had propped herself, chest down against the white-linen dressed mattress, up on her elbows with her sweaty, matted gold braid trailing down her shiny tanned back with a look of earnest calculation on her face.

"You could try... Exeter," she said. "Weren't most done half between Chudleigh and Starcross? If you were crafty enough—and I'd say he was—you'd be able to pass for muggle there. He might even have a stronghold... a lair, perhaps." Idly, she kicked a leg and laid it over her other. "I've been meaning to visit Starcross. Have you gone sailing before?"

Harry puffed a too-hot breath through his nostrils. Bare as she was born, covered in their mixed sweat runoff, her clothing wadded up in between her bed and night table, his squashed right next to hers, his fiancé away for summer training, and she wanted to talk about his investigation and whether they should go sailing together?

"Susan, I don't—"

"You haven't, you mean," said Susan.

"Haven't!" said Harry heatedly. "Haven't what? Gone sailing? No, I haven't—Susan, I don't want—"

"Balderdash," said Susan lightly. "The wind is cool on the channel, Harry. You'll be just fine." She sighed and crawled forward across the bed to reach for her wand atop the nightstand.

Harry quickly shifted his gaze away from her bared chest and back out her stupid tiny window; he heard her mutter a spell and felt a cool breeze stir in the room.

"Better?" asked Susan softly.

Harry felt her shoulder against his back, then her chin against his shoulder and her breath on his neck.

"A touch," said Harry gruffly. But he couldn't bring himself to move away; he couldn't lift a hand to move her, either. He was comforted by the weight of her; and nearly made sick by it.

"I'm almost certain you're only a few major investigations away from being named head of the office," said Susan. "The Minister can't hold it open forever, everyone in your department is always pelting away to ask leave for this matter and that thingy." She dragged her fingers over his arms and embraced him from behind. "Just yesterday I had to join a queue to have my statement approved." She snorted softly, as though the idea of queueing for the Minister's signature for her recollection was comical. "It simply cannot continue."

"Kingsley didn't even glance at it, I reckon," said Harry, touching her fingers. Her nails were lacquered storm cloud grey. "He was present when we cornered him down there—" He flicked at her thumb with his. "Perhaps you're right, he's doing too many things. We could have done for Jugson ourselves."

"And this new one," said Susan, "absolutely mad. Mounting witches on antlers in fields. When you catch him that might—"

"Who's to say it's a man," said Harry. "It might be a woman."

"Nonsense," said Susan flatly. "That's not at all how a woman would kill someone."

"And how would you know?" said Harry.

"I've killed seven Death Eaters, Harry," said Susan. "From a distance. With magic. Without getting a stain on my blouse. Why would I need to do something as unnecessary as mounting corpses and draining their blood? That's a very messy practice, you know."

Harry resisted the temptation to roll his eyes, her face being so close to his. "Then perhaps you should be the Auror and I'll be the Unspeakable."

"That wouldn't do," said Susan, squeezing his arms. "You'd never see me. I would hardly be home—"

"Like me?" said Harry softly.

Now he moved her hands from his and stood.

He was naked and hated it.

He put his hands on the windowsill muttering, "Bloody hell."

Susan's eyes were grey as her fingernails and soft. "Harry—"

"I've told you what Professor Dumbledore told me," said Harry quietly. "That I was able to do the things Voldemort couldn't because I could love—because even though terrible things happened to me, to our friends, to all those people—I was still able to—" He pressed his knuckles into the wooden sill until they were red. "And I've been—and we've been—how I can say I love Ginny and want to marry her if I could do this? How can I not think maybe Professor Dumbledore was wrong about me, that I'm not better than he was. That I'm no better than they are? How am I happy when I'm—"

"Are you?" Susan cut in. "Happy?"

"No," said Harry.

Susan sat upright on the bed. "I don't mean right this moment, Harry." She gave her wand a swish; clothing and bedsheets floated from their discard piles and started to arrange themselves neatly. "I meant when you're with me."

"Yes," said Harry automatically. He frowned. "Yes," he repeated. "Susan, you know—you knew—about me and Ginny, but you never asked me why we..." He flailed his arm about at the room.

Susan watched him quietly for a time, long enough to make Harry start to think she was going to snap at him for snarling her up again.

Instead, she said, "You're really very good at loving everyone all the same. And you really can't figure a way to hurt someone who doesn't have it coming."

"Why would I want to do that?" said Harry, his brow knitting.

Susan giggled.

It was an odd sound coming from her; he'd really only heard it a few times. Once while they had been at Hogwarts. Twice when he'd done something terribly embarrassing by mistake.

