1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Entry #3

Discussion in 'Q2 2019' started by Rahkesh Asmodaeus, Jun 14, 2019.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

What did you do?

------------------------------------

Hagrid sighed deeply as the boat approached the shore, its edges only just above the water. Las' time I wen' ter a little island on a boat, mighta been the happiest day o' my life.

The dark stone of the spiral tower was wet with rain, and for the same rain the Hit Wizards were shouting, though their words had not grown terribly more distinct for all their effort. Bleedin' bureacrats- jus' shut up, it ain't worth it. Still bound, he walked through several detection checkpoints, likely looking for wands or dark artefacts. All his life he had stayed away from dark magic, so he did not expect they would find anything of interest, nor would they bother to deprive him of some empty potion bottles he kept to contain cures for toxins found in particularly interesting creatures. He was lucky enough that they did not detect what remained of his wand.

His trial had been quick and without particular attention paid to the facts discovered by the investigation. He had gotten off by the skin of his teeth last time, and only because he had been a minor. It had always been his view that Dumbledore had been able to work a real miracle in keeping him out of trouble, citing hundreds of reasons that he was the least likely possible suspect of being the Heir of Slytherin, he had only just managed to counteract the naked prejudice of the court. Several members of the Wizengamot had insisted that he should be tried as an adult for no reason other than being 'bigger than one by about four stone'.

"State your name!" an Auror shouted, probably for the third time at least.

"Yeh know who I am, Rob. Rowed yeh an' yer little girlfriend across the lake back in, what was it, '82?"

The magical prison guard gave a brief sidelong glance before shouting that he was clear of dark artefacts. Can't believe they think I need any 'o those. Really shoulda checked fer another dragon egg, seein' as I'm not allowed to keep 'em anywhere. Cadswallop.

Wrought iron gates opened and someone with a greater appreciation for symbolism might have seen something else, but Hagrid saw a cage for keeping dangerous monsters. As they led him through the tunnel of an entrance, which he imagined could be collapsed if need be, he prepared his eyes for the darkness.

Dementors moved about silently, but he could tell they were excited. All my life I've been studyin' creatures, an' they're all misunderstood, every last one of 'em. Don't mind the trolls; mostly, they know how to keep to themselves, pointin' and gruntin' at each other. People think they're blood thirsty buggers, but not really.

He passed between the shades, an odd feeling of forgetfulness passing over him.

Centaurs don't lose sleep over anythin' closer'n the moon, but they jus' want their woods an' everyone else out of it. People think they're dull. Can't say much good fer trolls, but centaurs are bloody brilliant in their own way.

The ground floor of the tall spiral was the same width as the rest of them, but this seemed to make no difference.

Dementors are the worst understood of 'em all. See, people think they can control 'em. They're kiddin' themselves.

As he was led up the central twisting stair, he saw no empty cells, guessing they needed to take him to the very top to find an open space. Before arriving he had figured those who had been subject to the Kiss were not fed or given drink, and as such were treated like the dead and heaved out a nearby window. In this sense, anyone the dementors had eaten to their satisfaction was like enough to a corpse, and of no further use to the masters of the prison.

In that light, it became easier to see how cells opened up.

They're kiddin' themselves 'cause it's been the dementors controllin' them the whole time. If they didn' feed 'em somebody, they'd be eatin' on somebody else.

Hagrid did not mention this to anyone at Hogwarts, nor did he like to think about it, but he kept a few silver bolts in his quiver for werewolves. There was a flask of rum in his coat pocket in case he ever needed to go after a Hidebehind, one of the creatures he had suspected was killing the unicorns. He even had a cucumber in a jar in his hut in the unlikely event he ran into a kappa.

Dementors, however, could not be killed. As a result, they had no fear of wizards.

Ah, it wouldn' be the firs' stupid thing the Ministry's ever done.

His cell was minuscule and cut into the stone, which he knew was enchanted up and down with curses and wards and whatever else to prevent escapes. Wandless magic was forbidden, of course, but it was common knowledge only the most capable wizards could do it anyway. He had to duck as he entered, and to his displeasure he had to remain at half height until he sat down, guessing the treatment he was receiving violated some law somewhere that no one had read since it was written.

Leas' they didn' put me in a zoo. Woulda been among friends, but I wouldn' enjoy the implication.

Exhaling as if he had held his breath the entire time, he looked out the window, watching as the rain cleared. Azkaban was a dreary place, as he understood it, because the warding was so thick it kept out what little sunlight might have shone on a damn island in the North Sea, but it let the rain pass through. Birds were flying right by his window, and he guessed most animals could pass unhindered, else the muggles would notice before long, even if they did not let on. Don' know why everyone thinks they would. If I found an interestin' creature in the wood an' I didn' know what it was, I'd wanna watch it fer a little while.

He did not talk about Azkaban as often as he did anything else, but he had an at least cursory understanding of how the prison worked. Meet enough wizards tryin'a sell yeh illegal dragon eggs and yeh hear a bit about the place.

"What did you do?" a voice from the next cell over asked.

"Nothin'." he muttered reflexively. A cold laugh responded. Shouldn' expect ter be believed. "Well, 'parrently it ain' legal ter take a liking ter magical creatures. Gets yeh in a world 'o trouble, it does. Kill an Acromantula and yeh'll get on the cover o' Witch Weekly. Befriend one and yer on a list fer life."

The man was laughing again, though maybe what he had said was genuinely funny. Didn' mean fer it, but 'e probably ain' laughed in years.

"What abou' you?"

There was a pause.

"It's a long story."

"I got time. Well, not a lot, my friends'll get me out."

"I've heard that one before." the other man said, a note of curiosity in his voice.

