1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Entry #11

Discussion in 'Q3 Flash Competition' started by Xiph0, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

He came the morning of the Yule festival.

A tall cloaked form was striding towards the town. Harry was swooping up above on his broom when he spotted him, and suddenly Harry was struck with a sharp sense of unease at the sight of the man. His first thought was Dementor, but the cloak wasn’t ragged and nor was it floating so it couldn’t be.

As Harry headed home later, he reassured himself that the man in the cloak couldn’t have been anyone who was too much trouble.

Nothing bad ever happened in Godric’s Hollow after all. Despite that, he still felt uneasy.

He cheered himself up instead with the thought of the festival that was happening tonight. He would see his friends who didn’t live near the village again, and he was looking forward to enjoying it. With no thoughts of worries like dementors or dark wizards, the rest of the day passed in a blur.

That night, when the moon was high, they celebrated Yule, or just the Christmas festival as most people called it.

Wizards and witches from all over—instead of just the surrounding villages—would travel to celebrate it together. It switched yearly from between all the bigger towns. Personally, he preferred when it was at Hogsmeade most.

He’d get to see all his friends that he rarely saw unless his family went out of the way. Instead of just the kids his age in the town.

Harry was on his way to meet them when he saw the man in the cloak again, but this time his hood was down, and Harry realized he wasn’t a man at all. It was a boy only a few years older than him, with an angular face and coiffed black hair.

The boy was turned around peering down at the ceremonial boughs.

Harry walked up to him and said, “Hello, haven’t seen you around at one of these before.”

The dark haired boy’s head whipped around to face Harry and at first a strange look overtook his face. But then he smiled at him, “Yes, my family is rather solitary so I haven’t been to one of these before.”
    He reached out his hand and as Harry shook it he said, “My names Thomas Riddle, what’s yours?”

Harry had introduced himself, and before he knew it he’d brought Thomas over to his friends where they hung out in one of the meadows.

When he was called Tom a flash of anger passed through his face, though no one but Harry seemed to notice—and when he asked Thomas if he wanted to be called Tom he’d smiled and said it was no problem at all.

Tom fit in so smoothly to the group it was like he’d been there all along.

They’d gotten seperated from the rest of group during the rush to the feast. And as Harry idly pulled at one of the yew branches stuck to his robes the other boy asked him a question, “Do you ever wonder why muggles and wizards can’t live together?”

Harry answered this easily, “It’s better off for both of our kind if we stayed away. Especially after the dementor outbreak.”

“But still-”

Harry interrupted, “You’re not a muggle are you? So, why do you care?”

Tom gave him a look. Harry wasn’t quite sure what it meant but he knew the conversation was over.

Harry walked off to rejoin the rest of them but the further he went the more he kept thinking back to Tom. The expression on his face had been puzzling. Harry couldn’t figure it out if he’d been disgusted by the comparison or if he’d been disgusted at Harry.

So he doubled back, and he saw the other boy heading back into the forest instead of towards the feast.

Harry followed after him, more curious still about this strange older boy.
    He lost sight of him for a bit but Harry’s keen eyes finally managed to spot him, he was talking to someone even taller.

“It’s peculiar how they are so different here. I don’t think it’s necessary to instill fear.”

“That doesn’t matter, we’re still going through with the plan.”

Harry peeked through the trees, the man Tom was talking to looked like he could double for a twin even but he was years older than Tom. He must have been Tom’s older brother.

But there was one stark difference. Even in the moonlight, it was still dark so it was odd how bright the mans eyes were. The older man’s eyes were red.

And the red-eyed man rose his arm at shot off a spell into the sky. A dark green twisting shape squirming and forming into a shape above.

The uneasiness deepened in Harry and he started scrambling and outright running back into town. But he hadn’t even reached the edge of the forest before he saw the wave of dementors descending down.

2. haphnepls

haphnepls Seventh Year

The second half is far better than the first one. It started stilted, uncertain, and then as Harry met Tom, it gained some tempo, all up to the point where you timely made your point. But it's all a bit blank, isn't it? I think you've had more words available, and I think you could've used them to make this better. Add something to Tom. Add something more to Harry. Make it personal somehow. That's what this misses. It's almost like I smoke and watch this happen from the sidelines, only to shrug it off at the end.

3. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Wizards calling Christmas Yule is frightfully cliché, and rather than vaguely medieval world it makes me think it's a Pureblood Culture piece. Not necessarily something you can really 'fix' as such but something to take note of.

Frankly, this just misses the mark. Young Tom talks to Voldemort at the end and we learn this is a world where dementors roam freely and while that's neat, I don't know what's going on and you've not pushed me to really care too much one way or the other. Harry is a victim, yes, but as the reader knows barely more than he does about what's going on there's not much emotional investment possible.