"There are different sorts of love, you know," said Susan matter-of-factly. "And some have to go both ways or else they don't work."

"And you're the authority on that, are you?" asked Harry, suddenly, inexplicably, incensed. "That's the sort they've got locked up in that room down there?"

Susan raised an eyebrow at his tone. "I work with time, Harry."

"I know that."

She smiled as though he'd stumbled right past some great secret, and shifted over to pull the drawer of her nightstand open. After a moment of rummaging, she came up with something in her fist.

"What's that?" asked Harry.

"A coin," said Susan, holding up one gold galleon.

"A coin?" said Harry.

"Yes, it does the same thing as the one you'd given us during fifth year." She held it out for him. "Only two, though, and I've got the other."

"Susan," said Harry, "I don't understand what a fake galleon has got to do with our situation at present."

"You should go to Exeter," said Susan. "And Ginny will be back by the time you've wrapped it up, I expect."

"Susan."

She stood and pressed the coin into his palm. "It goes both ways, but I've got mine sorted out." She folded his fingers closed.

"This is a real galleon," said Harry, running his thumb along the edge of the coin. He stared at it. "Isn't it?"

Susan prodded him. "Let me know when you've worked it out."

2. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I had to step away and think about this one, and I'm still not entirely sure what I think of it, but I know if I put it off more I'll probably forget about it. So. Can't really fault the writing - there's a couple of moments that are perhaps a bit overwritten (I'd trim the first sentence a little), but other than that it's all pretty well written. If I had reviewed straight away, I'd have commented on the reveal of Harry still being with Ginny being a bit of a swerve, but I realise I missed the bit about "his fiancé away for summer training,", so my bad. There's nothing else I'd really criticise, and yet...

I suspect that it's a case of me just not liking the concept of "Harry is unfaithful, feels bad about it", at least in the context of a flash fic, which is fair but unhelpful as a review/critique. I think it's a well done piece of writing; I just don't like it.

3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

1476 words

4. James

James Unspeakable

It's quite a bit… melodramatic. I would even called it angsty.

The setup is done well enough - perhaps with the exception of "scapulas", which was extremely out of place - the heat, the sweat, the sunshine. I can imagine (or remember, even) moments like this well enough. But then the guilt starts, and I'm just… bored.

I just don't see it happening, not like this, I guess. The setup - calling ginny fiancee and having a side relationship feels a bit forced. I can see Harry making a mistake, and being unfaithful, even see him - for some time - not being able to back out of relationship and feeling guilty about this, but susan/harry relationship feels quite underway, and I don't believe post-canon Harry would behave that, so the hand of the author isn't _quite invisible_.

5. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    harry, my man, my dude, my friend
    do magic about it

That makes it sound like she's amassed a collection of them.

All in all, I think it lacks resolution, really. There's sex, there's emotions, there's questions being raised - can you still consider yourself a good man if you're cheating on your partner while fully cognizant of that fact? What is "love"? Will Harry tell his baby don't hurt him, don't hurt him, no more? Why is Susan OK with being the fallback floozy? (Why Susan, anyway?)

I don't know. You've got the ingredients but halfway through the recipe you leave off. The ending feels abrupt, and while I realize that the likely cause is the words restriction, it doesn't change that you could've cut out other stuff (like the repeated references to a random serial killer) and had space left over for a stronger ending.

2.5/5.

6. haphnepls

haphnepls Seventh Year

Heavy-handed, in my opinion.

At spots, the sheer number of words seemed forced, almost purple. The whole heat thing give me a random Camus headache, I don't know why.

Other than that, it's an interesting situation, with interesting life choice from our protagonist and with an interesting dilemma in front of both us and Harry. The way you wrote it, all those questions almost come as afterthought, as a minute one has to take for himself after reading this short story, and finding his own answer, weather he liked it or not. I decided I did not, yet I liked the way I was forced to consciously make that decision so I guess kudos for that.

Man I went to read some bits again, to make my mind, and the hand is indeed heavy.

Good effort.

7. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Starts off a bit… odd? Like the description is very descriptive and I can feel the muggy heat and the sweat dripping down his back and onto the sheets. But it was also awkward to read? I think it’s a ‘polish your prose’ thing.

After that, when Harry is describing knowing her a bit too well, it starts to flow better and I’m more engaged.

I’m not a fan of Susan here, but that’s fine. She comes off as believable and that’s all I can ask. I can empathize with Harry here—he’s hot, doesn’t like it, and being forced into awkwardness. The conversation makes sense and flows fine but doesn't really grab me.

But it took me a minute to realize that he’s still with Ginny—I glossed over that at first, reading the line wrong—and I guess… eh? The story is reasonably written but... I guess it's not my thing?