"Not those kinds o' friends." Hagrid muttered. "My friends are a little band o' misfits that don' care what anyone thinks. They call me Hagrid for some reason, never asked why. Fer the rest of them it's always Mr. Hagrid or Groundskeeper sir. Never cared much fer titles." he explained, thinking about it. "My friends don' neither, Harry didn' from the day 'e was born. Didn' know about his titles o' course, prob'ly better of that way, s'what Dumbledore always said."

A long silence followed, or at least it felt long.

"Tell me about Harry."

"Well, 'sfunny yeh should ask, since 'e's not known fer bein' my friend. 'e's known fer beatin' Voldemort when 'e was just a baby."

"Strange. How did you get to know this Harry? I don't recognize your voice from anywhere, so I don't believe you are a public figure."

"Well, jus' about straight after 'e killed Voldemort I took him ter his new home with Dumbledore. I was worried 'e'd be scarred or somethin', but he fell right asleep over Bristol. Lucky 'is family took 'im in. Not the nicest folk, but they took 'im." He paused before continuing, not hearing any audible reaction. "Met up with 'im a few years later when I had ter go get 'im. Turns out the muggles didn't like 'im much, an only fer bein' a wizard. Nothin' I ain' seen, but, well, I guess I wasn' happy 'is own family'd treat 'im like that."

"Do you think they would treat him like that if they knew he had friends?"

"Ah, they know, but they know more'n that. Tried ter keep a lid on it, but there was this elf... well, they'd a found out sooner or later we couldn' really do anythin'."

Silence came again, and it came for a long enough time that Hagrid decided he might as well try to get some sleep. He was not tired, and he expected he would find it hard enough with how cold it was, but he would have to learn to sleep all the same.

"I wouldn't recommend sleeping here." the man's voice said quietly. "It'll keep you from going mad, but the dementors can prey on you more easily. You'll have to get yourself so tired you can sleep without dreaming."

"Thanks, friend." he responded, surprising himself as much as anyone else. He heard some heckling coming from another cell, possibly other inmates paying witness to their conversation. Nothin' I ain' heard before. "I mean it. It's right good of you."

There was no response.

He supposed he was living proof that not everyone in Azkaban was a bad man. Perhaps the other man had felt remorse for his crimes, or perhaps he too had been falsely convicted. Even as a young boy he had been no stranger to unfairness, and he could imagine a hundred reasons someone could lose a trial he really should have won. Blood would matter to some people on the Wizengamot, same with being a werewolf or a vampire, probably a half giant as well, though the evidence against him was pretty bad when he thought about it. He knew he was the only suspect both times, hardly a convenient position, and he was also known to have a passion for magical creatures, even then. There was a wizard in the year below named Selwyn who was injured by an Erumpent while in Africa, and for the life of him he could not figure out how it had been the beast's fault, especially when everyone knew they were a bit aggressive, in a playful way.

He had always taken the utmost care not to harm the creatures he was studying, even the ones who made it clear they would rather be left alone. Old Aragog took years to realize he sympathized with the notion from time to time, though he longed for friends who understood him. He remembered meeting the family of Acromantulae in the Forest not long after he had released his friend, and he remembered laughing when they told him he was too much a wizard to be recognized as a friend, though Aragog interceded.

Hagrid chuckled at the irony of the memory, then struggled to bury it deep as a dementor approach, warning him with its bone chill. He was no master of the mind arts, nor was he particularly good at concealing things, but he knew a thing or two about the creatures. Proper term's 'non-being', so they say in the books. Don't particularly care for bright light. Right bleedin' cowards too, can't stand anythin' tha' might threaten 'em. His fingers were on his umbrella, but he knew if he used it, he would only be in more trouble, and not for a false accusation.

"Yeh weren't falsely accused too, were yeh?" he asked, not knowing when the other man would go to sleep.

"They don't know what I did." he responded at length. "I know what they think they did and I know I'm innocent, but I am not a good man. My faults are many."

"What do yeh mean?"

"Is it worse to be a bystander when something bad happens or do it yourself?"

Hagrid entertained the question honestly. Ethics had never been a great strong suit of his, not when everything seemed pretty black and white, at least most of the time. The trouble was that there were other people with bichromatic vision, and they rarely agreed with him about anything.

"I don't know. Reckon they're about the same."

"It's something that's been plaguing me for years." the wizard's voice revealed. "Am I guilty? How guilty am I?"

Yeh've had too much time ter think about it.

"Yer thinkin' yeh might be guilty because you could done somethin'?" Hagrid asked, not expecting to understand it. Man's talkin' ter himself. He decided it was most likely he was just an informant who never really gave out any answers, or at least none the Ministry did not already know.

"Yes. It's possible that I really do belong here."

A long silence followed.

"Yeh know, it might be yer the only one thinkin' that." he supposed in a joking voice, thinking of how the man had laughed when he told him he had done nothing. Yeh'd think that's what yeh'd always hear outta prisoners. Makes sense, really, if yeh think there's any chance at all someone'll take yer story seriously. Can't just go admittin' it ter everyone in prison.

Strangely, though, the joke did not land. Hagrid allowed a few moments to pass before speaking again.

"Bein' honest, maybe yeh should feel guilty abou' somethin', but that doesn' mean yeh need ter go ter Azkaban fer it." he advised, thinking of his own past mistakes. "Do yer best ter be better an' don' make the same mistakes again."

"I don't have the opportunity. I couldn't make the same mistake again if I tried." He let out a long breath before speaking again. "The thing is, I'll never get out of here by showing remorse for the reason I'm here."

"Well, no, they mostly don' let yeh out ever. Mostly yeh jus' die here." Prob'ly one o' them mad Death Eaters if 'e doesn' even feel bad about it. They'll be here 'till the dementors all die. He knew as much as he cared to absorb about their ideology. What he understood was reprehensible enough.