In the end, I think it'd have been better to focus on Harry meeting Tom for the first time and what the result of that conversation is. If it's Tom who calls down the dementors you immediately tie it far more to Harry as he has to contend with the fact his new friend is capital-E Evil, and that seems like it'd have been more interesting.

4. Atri

Atri Groundskeeper

This story feels like it's all over the place. There are contradictions, like e.g. Harry first thinking it's a man and in the next sentence saying that he first thought that it was a dementor. Also, the point of the story isn't quite clear. So there are two Toms and an alternate version of Harry and the Toms have a plan. Suddenly, dementors. And...that's it. I just get the feeling that this story stopped in the middle before it got to its point. 2/5

5. Microwave

Microwave Professor

I’m genuinely not sure what this story is about. There are a lot of words and a lot of dementors but I don’t have any clue what the words and dementors are doing. Every single element of the story seems to be independent of all of the others, and it doesn’t feel like there’s any real progression.

1/5

6. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

819 words

(yay someone was on the lower end!)

7. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

A nice AU, with a revived horcrux, I'm assuming. The writing was sort of plain but the hints of worldbuilding were nice. And a naive child!harry is done well. 3.5/5

8. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

The general premise is interesting, but it was executed a bit crudely. The pacing seemed a bit off and the interaction between Harry and young Tom didn't feel right.

That is the second time in a few sentences you mention friends from far away. Given the tight word count you could of lost 1/3 of the words in the story and made it 30% better.

2/5

9. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

So an alternate timeline where Voldemort ... hmmm. I think canon!Voldemort came to a different universe / timeline (implied by not thinking they'd need to instill fear HERE) and sends his younger self (a horcrux restored?) out to meet Harry, who lives in Godric's Hollow still as a kid, apparently, implying his parents didn't die?

This is a great premise but I'm slightly lost as to what you were going for, here. This fic raises more question than it provides answers, and not necessarily in the good way.

That said I did very much enjoy kid!Riddle interacting with Harry and his friends. Your description of how he fit in as if he'd always been there was top notch, and I salute you for that characterisation and description.

10. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The opening felt pretty clunky, to be honest. There's a fair few statements that get reiterated very quickly, such as the bit about friends from far away, and the line about 'Yule, or Christmas' is pretty bad. That said, I felt there was a noticeable improvement in the latter half - whether that's just because the plot starts to pick up or it's actually better written, I'm not sure. It's an intruiging AU that I'd like to see more of. On the other hand, 'Proper Voldemort', for want of a better term, didn't quite feel right, and the ending is pretty abrupt.

11. Zel

Zel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    This entry needed more words. It tried to introduce too many things at once, in too short of a time-span. The beginning was too awkward and the ending was abrupt, so the highlight of the story was Harry's conversation with Tom, but it wasn't enough to make this an interesting story and left more questions than answers. 2/5

12. LucyInTheSkye

LucyInTheSkye Seventh Year

I like your premise a lot, and I would have liked to see more of what this universe is like and what Harry's life is like, and I think you could have fitted a little bit more of that into the story. I care about Harry and his well-being in this universe because his name is still Harry, but not as much as I likely would if I got to properly learn that he's just as great a guy now as he is in canon. I think by introducing another scene with him in the beginning, there would also be the possibility of building up more of a mystery as to who this boy is, if you wanted to. I thought the ending was alright, but some unrealized potential.

13. Dubious Destiny

Dubious Destiny Seventh Year

This story lines up perfectly with my tastes. Young Tom Riddle is suitably naive but still charming and manipulative. He's kept his sanity and the manner in which he probed wizard muggle relations before questioning Older Tom Riddle shows that. I like this Harry as well. He's curious (just like canon) and perceptive. I like the horror vibes of the plot as well. I would definitely like to see this expanded in a full-fledged story. My rating for is 4.5/5 rounded up to 5/5.

14. FitzDizzyspells

FitzDizzyspells Seventh Year DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I'm not really invested enough in this AU Harry Potter to care that something terrible (a Dementor outbreak) is about to reemerge in his life. I need to see him with his family, I need to see how the past has traumatized his society.

I'm also frustrated that we got no hint of the antagonists' motivation. Why does Voldemort want to restart this Dementor outbreak in a parallel universe? I could make some guesses, but you provide me with no hints.

It's an interesting premise, but without A) connecting me with the characters or B) giving me a glimpse into the antagonists' motivation, I can't really care about the story.

15. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    I'm surprised by all the negative reviews on this one, I actually liked it a ton! I thought you had the characterization of a Harry raised by his parents down really well. I also liked that you didnt walk down the trope of him being a spoiled brat. He was still a decent kid... just different.

Sure there is a lot unanswered in this story. But I found myself intrigued, not confused. It doesn't feel like a complete story, which is maybe what put some off? But if it was the first chapter of a longer alt-timeline i'd be eagerly turning to chapter two.