There's nothing to make it stand out I guess, but it's fine in general.

8. peche

peche Squib

My, how florid.

You spend so much time trying to sell Susan, that you’ve neglected to sell Harry’s motives for cheating on Ginny in the first place. It just feels so unlike Harry to cheat on Ginny, and your attempt to make Susan desirable isn’t all that effective. The bit about the deceased house-elves gives me crazy old Mrs. Black vibes. Those details about her reading preferences, socks, coffee don’t do much to flesh her out as someone worth the trouble/guilt of cheating on your SO for. You’ve done a decent job of making her feel like a real person–albeit one who feels like a young Walburga Black–but again, the question is why? Why does Harry go after Susan? Since that fundamental question goes unanswered, Harry’s sweaty guilt situation feels way too contrived.

Your best strengths are in the dialogue and the character interactions. You’ve set the scene well and I have no trouble imagining two lovers enjoying each other’s company on a hot day.

9. Mr. Mixed Bag

Mr. Mixed Bag Seventh Year

I quite liked the prose overall, though it certainly has its moments rubbing the line of 'Too Much'. I really like the dialogue from a technical standpoint, in fact it was probably my favorite aspect of the story. Your Susan is one I like the character of, but I also don't see as very... Susan-like, at least insofar as she sounds a lot closer to a Slytherin or Ravenclaw than a Hufflepuff.

One part that threw me was the list of details Harry gives as knowing about Susan. They're fairly inventive, and the delivery flows, but all the same they feel like things that would come from living with someone. They don't seem like details you'd pick up throughout an affair so much, even a long-term one, which forced me to step back and reassess later in the story.

My biggest problem was I think the lack of change here. That's always the highest hurdle in flash, selling a change in such a short space. But really this felt like a snapshot, rather than much of a turning point, and I suppose that lack of stakes left me a bit bored, for much of it.

Still, I did enjoy the entry on the whole. Nice work.

10. Niez

Niez Competition Winner CHAMPION ⭐⭐

Now I will say that this is one of the most impactful openings I've read in a while, but I'm not sure its for the right reasons. I mean, I dunno, but I don't think you want the reader thinking about Harry's scapulas, and all for an overwrought metaphor (dripping guilt).

The rest of it is fine, I suppose, in so much I don't really understand what the story is about. I think you had something in mind, or at least the galleon ending suggests you did, but unfortunately, much like poor Harry, I just didn't get it. So to me, it reads like a disconnected scene, well written for the most part, but hardly a story, even a short one.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2022
  11. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

The opening sentence reads like a bad purple prose. The narrative feels like it jumps from topic to topic - almost like Harry is drunk and trying to get his bearing. But, I enjoyed it, and this could be a start of a longer fic.

12. LucyInTheSkye

LucyInTheSkye Seventh Year

I love your style of writing, big points for that! I agree with others it could have done with one more edit, but in general it’s a great pleasure to read! In particular I’m a big fan of the humour you use and another thing I dig is your focus on the grosser aspects of human bodies. I enjoy writing explicit to the point of it being uncomfortable myself, so even when there’s no smut at all that’s what it evokes for me. In this fic it serves the purpose on conveying the feeling of a stifling hot summer night particularly well.

I think you have a good grasp of the scant details we’re given about Susan in canon. She maybe reads a bit too ‘not like the other girls’ for me, but there are far worse things to be guilty of in my opinion. I think she works.

Harry, on the other hand, does not work at all for me. If this hadn’t been HP I would have said neat character, maybe add a bit of depth to him and you’re golden, but as it’s supposed to be Harry I don’t really know what to say… His words and thought processes feel really off. I actually can’t see him cheating, either, that doesn’t compute for me at all, whereas I think most of the other HP-characters I would’ve gone yes I can see it if you tell it well enough. Harry I really can’t.

I think you could’ve done a bit more with the ending, which is easy to say, but it did let the story down a bit I think. Heavy with HP symbolism but left too vague and I’m not intrigued enough to stop and think and figure out if there was a greater point to it (Hello pot, I’m kettle.)

13. FitzDizzyspells

FitzDizzyspells Seventh Year DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I am not a fan of that first sentence, but other than that, I think I liked this? I found their insights about love and cheating to be a lot less clever than they seemed to think their insights were, but then again maybe all cheating couples’ conversations about cheating make them look a little bit like idiots.

I am doing a very poor job of saying what I want to — that this dialogue felt very realistic and human, and so did Harry and Susan. Well done. That’s no easy feat. I hate both of them a little bit by the end, and that’s definitely a testament to the characterization, lol.