Nothing was said for a while as he assumed the other man was going to sleep. Per his advise, Hagrid stayed awake, staring across the way at the assortment of criminals who had been locked up for one reason or another. In more than a few cells there was a sleeping husk of a man, and he wondered what exactly warranted his placement in a maximum security prison for dark wizards. Might be 'e was dangerous a long time ago. Well, might be 'e was innocent.

One particularly interesting cell across from him featured a grey-haired wizard in dark robes with a completely blank expression on his face. He was sitting cross-legged, and it seemed doubtful the man had moved in days. Occlumency. Guess tha's one way o' keepin' out the dementors.

He often wondered how much further he might have gone had he been allowed to stay in school, but he had not allowed himself to hope that he would ever be entirely exonerated. Startin' ter look like I was right. They don' ever mean ter let me off the hook, not after all these years... here I am, alone in the dark.

Night passed slowly.

If the dementors had decided to ignore him, he would feel left out sometime after he bothered to find out why.

The other man was badgering the passing guards about something, but it seemed unimportant.

"They're just checking to see if I'm alive." he explained as they went away. "Are you still alive?"

"Were you talkin' ter the Minister himself?" Hagrid asked, thinking he had recognized the hurried walk of Cornelius Fudge.

"Was I? How many have they had since I came here? Three? Seventeen?"

"Don' really keep track o' politics myself. Never really liked any o' them."

"Neither have I." the other wizard muttered.

"Hah!"

"What?"

"I had you fer a Death Eater about half an hour after we met."

"Well, why would I like them? They left me to rot in here, and not for any crime I committed. Really, they had a few they could have picked."

"Sure, like muggle baitin' an' bein' a jerk ter everyone not as pure as you?"

There was no answer, and Hagrid decided he would allow as much time as necessary for his new friend to respond. Whatever the man believed, it was entirely unimportant, since he was never getting out. Way I see it, even someone who didn' like makin' friends'd have two choices. Talk ter the man who's willin' ter talk ter yeh, or not talk ter anyone forever. Seems like an interestin' fellow anyway.

"I'm not a good man, Hagrid. There are more kinds of people than good people and Death Eaters."

"Well, there's everyone tryin' ter throw werewolves in 'ere fer no reason."

"Hear, hear."

He was confused for a moment, but remembered a possible explanation the wizard would personally know werewolves.

"Almost forgot Voldemort got werewolves to fight for 'im. Giants too, if I'm right abou' that." He shook his head, not caring that no one could see him. "It's mad. Couldn't tell you how 'e did it." At one time he had thought it a certainty that no wizards seeking to place wizards above all magical creatures would ever have a ghost of a chance, but the main thing they seemed to be trying to do was place one wizard over another, and the werewolves were in favor, probably figuring they would be better off if the Ministry were distracted. There were other reasons, of course, the giants were rarely treated well by magical government, and to some of them Voldemort might have represented a return to the old ways, where giants and wizards would live with some degree of grudging mutual respect, fighting for their lands with clubs instead of notarized forms, submitted in triplicate by the appointed date.

Of course, the giants were just as prejudiced as wizards when it came to 'half-breeds' like himself.

He had visited giant settlements on multiple occasions during the war, finding them cold and only grudgingly adhering to their own rules of hospitality, which he had learned to navigate. One of the gentler ones had been kind enough to tell him that his sort was unwelcome, a visual representation of two irreconcilable societies that should not be blended. He had been around fifty years old at the time and asked where exactly he did belong, if not with wizards and not with giants, having never considered this matter previously. The giant sighed, explaining that the prejudiced had probably never spared a thought for what the half-breeds should do or could do to better themselves; their very existence was a perceived threat to the giants and their way of life.

It was perhaps the darkest hour in his life, more so even than being kicked out of school, as the great Albus Dumbledore had made a mistake in sending him instead of a human, and all because of his parents, one of them still alive, though he never saw her. He had been able to bear the injustice of his wand being snapped because he had been the sole victim of that decision, but in failing to gain the support of the giants he had quite possibly doomed the whole of the wizarding world. As a young man he had hoped the giants were in the right about most things, and that wizards had a monopoly on cruelty, but he had only to look at his own parents to see that in some cases, it was the opposite. As the gentle giant explained what half-giants represented to their society, he had realized his own mother probably wanted nothing to do with him.

It would have to be a truly desperate time to drive him back across the Channel, to meet with the giants once more.

"Well, the way the Ministry treats werewolves, I would hardly be surprised to see them siding with anyone against the status quo."

They've only made the same as I did, thinkin' the enemy 'o my enemy'd be my friend.

"Got werewolf friends? Figures."

"I'm not a Death Eater."

It seemed a meaningless statement, but that did not matter. 'e was sayin' not every bad man is a Death Eater. Should've figured I'd be stuck in 'ere with someone bad.

The man's words stayed with him for days, though he spent most of it wondering what it was he had said, if the silence between the cells was his fault after all. It was possible, of course, that the other man simply was not much for talking, and he could respect that, since he had every expectation that it got easier to stay silent over time, and it seemed his new acquaintance had been in Azkaban a fair bit. It would take him longer to get used to it, to be sure, but at least the place lacked a pub. Prob'ly fer the best. Can't imagine why anyone out there'd be willin' ter pay fer it.

He could wait.

Wait he did.

Hagrid felt the chill of the dementors before he saw them, but their presence was only that. They were guided by the familiar light of a patronus, and Cornelius Fudge himself, followed by robed wizards he recognized as Aurors.

"Evenin' Minister." he said politely. It is, right- oh damn, I don' remember. His greeting was met with a diplomatic squint. "Somethin' the matter?"

"It is quite time to question you, Mr. Hagrid. There has been another attack at Hogwarts."

"Who?!" he asked, pressing against the bars and making everyone on the other side draw back. The politician's stiff upper lip was replaced by a look of bewilderment, though it faded soon enough.

"It appears it was one Ginny Weasley. She has disappeared." one of the Aurors said.

"No..." he slumped back in his cell, feeling the palpable ease return to the voices and demeanor of those who had come to visit. He would not want anyone to die from the efforts of the Heir of Slytherin, but it always seemed worse when it was a first-year. It was perfectly apparent Harry and his friends could take care of themselves, but it was not something that could really be expected of them. "Wai ta minute. Isn' she a pure blood?"

"It goes against the direct implication of the trend, yes, but it is still possible the Heir of Slytherin would have animosity toward families traitorous of their blood status." one of the Aurors explained. Usin' big words like I don' understand 'em. Yeh ain' the firs'.

"Well, why's she disappeared and not found? Rest of 'em were-"

"It may be that her unfortunate fate is the same, and her petrified form is yet to be discovered. What is manifest to us is that your involvement renders itself almost certainly mendacious, farcical to conceive." It's really not that clever, yeh know. I got about three o' those words.

"Yer sayin' I don' belong here? Coulda asked anyone."

"Now, now, Mr. Hagrid, the Ministry had to act." Cornelius Fudge reasoned with him. "You were associated with the previous event and narrowly escaped justice at the time-"

"I didn' escape justice, yer thinkin' of Azkaban. No evidence, no conviction. Seems like justice ter me."

Nothing was said for a moment.

"What we need to know is where the monster might have taken the girl." an Auror redirected. He might have recognized her voice. "The school no longer insists on handling the matter internally, not after the Headmaster was suspended." Bleedin' gov'nors. Couldn't a been anyone else.

"Well tha's only gonna make it worse!" he objected.

"The only way to make it better is to give us some idea of what kind of monster we're up against."

"Well it's not a ruddy Acromantula, they're bleedin' harmless. Predator hunts ter kill, not capture. What yer lookin' fer is a reptile- cockatrice, drakon, basilisk, maybe even a runespoor; I'd prepare for anythin'. Slinks around the school unnoticed, so it's prob'ly afraid of large numbers. Nothin' yeh can't kill if yeh can find it."

"Where would it have taken the girl?"

"No idea. Was lookin' for the bleedin' thing fer the better part o' the year. Wherever it is, it can get outta there sharpish. Most o' me traps were-"

"Why would it take the girl instead of trying to kill her?" one of the Aurors asked, interrupting.

"Yeh can ask 'im when you find 'im. Yer not gettin' any closer in 'ere."

The Ministry officials disappeared, almost certainly deciding there were slower ways to get nowhere. Hagrid had his doubts the investigation would even make it to Hogwarts before the year ended and the students all went home, where they would be far from whatever threat the Heir of Slytherin posed, at which point the Aurors would hardly be rescuing anyone. He would be long out of prison by then, as soon as cooler heads put together that he would never harm Ginny Weasley, and there was really no evidence against him in the first place. On the outside, he could resume his own investigation. A Red Cap would be able to tell him if the young witch had died, if she died violently, otherwise he would have to rely on Fang, whom he had trained to sniff out ectoplasm.

There had not been a death in Hogwarts since he had been there, and there was sure to be another ghost.

"What was all that?" the voice in the other cell asked.

"They're just gettin' it out that they know I don' belong here."

"Glad to hear it, friend. Would that I knew they would ever say that about me. I never even had a trial."

"It wasn' anythin' special. Don' feel too left out." Trial didn' help much when they'd already decided how it'd end. Basic'ly just a means to an end o' puttin' people in here.

"Crouch would never have given me a trial, even if he knew he could put me away. My imprisonment had to be as quiet as possible." Guess tha' makes me the opposite. Tossed me in 'ere just ter make it look like they're doin' somethin'.

"Mine was a ruddy show." Hagrid muttered back, condensing his thoughts. "Trial was abou' as pointless as puttin' me in here. Can't imagine it'll look good fer the Ministry when they let me out. Didn' save face so much as borrow it." The notion earned a chuckle from the other prisoner.

"In that case the loan they took from me is past due. If I ever get out of here, I'll look you up, Mr. Hagrid." Doesn' he remember me from Hogwarts? Might be 'e was never there.

"Might be I'll look you up." he offered, trying to get the man's name. He had an idea he would be out soon, and for that he needed to make plans. They don' call me Grounds Keeper fer nothin'. I'll deal with this beast 'fore the Ministry knows where ter find it or I'll eat me kettle. His new acquaintance, however, would most likely never get out, not if he was imprisoned during the war. He remembered old Sturgis Podmore telling Dumbledore Azkaban was worse than death, and that was one of the main reasons.

"I'm the same as anyone else who never had a trial, I'm afraid. It doesn't matter what we did, because none of us belong here." the voice said with an odd sense of conviction.

"Spose yer right. I'll do me best ter remember that not everyone in 'ere is guilty, not everyone guilty had a trial, and not everyone who had a trial was guilty. Anythin' I'm forgettin'?"

"If I think of anything, I'll tell you when I get out."

"See that yeh do."

The dementors had disturbed Hagrid, but their influence had been more subtle than he had realized, or even expected, as he had gone in thinking they would be directly preying on him day in and day out. It had come in the form of remembering his most painful experiences, made worse somehow as though seeing it through a madman's mirror. His last few days he spent planning and organizing his thoughts, doing his best to remember that he was innocent on the advice of his strange new acquaintance, though his knowledge of their passing came only in the form of the bowls of gruel they would receive, assuming his initial supposition was correct in that they were passed out twice a day.

The man in the other cell was no more of what he would pick for a friend than the fare was what he would pick to eat or the dementors for creatures to study, but such was the nature of Azkaban, and prisons in general, he supposed. He was relatively sure the wraiths did not keep themselves half-starved of their own accord, but rather because the warden had some interest in keeping prisoners alive, likely for visitors. Hagrid understood that you could at least bargain with them, if not reason. Mebbe I'll try fer Care of Magical Creatures after old Slyvanus has had enough. Keeps sayin' so, anyway. Won't be showin' the kids any of these buggers, but they'll learn about 'em. Better sooner 'n later.

Leaving the same way he came in, he stared up at the freakishly tall tower.

Not gonna miss yeh, Azkaban. Not fer all the Hippogriffs in the world.

2. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I really like the idea of telling a story around Hagrid's stay in Azkaban.

One problem, though, is that sometimes I feel like there's a mismatch between the narration and Hagrid's thoughts? Sometimes you have words that I don't think Hagrid is erudite enough for in the narration. "Reprehensible", for instance.

Also, I think you could've made a lot more of Hagrid deciding to take on the job of teaching. As it is it feels a little like there's no real conclusion, just a look into Hagrid's head while he's (quite literally) sat in Azkaban, talking with Sirius. I don't think he actually learned that much from the conversation, either. Sirius might have, but we don't get a look straight into Sirius' brain so at best that's sort of muted.

I'd also expected a lot more catharsis from the moment where the guards came to tell him he was being released. That's kind of been omitted, while I'd expect that to be kind of a showstopper. As is the piece just sort of stops.

Still, I'd rate this easily a 3/5.

3. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Summary:

Well... fuck. I honestly don't know what to think with this one. On the one hand, it's honestly a good concept, and it's written pretty well, and it captures much of what makes Hagrid an interesting character. But on the other, just what the fuck was going on?

I presume that this is supposed to be canonical, but if so, why the fuck don't Hagrid and Sirius recognise each other? They knew each other pretty well, all told. To the point where Hagrid was one of the last friendly faces that Sirius saw before he went to prison (lending him his motorcycle no less), and half a year later Hagrid ends up in the Three Broomsticks calling Sirius a traitorous shit (or words to that effect).

I suppose there's a slim chance that 12 years in Azkaban has altered Sirius' voice to the point that it's no longer recognisable, but surely Sirius must realise who Hagrid is from his incredibly distinctive accent. I even re-read it to make sure I hadn't missed some subtle clue that their voices were being modulated, or that Sirius had realised who Hagrid was, but was, for reasons known only to himself, keeping quiet on the issue. Then I re-read it with the idea that it might be someone else in the cell, but no, it seems reasonably clear that it is Sirius.

I am honestly baffled by this; I was all prepared by the end of the first few paragraphs to declare this the slam dunk winner of the competition, and then rather than slamming the ball through the net, you decided to try and bite the rim.

Developmental

You honestly have the setup for a pretty great story. Hagrid's experiences in Azkaban are actually an interesting missing section of canon that we never really get closure on. Sirius states that Azakban is easier if you're innocent, because the dementor's can't take that thought away, and so the juxtaposition of Hagrid's stay should be interesting stuff.

However, you never really get around to capitalising on it. You wind up for some epiphany, or an emotional pay off, and then the punch doesn't land. It's like 5,000 words of foreplay that leave you absolutely blue-balled at the end.

I am so fucked up by this story, I'm not even sure I can articulate it. Don't get me wrong, it's still fine but you came so close to writing a great short story, arguably one of the best ever submitted for a DLP competition, and then rather than having some sort of climax, you just let it gasp a quiet death.

My only real advice for you in terms of development is BEGINNING. MIDDLE. END. Build your story to a pay-off that isn't just 'and he left, ttyl'.

Actually, I lied, there is another point here to be made. Towards the end of the story, you say 'remembering his most painful experiences, made worse somehow as though seeing it through a madman's mirror.' Don't tell us this, show us this. One of the best, best things about dementors from a narrative point of view is that they legitimise filling your writing full of flashbacks. This would have made this story so, so much stronger if you could grab some unpleasant memories from Hagrid and use them to build a cogent narrative with a satisfactory ending

Stylistic

Your writing is 90% fine and 10% absolutely atrocious. Read your shit, to yourself, out loud. Have someone else read it. Get as many eyes on it as possible. Then EDIT. EDIT. EDIT.

If you don't do this, you end up with sentences like this:

'The ground floor of the tall spiral was the same width as the rest of them, but this seemed to make no difference.'

Which presumably made sense in your head, but doesn't mean anything to me.

It's a genuine problem. There are parts of your prose that are actually incoherent. Reading them aloud, or having someone else read it, would iron out these issues immediately.

The only other problem I really noticed was the huge paragraphs of exposition, which would have been easily solved by resolving the point above about flashbacks and dementors. Dementors are a great narrative device, they allow you to show; so use them!

Conclusion:

As you can probably tell, I'm super frustrated by this story, because it was nearly good, but in the end, was basically meh. It's easily the best in the competition I've read so far, but objectively it's ended up not all that strong. I think I'd probably give this a 3, nearly on the cusp of 4, but still not all that great.

With each story in this competition, I'm going to give two pieces of advice that an author can actualise upon, and immediately improve their story. So here are yours:

1) WRITE. A. FUCKING. ENDING. This story had a boat-load of potential, but it was absolutely squandered. I don't know if you don't know how to write an ending, or you just couldn't think of one, so you let it trail out, either way this story is dying for one. If you don't know how to write endings, there are plenty of resources online to explain how to set up and execute the climax of a character piece. Honestly even just a rudimentary knowledge of story structure would probably have saved this piece.

2) Nail the fundamental workflow of writing. Idea -> Plan -> Execution -> Revision. Some, or all, of these links in the chain were flawed along the way somewhere. There should have been a stronger idea, a better plan, and the failure should have been caught during the revision process.

The final thing I want to say here, is that you should take heart from this. All writers suck at story structure unless they have learned to do it. Some of us even suck at it after years of practice. My criticism here is borne of my own frustration with the same process. You evidently have natural talent, but that is not enough. Reading, learning, practice, and hard work will make you into an excellent writer.

4. Microwave

Microwave Professor

It's a pretty nice characterisation of Hagrid, I think it really captures his personality well. It's a nice part of canon that's pretty rarely explored.

Not much happens in the story, I feel like the plot should have led to some sort of climax before Hagrid was released from the prison. Like what BTT said, Hagrid's stay in Azkaban should be some sort of growing experience for him, allowing him to become a better, or a changed person after his release, but he sort of just shrugs it off at the end. The probably should have been some sort of moment of revelation, or some sort of way he had to adapt to the conditions of Azkaban, but most of it is just focused on him being there instead of doing anything. Maybe there could have been a scene at the end with Hagrid's reflection on his time there or something.

It also kind of feels like there's not really enough about how Hagrid feels about being in Azkaban, think more needs to be put on his dread and abject horror of being sent their, and his pure relief when he's finally let go.

It's mostly pretty well-written, and the idea is interesting, so I'd give it a 3/5.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  5. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

It's an interesting character piece about Hagrid, and his experiences in Hogwarts, but at the same time how come Hagrid and Sirius don't know who each other are? Sirius literally handed Harry to Hagrid.

There's also not a lot that's going on in the story. The whole time I was reading I was waiting for the "Why should I care" and it never came. It's interesting as a character piece to get into Hagrid's head, to see the world as he does, but without marrying that to some sort of plot, there's not real tension in the story. He isn't forced to reflect on himself, on the consequences of his actions, or even to swear bloody vengeance Count of Monte Cristo style on all those that wronged him.

He also doesn't do much besides talk. There's no attempt at escape, no attempt at finding out some sort of information, no real climax in terms of why he's there. He just...talks and is there and thinks.

His emotions towards things also feels flat. I'd expect a more visceral reaction being sent to the worst place on earth for what I assume, from his perspective, isn't really a crime. This is the place for bad people, and he isn't that.

It reads like slice of life, except the slice of life is in Azakaban and he's surrounded by monsters. This is pretty well written, and the characterization is executed well. It just doesn't give me a reason to care.

There's so much potential with this piece that feels squandered.

2.5/5, rounding up to 3/5.

6. Raigan123

Raigan123 Banned

I like this. It is a very interesting look into the mind of a character that I usually avoid like the plague. His accent is just unbearable to read, but if you leave it out he would no longer be Hagrid.

To the story itself: It very monotonous. He enters Azkaban. He is inside. He leaves. Perhaps he could have realized he was talking to Sirius Black. His reaction would have been something to see I think.

The thoughts he has, his characterization and voice, are on point in my opinion. It all gives of a very Hagrid feel, so to speak.

It was also engaging. I didn’t skim or skip anything. The descriptions and choice of words is also good.

Except for the lack of structure I can’t really find anything to criticize.

Since I swore to myself I wouldn’t read other reviews before writing my own this is all I can think of to say. Thank you for this nice entry. The best I’ve read so far (It’s the third one).

7. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

(Not read the other reviews)

General opinion:

That is an absolute pearl.

Yeah, I really like this. It has everything I like. A strong internal arc, a convincing voice and an obvious change in perspective. It does a lot of clever things well and it fits into a gap in canon, doing a lot with a character we don't often have explored. Hagrid is often taken at face value and I think that's to our detriment. This exploration of his character and history is going to slot into my head as some canon+ as an understanding about Hagrid's perspective on azkaban and his heritage, and also how Sirius learnt some things that helped him hold on while he plotted his escape.

The good:

You showed how Azkaban affected Hagrid subtly. Subtly enough that I don't think I would've have realised actually, until after I finished. The repeat turning of his thoughts toward the worst parts of his life and treatment by others. His natural optimism took some of the sting out of it and I'm not sure we saw it wearing him down rather than just depressing him temporarily but yes, it was good.

This was also the most reasonable example of a terrible ministry and justice system I've seen in a while. It felt 18th century in a good way, with how much fiction was set about the inhumane and unjust treatment of prisoners.

Hagrid's voice wasn't narrative destroying - which is always a plus.

Hagrid's musings directly led to his realisation while also working for the setting, it showed a good chain of logic from his initial distrust of the ministry to the enlightenment of spreading that distrust to other people's case, and losing a little bit of his binocular bit. Just a little bit.

The writing was very good in a general sense. No frills, sure, but workman and steady and quality in a way that suited Hagrid - even if it might not suit everyone.

But yeah. This piece was brimming with so much humanity and introspection without incomprehensible waffle, in service of a character story, I'm down for that, a rarely seen treat in fanfic. Man cannot live on bread alone and all that.

The bad:

In this section I am not including the fact that Hagrid doesn't cast magic, or blow anything up, or rage at anyone or shake his dick at a dementor and say 'get some'. Actually, no, he should have done that last one.

This is a character driven, predominantly internal arc.

That said, it's not entirely smooth, there's some rogue elements. Firstly the climax and moment of enlightenment should be clearer and it should come from the moment of greatest pressure and tensest interaction with Sirius. At the moment it kindle fizzles up like an orgasm that was on its way and self-completed while you were already throwing on your trousers.

Also, I'm not sure Sirius was the right choice for this. He's interesting from an informed perspective, and worldbuildinng, for your story though - not convinced. Someone who Hagrid could gave abraded against more would have lead to more potent internal apoplexy for them both - even in a listless, Azkaban sort of way. Or rather, it should have come to a head, Hagrid thinks Sirius sold out the Potters after all. I'm not sure Hagrid could have reached the same idea if he had found out who Sirius was though, so I think a different character would possibly be best, with an opposing moral view rather than a more nuanced one.

---

So yeah, I liked this. I've got a lot more to quickly read and review but I think I like this a lot.

Edit: having read the other reviews, yeah I see the frustration with Hagrid and Sirius not recognising each other. I think I just unconsciously assumed Sirius was being coy on purpose, because of his shame - to the point that Hagrid thought he must not have gone to Hogwarts because who wouldn't recognise Hagrid's voice right?

I guess you felt trapped by the idea that we never saw anything about Hagrid and Sirius having a bust up in Azkaban in canon - maybe? Or it would have to many canon implications on plot? Not sure. Also not sure I'd buy it.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  8. BeastBoy

BeastBoy Seventh Year

I like how you’ve handled Hagrid’s character. The sense I get reading this is that when he starts to go over his knowledge of various monsters it’s because that is how he copes with the oppressiveness of Azkaban. I like that as a little character detail--thinking about all the magical creatures he cares for and loves is how Hagrid goes to his happy place.

As we later find out, he was talking to Sirius. I feel like it’s a little bit contrived that Hagrid wouldn’t know or recognize Sirius’ voice, but for the purposes of the fic we’ll go with it. But I’ve gotta say, the dialog we get from Sirius doesn’t really sound like him to me. Something about the above quote just feels kind of off...robotic.

While I feel you haven’t captured Sirius’ voice as well, I think you did a fantastic job with Hagrid’s.

This line in particular is fantastically witty:

and I also appreciate how you didn’t go overboard with writing Hagrid’s accent.

In the end, this was certainly the best of the three I’ve read so far. You blended Hagrid’s thoughts, his dialog, and description pretty well, though of the three I think you were maybe a bit light on the description of the prison. I could’ve used some more in order to truly feel the oppressive atmosphere.

I think you captured Hagrid’s voice well, and despite how it’s a bit contrived, the idea of Hagrid and Sirius having a conversation during their time in Azkaban is intriguing.

While I understand that this is to be taken as a character study, I don’t think it offers enough interesting insights about Hagrid or Sirius as characters to exist purely as such. So in the end, it really is kind of a boring plot but with slightly above average character interaction. I wouldn’t say that makes it great, but it’s certainly good. 3/5

9. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So, first of all I really like how you got Hagrid's character exactly right. The deep introspection really fits with the brilliant concept, I just think you could've elaborated a bit more on his reaction to the dementors and the horrible memories they brought up like having a flashback or too.

Like his experience with the giants. I agree that Sirius was an awful choice for him to talk to as well. I think you could've gone with a random oc or Mundungus Fletcher or some other minor character as Hagrid was supposedly in the lower security area. Overall, I loved his inner voice but everyone else's characters were lacking to be honest. Fudge and Sirius were both way off. I think you could have a twist in the end showing that maybe it wasn't Sirius, just another innocent person in Azkaban.

Speaking of endings, this didn't really have one? Like it suddenly skips to him leaving Azkaban and doesn't show the process of him getting out. Which reminds me that in the fic it really wasn't clear whether he'd had a trial at all this time with it seeming like he was reminiscing about the last trial he'd had before as a kid.

I didn't notice a lot of writing mistakes besides the character interactions being awkward/stilted and how sometimes it was unclear who was speaking or not. I wish there had been more focus on Hagrid's thoughts about his situation because that was the bright points of this fic and some more background. Dialogue were the weak parts especially.

One thing that bothered me was him thinking about his time with the giants and how it seemed like he was thinking of Giants as intelligent people? IIRC they're really stupid in canon so I feel like you could mention 'from what he'd deciphered from a friendlier then usual giant' or something as some more worldbuilding.

So, in general this fic started out pretty good and I enjoyed it a lot at first but it went off the rails and downhill in quality honestly. If this had a proper storyline/plot I would give it a 3.5/5, but as it is I would give it a 3/5 still because of the premise and how interesting it was to see a p.o.v from Hagrid.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  10. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    I am torn over this.

On the one hand, you have a couple of really great things going here. The hook of the story is great. Hagrid’s experience in Azkaban is one of the great unresolved mysteries of canon, and this story makes an earnest effort at tackling that period of Hagrid’s life. The addition of Sirius gives it even more canon relevance, and your “Hagrid speech” doesn’t make me want to tear my eyeballs out, which is a definite plus. The rest of the writing is fine, with the exception of a couple of sentences that don’t really make sense – I jotted down “The ground floor of the tall spiral was the same width as the rest of them, but this seemed to make no difference” as perhaps the most egregious example. As such, I can conclude to a reasonable degree of certainty that this story could have profited from another pair of eyes looking it over.

In addition to these minor missteps, there are a couple of things that don’t really add up for me. The lack of a proper ending in particular is quite frustrating. I was expecting Hagrid to recognize Sirius as he’s being led out of the prison as he is released, or to recognize him just before he’s freed. Instead, we get a non-ending that doesn’t resolve the relationship between Hagrid and his mysterious sort-of-friend at all, and a not particularly subtle hint at Hagrid’s future, and even that comes almost entirely out of the blue. It is admirable for Hagrid to be willing to pass on his extensive knowledge, but we never really see the primer for the idea. Secondly, I find the idea that Hagrid doesn’t recognize Sirius at all to be rather unrealistic. Hagrid can identify a random former Hogwarts student, but fails to do so with one of Dumbledore’s former disciples, and one as well known as Sirius Black at that?

The final thing I would like to add is that the story kind of meanders along. We get the obligatory Fudge visit and the interrogation, but other than that we have no real sense of time passing, there’s no build-up at all to the ending. With things as they are, I would say that the story structure is this entry’s primary folly.

A solid 3/5 for me.

11. 9th Doctor

9th Doctor Groundskeeper

Paced well- I feel like this carries itself with thoughtfulness and deliberation. Hagrid's character shows through well- you've actually caught him better here than most fanfiction that I've read. I'm not sure I was prepared for that.

The two weakest points to the story were the lack of recognition between him and Serius and the way things ended. If there'd been some way of showing that the aura of the place stripped away even the comfort of another person's identity, I think that could have carried through to explain why they couldn't tell who they were. An effect of so many of the Dementors is that they remove the positive connections between people... something to that effect? I may be rambling on here.

I'd have liked for the ending to include something more along the lines of ministry employees questioning him. Maybe taking him somewhere else to debrief, and pick his brains a bit more on what the creature might be. I actually thought you'd have them escort him out there, but then I guess that it would have been hard to have that final conversation with Black.

12. Typhon

Typhon Order Member

Since I'm a bit of a shit who has waited until the final moments of the review period to get around to, y'know, reviewing, this will be a somewhat abbreviated review. I've also not read much of the other feedback, and none of it in the last week. You have my apologies for both. To the former, if you want to discuss your story further after this is all said and done, respond and I'll look at it some more; to the latter, I guess you can take it as an extra voice to the chorus if I don't have anything unique to offer.

I may or may not actually finish these by Ched's deadline, but vote or no vote on my part I will finish them. You guys wrote something, so you'll get something out of me.

This is tough for me, because I saw Hagrid and got hype. Like, immediate hype. Both because I think Hagrid is criminally underused in fanfiction but more so because this is such a good time period to set a short story. Give me a canon compliant character piece with Rubeus-muthafuckin-Hagrid pls.

This is where the tough bit comes in. Because I was so happy that someone did the idea, I bulled through stuff that I would have normally paused at. Sure, the last time Hagrid went to an island in a little boat was the happiest day of his life, except that last time was presumably a few months ago with Colin Creevey and no one likes Colin that much. Sure, they didn't detect his wand, except are you telling me that they let a half-giant keep a half-giant sized umbrella on his way into Azkaban just in case it rained on him? Sure, he doesn't recognize Sirius' voic- Wait, what?

I assume the point is that Sirius was hoarse and so Hagrid missed it, but I feel that just strained credulity a bit too much. Which, probably unfairly, kicked me out of "OMGWTF someone is doing the thing" mode and into "why did you fuck up doing the thing?" mode. Put differently, I went from actively excusing problematic things to actively looking for them. So, before I go on, I want to say this is easily the best story of 1-3, and my complaints shouldn't take away from that.

So have some stream of consciousness thoughts about problems in this piece.

I feel the most serious issue here is that Hagrid is a bit off throughout. He's roughly as simple as you need him to be, what with his musings on Death Eaters and politics and ministers juxtaposed with some fairly poignant thoughts - the burden of being rejected as a half-breed by wizards and giants alike weighing heavier on him than his wand being snapped because he's aware he is only one of a legion of people just like him, for instance. It all gets a little noble savage, I feel. This is a tough criticism because Hagrid is one of the hardest characters to write in the franchise, but so it goes.

Hagrid is also too even-keeled for a dude who canonically really did not want to go to Azkaban. His confidence that they'll get him out is too... well, confident. There's no edge of desperation, no "but what if they don't, though?", just pure resignation to wait, with the demeanor of someone who is mildly annoyed the bus is running late. For instance, before I thought about it I liked "Leas' they didn' put me in a zoo. Woulda been among friends, but I wouldn' enjoy the implication" but on reflection that's a super out of place line. Hagrid wouldn't have given a fuck about the implication, he knows (sometimes) that Azkaban is place where it's inmates go to die as often as not, and he knows that the society hates him. I think if there was a forced attempt at being casual in his dialogue and a slightly manic undertone to his internal monologue this would be a great characterization, but as it is it's like he almost doesn't understand what's happening.

Which leads into the last major problem - this feels like Hagrid spent the night at Azkaban Bed and Breakfast. There's no real sense of the horror of Azkaban nor any real sense of passing time. I think the "Hagrid's darkest hour was visiting giants" bit was meant to be a subtle "this is what being around the dementors is doing to Hagrid", and it would be fine as a precursor to the storm, but there is no storm. He's fine. It's a little bizarre if I'm honest.

I've linked my three legs of storytelling spiel below, but I honestly think working through some of the criticism above might be more helpful for you. You clearly know what you're about as far as writing goes, you just need to sit down and really think through your work to take it to the next level.

There are - for me - three legs on which every story rests:
    1. The quality of the writing - this, for me, is primarily about style and clever word choice, but high quality writing is also, of course, minimally technically sound.
    2. The quality of the characters - obviously this is much to large a topic to summarize in a sentence, but some questions for guidance might go something like this: Does a given character feel like a real person? In other words, can the reader get in the character's head to see what drives them and why? Do they have depth, or do they serve only to make the plot work? On a different but no less important note, is the character interesting? Mileage will vary on that point, I'm sure, but if your characters are bland you had better be bringing some prose that'll make Rothfuss sit up and a plot that Palahnuk wants to crib from because otherwise people are going to dump you story half read out of sheer ennui.
    3. The quality of the plot - much like characters, plot is tricky to define. Some questions for plot might go something like this: Is this an interesting story; that is, do the readers care about what's happening? Is my plot very clever? Heartwarming? Poignant? Why am I writing this? This last question is a biggie, so I feel it bears repeating. Why are you writing this?
    Like a stool, a story stands the strongest with three sturdy legs. Also like anyone who has ever owned a stool can tell you, three strong legs can be hard to come by at times. That's fine. You're writing for a fanfiction short story competition, no one is here to rip you a new asshole for not being literally Hemingway (tm). You do need at least two reasonably sturdy legs, though, or else one hell of a leg and a keen sense of authorial poise.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  13. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

This is a great concept. I would love to see a second draft of this. Not for the flow of grammar etc, which are all pretty good. But for the development of an ending as strong as the beginning.

Your Hagrid feels authentic and his inner voice could have been intergrated better but felt very him .

I liked this one a lot. It's already good with the potential to be great 4/4